Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS20 Kit & SQ-1 Package
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenzies

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutiny in Jonestown wrote:
MemorY wrote:
And hey.

In the pictures what are the button under all the knobs? The buttons that are just left of the junction bays. What are those?

It's very interesting as the 14 buttons on the bottom left of the case are blocked with plastic plugs. I've read that some people have examined the back of the PCB's and found additional labelled input/output patch points that are just sitting there waiting to be soldered for additional modular patch capabilities. On another forum some people are expecting that Korg will later announce how those 14 plugs can be used for the expanded PCB module patch points. I'm not that electronically savvy to know for a fact what the story is, but it's very curious about those 14 pre-drilled and plugged up holes. At 1st I thought they were there because Korg was repurposing the same metal front panel as the existing MS20 full size keyboard kit, but that kit doesn't have the 14 holes there. They were specifically put in the new MS20 module and the question is (of course)...WHY?

All of korgs analog stuff has labelled points on the circuit board that show extra functionality not implemented. Volcas, Monotrons, all of them. I think the plugged holes are there so you don't have to go drilling the front of your unit when you make new connections.
This video shows the labelling on the board. http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/02/23/sonic-lab-korg-ms-20-desktop-kit/[/url]

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
MemorY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
MemorY wrote:
And hey.

In the pictures what are the button under all the knobs? The buttons that are just left of the junction bays. What are those?

It's very interesting as the 14 buttons on the bottom left of the case are blocked with plastic plugs. I've read that some people have examined the back of the PCB's and found additional labelled input/output patch points that are just sitting there waiting to be soldered for additional modular patch capabilities. On another forum some people are expecting that Korg will later announce how those 14 plugs can be used for the expanded PCB module patch points. I'm not that electronically savvy to know for a fact what the story is, but it's very curious about those 14 pre-drilled and plugged up holes. At 1st I thought they were there because Korg was repurposing the same metal front panel as the existing MS20 full size keyboard kit, but that kit doesn't have the 14 holes there. They were specifically put in the new MS20 module and the question is (of course)...WHY?

All of korgs analog stuff has labelled points on the circuit board that show extra functionality not implemented. Volcas, Monotrons, all of them. I think the plugged holes are there so you don't have to go drilling the front of your unit when you make new connections.
This video shows the labelling on the board. http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/02/23/sonic-lab-korg-ms-20-desktop-kit/

That is awesome! I just don't know what I'd do to it. I'd kinda be scared to do stuff to it. Smile I love that little 2 minute demo he does with it! I love that sound!!! I can't wait!! Very Happy Thank you for the post!
maguiar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

just got an ms20 module + sq1 and trying to integrate it with my setup the best possible way but im having a few niggles lol im sequencing the ms20 via cv plus a microkorg, a microbrute and a tr8 via the midi out of the sq1 going into a midi thru box. its all well and good and i get clock sync on all machine but the sq-1 is sending pitch to the microkorg and the microbrute too which ideally i dont really want. i want the sq-1 to send note information to the ms20 only via cv and clock only via midi. is this asking too much? Smile

thanks
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemorY wrote:
Frenzies wrote:
MemorY wrote:
And hey.

This video shows the labelling on the board. http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/02/23/sonic-lab-korg-ms-20-desktop-kit/

That is awesome! I just don't know what I'd do to it. I'd kinda be scared to do stuff to it. Smile I love that little 2 minute demo he does with it! I love that sound!!! I can't wait!! Very Happy Thank you for the post!

Just watched the video and regarding the circuit board, it appears each patch point has an associated ground point. I've never done mods like this before (though I've spent enough hours with a soldering iron to handle the mechanical aspect of it) but it seems it should be just a matter of attaching the patch point and it's ground to the proper points on a 1/4" input jack and mounting it in one of the predrilled plugs in the case. Is it really that simple??? Am I risking serious damage if I get the patch point and the ground mixed up on the 1/4" input jack? If so, can someone tell me if the ground point from the pc board goes to the tip or shaft of the 1/4" plug?
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
MemorY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got my MS-20M, and I can't find the serial number. Is it on the body or the circuit board(s)?
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemorY wrote:
So I got my MS-20M, and I can't find the serial number. Is it on the body or the circuit board(s)?

It's on a label on the top back of the unit near the power input. Mine says something like "MS-20 Kit 000091" Wink
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: