Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caustic Editor for Volca Sample - problems / user-idiocy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stinkhorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Caustic Editor for Volca Sample - problems / user-idiocy Reply with quote

Hello folks. Now that I'm au fait with sequencing songs (yay!) I'm having only varied success with loading my own samples using the Caustic app...

Initially I'd get a FULL message before finishing loading of my 100 x samples (though some of them did load), so I did a bit of research and found that I'd need to delete (with the big red cross on the app) existing ones to free up room. Deleting some of the ones I wasn't keen on *seemed* to work, only the end result now was - no samples at all!

Thankfully, restoring factory settings worked, so at least I have sounds still. Anyone managed to successfully change their sample set with the Caustic app though?

Cheers.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post should help you:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94605
stinkhorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - thanks, yes I think that thread helps - so basically there's nothing faulty; just surprisingly large file sizes: hence - I just tried to replace 20 of the presets with my own samples, and successfully loaded about five in before getting the FULL display on the Volca, even though Caustic said the whole unit would only be 93% full. This time I let the app carry on 'loading' happily, blissfully unaware as it was, and managed to get the five samples onto the Volca.

So it looks like it's a question of deleting as much unwanted samples as possible to free up space, then not filling all the blank spaces with new samples just for the sake of it, as there's not enough real estate there!

(Or, shrinking the file size of my samples.)

(But it's all good: who needs to access 100 different sounds on one little device for any one project?)
Kazoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method of calculating free space seems to be off. I've got a new version in progress that measures another (hopefully more precise) way.

With the VS, it's very much up to you to watch the machine while it's uploading for errors. There is no information passed back to the app about errors or anything, it's one-way only.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the challange is simply put that if you want to use all 100 slots you have to be pretty creative to get "good samples" with just 40 KB average file-size each.

I used for my samples 22050Hz, 16Bit, 600ms sample-length as my "Standard" which worked out pretty well.
I loaded 100 percussion-samples (congas, bongos, djembe, etc.) which makes my Volca Sample to an excellent Volca Beats backup.
(I did not like the original Volca Sample samples)

To get the 100 samples and convert them properly took me many, many hours ......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: