Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what are your aftertoughts after NAMM 2015?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: So what are your aftertoughts after NAMM 2015? Reply with quote

Personally my top 3 items are :

-Omnisphere 2
-Akai advance pro Masterkeyboard (inclusing software)
-Arturia Beatstep Pro

All in all i am quite dissapointment there was no innovative piece of hardware announced.

I am pretty sure, that Akai has shown the way for VST integration in Hardware workstations... Allowing you to use your VST's in your workstation as if they are local sounds, on top of your own synthesis..

And if they are smart they take it one step further, full audio routing between Workstation adn PC. It would only require a high speed connection that allows real time audio (atleast 16 channels) being send up and down between workstation and PC. Making your Workstation effectively the audio device of your PC.

Why dont the big 3 take this path? it would be great for full studio integration of a hardware workstation... Sadly Kronos 2 will never work this way, as there is no way to transfer more then 2 audio tracks ...

Last edited by Bachus on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sequential Prophet 6
Omnisphere 2
Waldorf NW-1 and Nave for VST/AU
Korg SQ-1

and yeah, Akai Advance is pretty cool.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moog Sub 37 firmware update - awesome features.

Omnisphere 2

Waldorf nw1

Last edited by Ksynth on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSI Prophet 6
Omnisphere is cool Nave vast
Sadly I would rather have hardware then software main because I am tired of fighting for drive space and external drive set up. And hardware is just not in the budget. Thank God I have my Kronos, Maschine, and logic already. Still plenty to keep me busy. Overall NAMM was as last year a couple cool things I would be interested in but mostly Blah. Ever since the Kronos I have been looking for the next innovative leap.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nave vst seems very expensive compared to the IOS version. Its a fantastic program though (at least on iPads).

Seems to me that any port from IOS would not require that level of cost.

Looking forward to Omnisphere 2
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synth, exactly. I will stick with the iPad version and if I was thinking of spending that much i would just as soon save for omnisphere. I understand wanting to make a buck but that is a seriously high price hike for a synth a lot of people, I think, would otherwise buy.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere 2, as unspectacular as the name may be, is VERY spectacular in terms of sound creation and I definitely will upgrade. It's great to see the audio import function has been included, not to mention the things you can do with imported audio.
I thought the Akai Advance controllers were very interesting, as was the Prophet 6.
It's good to see that more manufacturers realize that a controller should be more than just a standard collection of a few knobs, faders and buttons together with a 'good luck' note.
Nektar (especially the Panorama line) has acquired a good reputation for the deep integration with standard DAWs and good aftercare of their controllers line, and I hope more manufacturers will follow.
The Roland JD-XA looks very intriguing, but for an actual demonstration of what it can do and what it sounds like we'll have to wait until Musikmesse.

Today the MIDI HD protocol was up for discussion, and I'm curious to learn more about the outcome and whether or not after many years of talks and discussions a new MIDI standard can emerge.
IK MultiMedia's near zero latency solution for Android devices was a bit of a let-down since it refers specifically to iRig, yet the marketing gave rise to false expectations of a more universal solution.

And as far as workstations is concerned there was nothing new (unfortunately). KORG still rules with the KRONOS originally introduced in 2011. Roland no longer has a presence in the high end range, and Yamaha's Motif is ready for retirement.
Surprisingly the Studiologic Sledge grabbed my attention with the new 2.0 update. For the price it is a very capable and versatile synth.

All in all NAMM was unspectacular, but then again I did not have any high expectations of the show in terms of new product announcements.
Yamaha's Montage and Reface will probably be revealed in the next few months, maybe in between NAMM and Frankfurt.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.

Nothing I was excited by.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Kilko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturia Beatstep Pro
Sequential Prophet 6 (I don't know how to play a piano, but that thing really encourage me to learn! The sounds were amazing!)
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to get my interest. Shocked

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
scottgblood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah these year NAMM was pretty under whelming.

Although on my first visit ever there with my employer, a little bit of me died inside when I had to pay $79.99 for 1 days wifi which was restricted to a single device, but never mind, that's what corporate credit cards are for Smile
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottgblood wrote:
Yeah these year NAMM was pretty under whelming.

Although on my first visit ever there with my employer, a little bit of me died inside when I had to pay $79.99 for 1 days wifi which was restricted to a single device, but never mind, that's what corporate credit cards are for Smile

If you know how wifi works, you would understand that if everyone got cheap free Wifi... it would close itselves down because of collisions... And thats why they obviously keep it exclusive for those that do really need it to do their jobs )mostly press'

I dont think it was underwhelming, espescially the analogue side of Synths got a lot of fancy things mixing the good old with the fancy new... And the music software also showed some very very innovative things..

Sadly, the big Hardware workstation area seems over... and the realisation of this makes me sad... The innovations we see from NI, Arturia and Akai when it comes to mixing hard and software should also have been part of the new hardware instruments.. But Yamaha is way to conservative to notice, Roland has no interest and seems to go back to their synth roots, leaving workstations behind.. While Korg is happy where it is, confidently leading the bunch with their Kronos thats lightyears beyound anything the others have to offer.

Keep in mind however that when companies stop being innovative, and dont invest in buying new innovative components from the smaller companies (which are by default the innovative companies) these companies will eventually loose most of their marketshare..
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really disappointed that Korg did not feature the new Electribe Sampler.

With this new tribe due out by March, I am surprised that there was no mention of it at all!
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hope for a successor to Virus TI2, but Kemper (aka Christoph Kemper, the guy behind the Virus) have been and still are white hot with their Profiling Amps the last few years. And there's still potentially a massively lucrative market for them, waiting in the wings, in terms of porting their technology to iOS, just as Amplitube have done.

I guess synths are a limited market for Access/Kemper now given the market has been saturated with Virus TIs. Given they rely on hardware sales for the Virus, they'd have to release something that would tempt existing TI owners to trade upwards in order to turn a profit, which would be no easy feat. As such I fear the Virus is being completely left by the wayside.
Rockitman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: NAMM 2015 Reply with quote

Sequential Prophet 6 - hands down...Great to see the Sequential name back. I was interested in the Korg Arp Odyssey, but not intrigued by the Slim Keys. I am already trying to get used to them on my RK100s. I suppose they are OK for a Keytar, but I would have rather seen full size keys on the Odyssey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: