Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 Sample Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djoxygen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Electribe 2 Sample Questions Reply with quote

i had a question about the sample options on the new electribe.

i am new to the electribe, never purchased one, and this is gonna be my first hardware purchase. there's mention of the sample seconds memory or something that i'm confused about--

In place of the preset PCM engine, you can add your own samples – 999 preset and user samples, with a maximum 270 seconds of sampling time (in mono, or half that for stereo).
-- this is a quote from a review on the new electribe. in particular, the sampler. when they say "270 seconds of sampling time", or, "135 seconds of stereo sampling time"... does this mean there is absolutely no way to use samples unless the total length, (files dont exceed 270 mono seconds, or 1 sample is less than 270 mono seconds.)? like if u have a wav sample that is 3 minutes long, or you have 10 wav files that equal far over 270 mono seconds or 135 stereo. that you will not be able to load these into the electribe?. does this have anything to do w the sd card?

i am planning on taking my full length tracks, and using them as samples for a live setup. but i dont know what this is referring to, or if there's a way to play my full length tracks through the e2 and still set it up the same as using the preset sounds.

another question was the tempo. i noticed the 4 measure (limit?) on each ... phrase i get- before the loop repeats the whole thing. so i was wondering, if i had a 1 minute wav sample, would it loop the whole thing or would it not load at all, or would it cut the sample off at some point, or would the tempo-match (assuming there is one) would it effect how much of the sample i could use? idk if this makes sense, but i was thinking- if i needed to loop a phrase longer than 4 measures, i could just cut the tempo in half or double so there was more space for the whole phrase

now thinking about it- if i was going to do the tempo thing, would the effects be effected? thanks and i look forward to learning alot more. glad to got alot of my questions answered already!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately these sampler related questions are going to stay unanswered for a while until the sampler comes out. Or mistabishi comes over here and answers them.

Ehy they have been so silent about it even at namm is beyond me.
Discore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a total time of 270 seconds. All samples you load in the electribe add up to the total amount of seconds so you can't load more on the electribe than that. So for example you could have 270 one second mono samples. Or 135 one second stereo samples. Or only one mono sample with a length of 270 seconds.

If you want to playback full-length tracks, the electribe is not you what you want. Check out the AKAI MPX16. It's cheaper than an electribe and would suit you better I think.

Last edited by Discore on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
leehu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when are these things going to land?? currently 2 Feb in Uk...
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one knows yet, there hasn't been ANY info given out about the sampler version at all.
djoxygen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much guts, yall r awesome!!
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that it might be possible to load in samples with a lower bit rate and increase the loaded sample time, which the previous ESX allowed. To give an example: if you have 270 seconds in mono at 16 bits, dropping the sample rate down to 8 bits will double that time and give you 540 seconds.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waiting on a hack to import our own PCM sounds in the regular e2
jbl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I don't understand. 270 secs max, ok but with so many patterns you'll def use more than that. And I'm sure it's not 270 for all 999 sample slots. The slots are on the card.
So how is all this organized? When I load a pattern with a new sample, what happens? Silence?
supermel74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the preset samples are really short. Individual drum sounds are typically less than a second and many of the same samples are used in several patterns. Many of the synth/keyboard sounds use single cycle waveforms which are only milliseconds in length but looped to sustain and sound longer.
mr.snooze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Full Tracks on Electribe Sampler Reply with quote

Hi, when i got it right u want your single tracks from your computer tracks and load it into the electribe 2 sampler, to perform them live. From my experience with the esx i would assume this will not be possible, because thats not what the korg samplers are made to do. What u wanna do is only achievable with an electron octatrack. this unit is capable of playing full lenght single tracks of a preproduced track. The electribe sampler is more like an mpc for sure. this means u have to get creative and are forced to produce in a different way and workflow as in a computer production. its more like producing with single shots for drums and short cycle waveforms for synths.
djoxygen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is there anything in between an electribe & an octatrack? budget-wise obv the octa is Rediculous and out of the question, but i dont need a drum machine since i just need hardware where i can arrange my samples into an order to trigger them in a live setting. (i have a yamaha motif6) & the pattern playback is basically what i'm looking for, except i only wanna use my already created samples to loop and stutter for glitch effects. and maybe some other effects to add onto my live dj set. is a sampler the only hardware i should be looking into?
jbl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course there is!
but it depends on what you want to sacrifice and how you want your setup to sound. do you want portable? battery powered? multiple parts? tr sequencing?

off the top of my head, the sp-404 has a beat stutter type effect and can be programmed to play loops quite easily. however, only one part patterns, no tr recording, no resample while playing sequence.

it's all in what you want.

I for one want a microsampler with tr recording. I'm not all that fussed if my patterns hiccup. what I really need to know is how the 270 second limit vs 999 sample limit and 32 gd card will be implemented. and i really want a sequencer with micro-timing in tempo and tempo saving.
djoxygen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll teply to the last two posts in a bit- gotta do more research first. idk if u can do this, but if i were to delete the presets, like the samples that come w the tribe, would that free up memory?
bog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Tracks on Electribe Sampler Reply with quote

mr.snooze wrote:
Hi, when i got it right u want your single tracks from your computer tracks and load it into the electribe 2 sampler, to perform them live. From my experience with the esx i would assume this will not be possible, because thats not what the korg samplers are made to do. What u wanna do is only achievable with an electron octatrack. this unit is capable of playing full lenght single tracks of a preproduced track.

An iPad would suit the OP more for what they want to do. Octatrack is still limited to only 85 MB of RAM and 128 samples per project, or only being able to stream 8 audio tracks at once from the card.

djoxygen wrote:
i'll teply to the last two posts in a bit- gotta do more research first. idk if u can do this, but if i were to delete the presets, like the samples that come w the tribe, would that free up memory?

Nope. That still won't change the total of 270 seconds of mono samples limit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: