Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some sounds not loud enoug to use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: some sounds not loud enoug to use Reply with quote

some sounds even after all the standard adjustments are not loud enough
to use.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifics?

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
lilly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Some sounds not loud enough to use Reply with quote

When setting up an sts, I set my master volumes at 80 and my upper rights
At 115. This gives me a little room for further tweeting. Some sounds don,t have enough volume at 127 to come upto this level, even if I shove the mid range adjustment up to the point of distortion.
lilly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Some sounds not loud enough to use Reply with quote

When setting up an sts, I set my master volumes at 80 and my upper rights
At 115. This gives me a little room for further tweeting. Some sounds don,t have enough volume at 127 to come upto this level, even if I shove the mid range adjustment up to the point of distortion.
subhap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Effects processor and Velocity change Reply with quote

I have encountered the same problem. In my old keyboard I can set the Velocity curve which allows you to make the sound louder. I don't know how to do this in pa900 yet. I also play sounds off Roland JV2080 and choosing the right effects processors helps in making the sound louder.
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like the old joke: 'Doctor, it hurts when I do this' - 'OK, don't do that!' Twisted Evil

If 115 doesn't give you enough headroom for the quietest sounds, set it to 100 Idea
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
I have the same issue with Pa 900.
subhap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Global > Controllers Reply with quote

I think if you set Global > Controllers > Keyboard Settings > Velocity Curve. It is set to Medium1. You can change that to say Fix and try it out..

That is global. I am checking to see if this can be set on track by track basis.. not on a global level.
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the curve won't get anything any louder...

It will merely make how loud it CAN get easier to get with softer hits. But maximum is still the same.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned the Limiter and E.Q. settings. If you really want to 'punch up' the overall sound, that's the way to do it I think.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to boost a sound you can create your own custom version of the sound at a louder level in Sound Mode.
Go to Sound Mode and check the Menu, Basic, Ocs Basic levels for each Oscillator. If the highest level is say 100 you can increase all the levels that make up the sound by say 20%. So 100 becomes 120, 90 becomes 108 etc.
Then you can further boost the volume in the Amp menu for each Oscillator if needed. Then Write your sound to a User Location.
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gain structure of the arranger doesn't allow you to pump things up with no limit. Sooner or later, you bump into the system's D/A... It's a bit like a CD - there is a ceiling you cannot go beyond. Jacking EVERYTHING up to be louder simply lessens the headroom you have.

The answer is not to make everything as loud as the loudest thing... the answer is to make the loudest thing as quiet as the quietest thing! Idea
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you having this problem with factory styles? Also what type of sounds are you having problems with?

nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
The gain structure of the arranger doesn't allow you to pump things up with no limit. Sooner or later, you bump into the system's D/A... It's a bit like a CD - there is a ceiling you cannot go beyond. Jacking EVERYTHING up to be louder simply lessens the headroom you have.

The answer is not to make everything as loud as the loudest thing... the answer is to make the loudest thing as quiet as the quietest thing! Idea

I agree with this approach. When all your sounds are in good balance simply raise your overall volume and/or your external amplification.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing the OP could probably easily check is to make a short sequence of him playing the sound he thinks is too quiet along with a style...

Now, take a look at the quiet sound's velocities - Where do you see the vast majority of the notes YOU played sitting on the 1-127 scale of velocity? If almost all of them are fairly low (well under 100) you could try changing the global velocity curve so that your strongest hit gets up close to 127. While this may not solve the problem completely, it will at least help other sounds, as you (if you ARE playing pretty delicately) are missing out on much of the sound's possible dynamic and timbral range.

But if you are already playing fairly normally (the arranger generally comes with the curve adjusted for average strength players) and getting plenty of notes in the 115+ range, the sound itself is the issue. And yes, if it's just one or two sounds, it's probably easier to reprogram the sound itself to be louder. But if you have quite a lot of sounds that don't quite get there, the solution is to lower the style Part volumes, and other Keyboard sounds, as well as adjusting the global velocity curve to suit your touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: