Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monotribe sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laconieauleb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Monotribe sequencer Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Excuse me for all these questions, but i'm a beginner and I fell in love with the Monotribe and play it everyday and want to improve.

I want to play a pattern on my Monotribe sequencer and the have it looped on another device so I can play other patterns on the Monotribe.

In this video he plays his first pattern from the beginning to 2:15 and then save it in his Kaoss Pad and loops it and then plays another pattern on his Monotribe.

I'm looking for a device capable of that but not as expensive as the Kaoss Pad.
I don't really know what I should get. I need an external sequencer right ? Do the Korg SQ-1 or the Volca sample will do it ?

Thanks in advance !
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What you need an external loop recorder to loop the audio output of the monotribe while you play a new pattern.

The Korg SQ1 is a indeed a sequencer, meaning it can send a control voltage pattern that you program in it. But that pattern must be rendered to audio by a synth. Unfortunately the monotribe can not be used as such for that purpose (except if you would hack it). Next to that the monotribe is a mono synth - one voice. Suppose you could let it play a sequence by the SQ1, you can not use to play a second phrase over it.

The Volca sample won't do it either. It can play/sequence prestored samples, but it can not on the fly record and loop those. An iPhone is needed to download a new sample.

Bye.
laconieauleb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Kaoss pad can do it ? Any other device that could do it ?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss RC-505.
With Kp3 you get the KP thrown in. These may be cheaper ,more available 2nd hand (I scored my 2nd one for £110 at CashGenerator high street shop).
laconieauleb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a second hand Kaoss Pad is more affordable for me. Can you explain me how you save and loop a pattern in the pad ? Can you add effects to it afterward ? Do I have to mod my Monotribe to MIDI to sync it with the Kaoss pad ?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have the kaoss pad, but kaossilator, but I guess recording and looping is exactly the same.
You choose a bpm and the numbers of bars the loop is.

Then you hold one of the 4 loop button and it starts to record right away the input signal at that moment.
Hit once more to play the loop. While playing, you can as well overdub the loop with a new pattern.

Yeah you could try to sync both the monotribe and the looper, but typically this is not needed, because you should not use the sequencer on the monotribe. But play it as an instrument and right away record it in the looper and let that one repeat it. You soon will get the hang of the rythm.

If you really do want to use the sequencer of the monotribe together with the looper, yeah, syncing is needed. As you indicate, you'll need to mod it or buy extra equipment which can handle both the analog sync in/out of the monotribe with the midi in/out of the looper and link that somehow together...

Bye.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes much like OpAmp says - you should be fine without sync.
Actually the sync on KP3 is terrible for syncing audio loops with external sequencer's midi, so just fly it in live.
You can use your Monotribe sequencer,it will just be a little ruff'n'ready.
Example -you want to sample a beat onto one sample ,then separately sample a bass sub. Well,hit sample- light flashes on bank "A" on KP. Hit play on MT with synth turned down.Drum plays a few, hit sample "A" to record a loop.Once loop is complete (the lights make it obvious when loop ends) hit stop on Monotribe ,or even reach for your drum volume on MT and lower to zero.Its always going to drift sync in the end but as long as you flow with it ,it's ok.
- So say you hit stop, the KP will continue looping the drum at same volume-in time. Raise your synth amp ,arm sample "B" ,then you will have to restart you MT in time with the sample at this point (which isnt so useful if you were on stage,but fine at home.This is why it can be easier to leave your sequencer running).
You could then quickly take an extra take of more synth ,on sample "C".
Sample "D" is left blank. Stop Monotribe and try some resampling. Put some effects on the beat (LPF & Distortion).do this a few more times -recording over our previous part, then when happy fill our 4th sample with more Monotribe . Maybe some extra hihat of a high lead line played live.
The KP3 is deffo a live performance type thing and a good effects unit for that reason.
It does have the midi sync problem though and if you wanted to get more serious ,playing samples along side your Tribe sequencer running together over long periods of time ,you might want to consider getting something else and modding your Tribd with midi.
Another popular sampler is the Roland Sp404 or Spx404, although I'm not sure which model.
With the Volca sampler you wouldn't need to mod your MT with midi as you can use the sync sockets on both machines.That doesn't sample live though ,as you need a iOS app to load up samples and interface.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Electribe sampler is coming out later this year(June?) and is like the Volca with its Monotribe compatible sync sockets and it may be able to sample live...but no one knows yet.
Keep your eye on the Electribe Thread on this Forum. For €400 ,it may be useful to you.
The miniKP2 might be a cheap idea.- Not sure how well it works for this, but may well behave like a half sized (two sample) kp3.
And the Boss RC-505.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also point out the difference between a looper and a sampler.Loopers record loops on the fly live-like a guitarist,violinist or vocalist making multiple layers of themselves when soloing. Samplers usual require a bit of work getting the sample recorded,then triggered (via midi notes).You seem to want the former (so you can continue riding your Monotribe sequencer).But when the KP act like this here lies its problem -syncing its audio loops with a midi clock.So over time it will drift when running the two together,regardless of any midi clock sync between the two machines.(It was a trick missed or failing ,whichever when Korg designed it).So you will need to stop and restart in time your MT when used with KP-after a certain amount of time(-two drum patterns on both machines will sound bad at 5mins in ,while a synth pattern on one and drum on other may sound better for longer).
The only other bit of kit I recommended that is a dedicated loop station is the RC505. This looks good but is expensive and I havnt tested how well it midi syncs.
You may be best experimenting with a cheap/2nd hand miniKP2 or get the miniKP2-s as this can loop its MP3 player aswell.
I will take this opportunity to recommend a KaOscillator -the original model. Try and pick one up cheap(-I payed £45 for one) because these are a blast plugged into the input of your Monotribe. If you havnt yet tried it,please do. You can try anything through it (like speech off the radio) but melodies that you can drop in real time are best and the KaOscillator has a looper built in,which can be overdubbed/re-recorded on the fly ,then is filtered with your MS20 LPF.(-Monotribe filter).It is also gated by your sequencer.
You can experiment with how a looper syncs live with a KO if you got one,plus the filter disguises any sync shift and it actually sounds good cycling like that.This won't record your MT but is a fun instrument to play through your audio input.
If you like your Monotribe lots,maybe go down the root of buyin more similar boxes. Another Monotribe? Those Volca keys? These both sync with your MT seamlessly. All you need is to record the jam onto a computer if you have access-or even a tape machine or CD burner(stand alone).This could be more entertaining (-be warned- addictive too.Ive read a post by someone with 10 Monotribes-with lots of mods).
laconieauleb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! Thanks for this super detailed answer. I'm definitely gonna have a look on the Korg KO and the Korg mini but yeah maybe the best solution is to simply go for another Monotribe or a Volca.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking ,maybe the KaOscillator 2 mini could work for your looper. I believe it loops audio in.You are jus trading the effects for a highly playable synth engine.maybe that would of been a simpler (shorter) answer ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: