Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01/WFD Hissy outputs replacement motherboard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teesquared

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: 01/WFD Hissy outputs replacement motherboard. Reply with quote

Hello all. Greetings and a happy New Year.

I have a Korg 01W/FD. I havent used it much since i've owned it.
A friend of mine borrowed it for a session and it came back with hissy outputs. Sure enough C99 and C100 had burst sending electrolyte all over. Foolishly I left it in this state over last summer in a warm part of the house. I finally got round to fixing it. I've cleaned the splatter at least 7 or 8 times with IPA (No not India Pale Ale), I replaced those caps for higher rated electrolytics, I've replaced R142 and R143. Although the hiss is a little reduced and sometimes after a boot I may have up to 5 minutes of hiss-less use, it will return. All outputs are affected Phones, 1,2,3 &4 although 3 and 4 sometimes are not affected depending on the patch. Connector 100 whic is probably an audtio test point also has hiss.

I have remade and dodgy tracks and the board is once again clean.

Using a very simple signal tracer (Audio amp plus a .1uf capacitor as a probe), I traced it back to the DAC stage. IC34, IC35, IC37 all have hiss on their audio outputs so I'm thinking that its probably in the digital domain.

I do not have and test equipment other than my probe and a multimeter. Has anyone had this problem and solved it? DOes anyone know where if push comes to shove I can obtain a replacement motherboard part No. Korg KLM 1528B?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Tee.
jhulk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to service the psu as its sounds like ripple in the psu filter caps they are failing and why it gets worse over time as they stop charging and discharging the voltage sand let the ac ripple through from the rectifiers

a sign that you already had burst caps is a good sign that others may also be faulty
teesquared

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hulk

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Yes I've been through the PSU board and replaced all the electroletic caps with higher rated ones.

If anything it seems to be getting worse. Going toward the "No sound at all" fault. I am going to have one last go at replacing the main board remaining caps, and the rest of the op-amps, then my budget of time and money will be gone Wink

Cheers.
jhulk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check for cold solder joints on the audio outs as they can crack and can be intermittent this happens to all korgs as they rely on the solder joints as the mechanical strength

i recommend the 90 degree phono 1/4 inch jacks as they dont put so much strain on the sockets where as the straight versions act as a lever which cause gravitational stress on the sockets which can eventually cause the sockets to crack which cases crackles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: