Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe2 and Launchpad Pro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillwilson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Electribe2 and Launchpad Pro Reply with quote

I've just seen the demo for the Launchpad pro, finally there is a version with
midi outs (on the same breakout cables as the Korg)

It just got me wondering if the Launchpad and an Electribe 2 could be mapped to work like a realtime hardware Ableton...using the Launchpads workflow for mutes/solos fx and pattern input via its scailic grid controller but using the electribes hardware as a means of storing and replaying the date.

seeing as there is so much missing from the electribe workflow at the moment, this could be a great box to unleash the electribes potential.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds think alike! I am right there with you.

I have been experimenting with the Quneo and the Korg PadKontrol. Both have been great fun and will be controllers for my set up until I get the Launchpad Pro.

The only consern I have is how the launchpad buttons work. I enjoy the feel of the Quneo and Padkontrol pads...which really are about the same as the E2 pads. Launchpads have been known to have a more "click" type feel than the ones I am used to.

I guess the best way to discribe what I mean is to use guitar terms. The trigger pads on the Quneo and PadKontrol have "no action" at all, just touch sensitive. The E2 has just a very tiny amount of "action". The Novations are really "high action" which wouldn't work for me.

The demo by Thavious Beck really gives one the impression that the Launchpad Pro has touch sensitive pads. Lets hope!
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i understand how these controllers work with ableton is that most of the DAW functionality built in is actually scripts inside ableton that give the controller it's functionality. i would assume that the only functionality you would get from hooking up a LPP to the e2 would be straight midi notes output... nothing more.

IF someone could correct me on this that would be great Very Happy
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parameter guide lists everything that can be changed via external midi input. Basically most of the knobs, note values, xy-pad values, current program number... BUT NOT mute states.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ableton also has a midi-mapping option. Anything that sends midi can be mapped/customised to something in Ableton.

It's probably a hassle to setup some sort of chaining but should be possible.
whormongr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually looking at getting a usb host - looking @ the iConnectMIDI4 - and playing around with different configs- I am not sure what the pro has that the mini doesn't - but I have a mini here - the pads are a little squishy

Last edited by whormongr on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop-

I looked for a peramiter guide or manual of some kind for the Launchpad Pro and found nothing. Can you post us a link?

Thanks!
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
apapdop-

I looked for a peramiter guide or manual of some kind for the Launchpad Pro and found nothing. Can you post us a link?

Thanks!

Sorry, i was referring to the Electribe parameter guide!! I don't have Abelton. Sad

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
leehu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. you're not going to be able to do anything with the lp pro other than trigger notes - as someone else mentioned, mutes etc aresn't exposed... the electribe2 does support sysex, although there is no documentation currently and this is more likely to be pattern management I would guess rather than performance.... that said, lp pro doesn't support sysex anyway so thats a moot point Wink
brendanclarke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leehu wrote:
hi. you're not going to be able to do anything with the lp pro other than trigger notes - as someone else mentioned, mutes etc aresn't exposed... the electribe2 does support sysex, although there is no documentation currently and this is more likely to be pattern management I would guess rather than performance.... that said, lp pro doesn't support sysex anyway so thats a moot point Wink

Do you have a reference for stating the Launchpad Pro will not support SYSEX? I'm interested in it, but that would be a deal breaker. It's a curious restriction because they have claimed they will be putting out a firmware SDK. Since there's no functional difference between transmitting standard MIDI and SYSEX, if it is true that it won't do SYSEX, it would mean they've done something weird to restrict access to the send/receive buffers. That would not be open source.
Buska

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more interested in the beatstep pro with the esx2..
16 drum parts and two melody parts that can exceed the 4 bar limit of the esx2, plus the performance features like live transpose on the beatstep and the roll function.

Also should be able to clock the two together and use some of the esx2 parts as 4 bar melody loops, and even use some of the beatsteps drum parts to control an iPad with Waldorf attack or sugarbytes cyclop triggering a melody line within that app..

Could be a really powerful combo!

Or I could just buy an octatrack for similar money lol :p
brendanclarke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octatrack's got a very powerful MIDI loop sequencer and the sample mangling is rad - it makes a great centerpiece, but I wouldn't want to do a performance with just the OT, it needs at least a couple real synth voices to sequence.

I expect the LP pro, when it comes out, won't be able to do much in the way of acting as a 'control expander' for dedicated hardware except assigning 8 column faders as MIDI CC's and the like. That's already pretty cool, but I'm absolutely sure that if they really do release a firmware SDK there will be a huge community of people making custom control firmware for things like the electribes and OT. And virus, hence my sysex interest Wink
Buska

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brendanclarke wrote:
Octatrack's got a very powerful MIDI loop sequencer and the sample mangling is rad - it makes a great centerpiece, but I wouldn't want to do a performance with just the OT, it needs at least a couple real synth voices to sequence.

I expect the LP pro, when it comes out, won't be able to do much in the way of acting as a 'control expander' for dedicated hardware except assigning 8 column faders as MIDI CC's and the like. That's already pretty cool, but I'm absolutely sure that if they really do release a firmware SDK there will be a huge community of people making custom control firmware for things like the electribes and OT. And virus, hence my sysex interest Wink

How about the octatrack with two iPads slaved to it? I think that would be pretty flexible. Lots of great iPad synths like cyclop, nave, animoog, z3ta etc

And I was referring to arturias beatstep pro, as opposed to the novation LP Pro just in case that was missed, all these new boxes getting pro labels Laughing
brendanclarke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would probably be great. Extremely portable anyway. I've never used an ipad for making music though. There are just so many great multitimbral desktop units around either for cheap and used or new and shiny. I got a lot of mileage out of my nova desktop, those go for peanuts and have a great multi implementation.

Octa+ the new emx was something I considered for a little bit too.

Beatstep does look really cool, but I need chords. I think for anyone that only needs midi, if Novation do put out a proper SDK there will be superior sequencers available on the launchpad quickly.
bladuck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to be portable so I too like the launchpad option But the iConnectMIDI4 is wall powered. Sad

I can see myself to put some important mutes (still a dream) on two lines of the launchpad pro grid then volume up and down
cutoff up and down on next 4 lines. When I use the electribe to play keys it is hard to change to other mode and do fast volume changes or cutoff changes. Another cooler thing that crapy integration with ableton would be to have scenes where you can save a few volume changes, transpose changes (that still don't exists) MFX send changes etc.

well but we know that only notes can be triggered outside of E2. arrrgggh!!!

here is where frictin Roland shines. I was able to expose almost all functions vie syses on MC808 and control it with BCR2000. And the MC808 is considered a flap not like this E2 gizmo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: