Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the New Kaossilator 2S
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: the New Kaossilator 2S Reply with quote

Hi, what are your thoughts on this forthcoming Korg Kaossilator 2S?

http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_KO2s_OM_EFGS.pdf

Worth upgrading from your current model?

The undo facility is good news and don't mind forking out an extra tenner for a PSU either.

But how about Korg giving away a packet of spare 'fins' for these models? You know, the little yellow bits that are apt to break off if you sneeze at 'em. Smile

regards
bradkorg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again some small update, the +,x,s next vers. is 2SX+
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you loose 1 track but gain undo and not much else. They should have made undo an update for the old version.

You can always try the iKaossilator.
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradkorg wrote:
Again some small update, the +,x,s next vers. is 2SX+

2SX+Finless? Smile
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Looks like you loose 1 track but gain undo and not much else. They should have made undo an update for the old version.

You can always try the iKaossilator.

Yes, I might try the iKaossiltor when funds allow.

But I would insist on a pair of fragile yellow fins supplied, perhaps secured by gossamer-thin elastic ready to break at the hint of a gentle breeze.

They could also double as a catapult to annoy sparrows when I'm in a peevish mood.
Randy|Kaoss

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just recently started to appear on sale in the UK.

Anyone got it yet?
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy|Kaoss wrote:
It's just recently started to appear on sale in the UK.

Anyone got it yet?

Hi, pre-ordered one of these from Andertons six weeks ago (£90) with ETA of around late June. Currently selling on Ebay around £125.

Guy here enjoying his new one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFp3xgwyagk

cheers
Randy|Kaoss

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the first Kaossilator and I'm seriously tempted by the 2S, especially being able to export into a DAW.

It's being reported as In Stock at a few retailers online. Dawson's seems to be the cheapest at £119.

I saw Anderton's were advertising it at £90. I wonder if that's the price it will drop to once the initial rush is over.
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy|Kaoss wrote:
I've got the first Kaossilator and I'm seriously tempted by the 2S, especially being able to export into a DAW.

It's being reported as In Stock at a few retailers online. Dawson's seems to be the cheapest at £119.

I saw Anderton's were advertising it at £90. I wonder if that's the price it will drop to once the initial rush is over.

Might be some wait Smile - the Kaossilator 2 (the 2-loops one) is still selling for £120 ish on Hebay and Hamazon. My humble opinion is that the original 2-loop one might be preferred for live performers.

Future gripe: Okay, Korg, where's my usb port? Smile And these blasted micro-SD cards! but thank goodness for tweezers
Randy|Kaoss

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one from Dawson's last night Smile Was showing as in stock, so hopefully arrive early next week.

Yes, MIDI over USB would be great, remove the SD card slot and add a couple GB on-board storage. Wouldn't add that much to the cost.
Happy Jack

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy|Kaoss wrote:
I ordered one from Dawson's last night Smile Was showing as in stock, so hopefully arrive early next week.

Yes, MIDI over USB would be great, remove the SD card slot and add a couple GB on-board storage. Wouldn't add that much to the cost.

For anyone interested, a tip on how to avoid broken guidance fins of the back cover, if I may. Possibly a major contribution of snapped fins is trying to force the back cover on whilst it is upside down. Smile

How to remove the back cover of your Kaossilator 2 / 2s

optional: inside the back cover (when it is off), draw an arrow to indicate right way up, plus a reminder that the micro SD card slides in with the contacts side uppermost.

1. Place your K02 upside down, screen side down, on palm of your hand.

2. Use your thumb of same hand to press the black tab to release the back cover.

3. Use your free hand to lift the released cover.

Refitting the back cover:

1. Place the back cover on palm of hand, right way up.

2. Using your other hand, slide the K, top side first into the topmost guidance fins.

3. Click into place by squeezing the bottom screen and cover together.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the KO2. Played around with it for a while and had a power problem so took it back for a replacement and never took it out of the box so it's been some time since I used one. Anyway, with the K2S becoming available I decided to look closer at the differences.

I tend to agree with Happy Jack that the KO2 might be better for live use as it has dual loops. It was a pain not having undo but constant save/reload was always an option.

Not having to hold the Loop button while recording with the K2S is a plus.

It seems that in many cases when Korg gives something, they also take away. Anyone have other thoughts on differences between the two?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you Bald Eagle,about Korg taken things away. It seems they are keen to change things up and try different things ,which shows they are experimental I suppose (and why we have the KO in 1st place).It can be bewildering (-annoying ).
Don't know about V2 or 2s.I like the original KO for its larger size and simplicity.It also has scale OFF which is a feature I really like allowing for Monotron type FX glides with all the voices(-plus GateArp sounds great).
Sorry off topic abit and not what you are asking..
Randy|Kaoss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Kaossilator 2S yesterday Very Happy

(I have the Kaossilator 1, but never used the K2)

I'll start with the bad points...

1. Build quality is shockingly bad. Screen is very slightly squint, printing on the back cover is squint and the back cover doesn't fit well, with obvious gaps at the top of the device. OK, I know it's only £120, but, for example, the Volca units have much better build quality. Also, the K1 build is rock solid.
2. It's a drag having to remove the back cover to access the SD card. USB please Korg!
3. If there's an SD card present, why doesn't it save the current config when you switch it off? Even without an SD card this would surely only be a few KB of memory. I found the quickest way was just to load a loop from the SD card as those seem to have the configuration (i.e. BPM, loop length etc) embedded.

Good points:
1. The audio engine is STUNNING! One of the major drawbacks of the K1 is that the drums are terrible. They are great on the 2S, really slamming through my studio monitors. The new SFX are great too.
2. The range of presets and arp patterns is just right - not too many to wade through, and every preset is useable.
3. Export to Live - I have Live 9 Suite so didn't need the copy of Live Lite that came in the pack - the export works perfectly with each overdub appearing in a separate track in Live. This is the killer feature IMO.

So, generally, I'm very happy with it so far. Hopefully it won't fall apart too quickly!

Very Happy
Randy|Kaoss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found some time to really explore the 2S.

Banged this track out earlier Smile

https://soundcloud.com/gnollinz/kaossfeary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: