Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No midi on emx2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiteman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: No midi on emx2 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Had a good search on line but can't seem to find the answer.

I want to use the electribe as my master to start/stop the rest of my kiT. TR8, TB3, Xox and Volca sample. I don't seem to be sending or receiving any midi data at all.

Set electribe to internal clock using midi out to Tr8 in. Nothing. Same if connected to tb3, Xox and sample

Set electribe to external midi using midi in From Tr8 out. Nothing. Same if controlled from any of the others

Set electribe to external sync with volca, time clock will sync but no start/stop same with electribe internal clock

All midi cables are fine, tried both electribe midi connectors, tried all midi channels, reloaded firmware, it's not connected to any computers. Am I missing something??
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be those midi adapters. Someone had the same problem and discovered that was the culprit
SadPaper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem and it was driving me nuts. Eventually I took the Electribe back to the store and tested it with a bunch of their gear. We proved that my cables were fine, but that we couldn't get any other devices interfacing with my unit.

Eventually, we worked out that it was the little MIDI adapter dongles that came with my Electribe that were at fault. BOTH of them were faulty! We swapped them out for a pair from a new unit in stock, and everything just started working.

So yeah.. get your dongle checked Wink
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check MIDI IN/OUT filter settings in Global Parameters, they should be set to off.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadPaper wrote:
Eventually, we worked out that it was the little MIDI adapter dongles that came with my Electribe that were at fault. BOTH of them were faulty! We swapped them out for a pair from a new unit in stock, and everything just started working.

Were they wired the other way around or what?
How can something go possibly wrong with such simple 3 wires adapters?

Confused
kiteman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

In the diagram, is the midi connector meant to be facing me so I'm looking at the hole. If so then they both seem fine, tested for continuity and they bell out as shown in the picture with no shorts between the other pins

Looked at both the filter settings and they are off to. Beggining to think it's the electribe Sad
RKO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
I too have this problem.
Went back to my local store and received a brand new electribe(pad six was less sensitive as well),took it home plugged it in and no midi through those horrible break out cables again.
Also ,someone please help me out here. Is in audio input stereo or mono. When I put my stereo plug in all the way,the input sound cuts out completely

I am trying to set this up in my live rig and it's beginning to really bug me.
So two electribes with the same fault. Must be a faulty batch!
kiteman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another updade

Sent my electribe back and have now got a new one. Exactly the same problem Sad

There has got to ge something I'm missing but for the life of me I don't have a clue what it is
DemonLlama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiteman wrote:
Another updade

Sent my electribe back and have now got a new one. Exactly the same problem Sad

There has got to ge something I'm missing but for the life of me I don't have a clue what it is

Do you have access to a PC with a MIDI In? If yes I would download http://www.midiox.com and connect the MIDI output of the E2 to the MIDI input of the PC. Then start MIDI Ox and have a look at the incoming data. If there are CLOCK-Data it's not the fault of the E2.
kiteman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've found the problem

The break out cables supplied are wired wrong.

They are wired as shown in the diagram above but they need to be

5 Tip
4 Ring

looks like a batch habe been sent out with the wrong cables
RKO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, went into store and swapped break out cables.
I haveidi now which is fantastic.
Regarding the audio in. I was so frustrated about the midi cables when I went to test the audio in I forgot to adjust the audio input level. Blonde moment.
Running and external arp in the E2 can have great results. It's just a shame I cannot dial out that annoying audio click on some Osc.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiteman wrote:
The break out cables supplied are wired wrong.
They are wired as shown in the diagram above but they need to be

5 Tip
4 Ring

looks like a batch have been sent out with the wrong cables

I had the chance to check mine tonight (which are ok) with a multimeter, and you're absolutely right:
they are wired the other way around compared to the Sound-on-sound wiring diagram posted above.

So I confirm that this is the Korg MIDI to TRS jack 3.5 adapters wiring that's working for the electribe2 :

5 Tip (Current sink)
4 Ring (Current source)
2 Shield

Weird. Confused
stuart_macneill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my Electribe EMX 2, where the MIDI to TRS adapters just don't work at all.

I contacted Korg UK Support by email and they shipped me out replacement adapters. So this is a definitely a problem that Korg are aware of.
SadPaper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had ONE job, MIDI adapter guy, ONE job....
bilbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Dud midi adaptors Reply with quote

Hey Poumtschak you are right, just tested two new Korg/Electribe midi to 3.5 adaptors out of the box and they are wired incorrectly, also bought some "replacements" on ebay that are also duds, there's a manufacture/supply/distribution issue that is wider than Korg.

The adaptor that came with a new korg sq-1 on the other hand works fine, with pins 5, 4 and 2 mapped to the jack as per your diagram, verified via continuity and tested successfully with several midi devices that conform to the standards www.midi.org/techspecs

Global params also need to be set correctly and midi send/receive channels correlate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: