Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beatstep pro from arturia demo really shows great capability

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Beatstep pro from arturia demo really shows great capability Reply with quote

So yeah i know you can't really compare the beatstep pro and the e2 since once roduces its own sound and the other controls other instruments, but i just have to share with with everyone, also listen towards the end for the features that they are still adding before it comes out... pretty awesome stuff, the guy did a great demo IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lciolLc8mfI&spfreload=10
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I haven't picked up an SQ-1 yet... Want to see more of this...
bladuck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me understand this ... beatstep ~ 16 track sequencer ... do I need 16 cables and 16 external units to get me excited the same way as I'm excited while working with E2 ?

I used to be cable/unit collector. ... At the end of the day it just kills the creative juices to connect 8+ power bricks and 8 + midi cables and make sure all midi cables are doing what they are supposed to do.
Since this is a sequencer what about motion recording on individual units ? ... agh... I need 16 monkeys

If you an analog+patch guy (collector) with a lot of space and time ... I suppose beatstep would be great for you.
Buska

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be great paired with the emx2/esx2.
Higher resolution sequence, longer sequence, performance features..
Buska

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope there's some way to back up the projects on the beatstep pro :/
jbl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the computer, I bet you can.
And it's 16 patterns per program, 16 programs which is pretty good as it is.

I hope we can tweak the drum part to make it more like a 3rd synth. And I want midi sending through midi and usb outs on all three channels for all parts.
thesigma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
let me understand this ... beatstep ~ 16 track sequencer ... do I need 16 cables and 16 external units to get me excited the same way as I'm excited while working with E2 ?

I used to be cable/unit collector. ... At the end of the day it just kills the creative juices to connect 8+ power bricks and 8 + midi cables and make sure all midi cables are doing what they are supposed to do.
Since this is a sequencer what about motion recording on individual units ? ... agh... I need 16 monkeys

If you an analog+patch guy (collector) with a lot of space and time ... I suppose beatstep would be great for you.

It's not really a 16 track sequencer in the way you are thinking. 2 synth tracks, 16 drum tracks, 8 of which have analog trigger outs if you have analog drum gear, the synth tracks also have cv gate. If you stick with midi you can have two synths and a drum machine/sampler, I'm pretty sure you can still use all 16 drum tracks on midi, but it was a while ago I watched the video.

So not an electribe or even just the sequencer part of the electribe, I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything like motion record. Still a big upgrade over the original beatstep and very useful, not just for collectors. I for instance have a roland R8M and a rack sampler with no internal sequencer, and a pro one without MIDI. I also have the space to leave gear hooked up(though I have not always had the luxury).

So I guess it's not for you and that's cool. I can't. Really see a need or use for this with any of the electribes. I'll agree working in one box has many advantages but I personally can't get over the variety of sound you get from different synths and gear.
Steinberger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Electribe + SQ-1 is a surprisingly useful alternative to BSP Reply with quote

Bumping this thread back into view since the Beatstep Pro is now out. I have an alternative to it for those who already have an Electribe and a couple of analogs and don't have an analog drum module.

Add a SQ-1 to your setup. Done.

Here's what I do:
1) Electribe 2 with MIDI Out Filter Off. Clock Sync External.
2) SQ-1 with default receive MIDI settings of CV/Gate A on ch1 and B on ch2. It's passing MIDI I/O through USB. Clock is default Auto.
3) Module #1 (MS-20m) receiving MIDI on default ch1
4) Module #2 (System-1m) receiving MIDI on ch2. This is also the Clock Master.

Whenever these modules VCO/TRIG In are jacked into they no longer respond to MIDI note messages and are responding to the CV/Gate source (SQ-1 or other module). If the SQ-1 sequencer is running it is modulating according to the on board sequencer and ignoring incoming MIDI messages. If the SQ-1 is stopped it is receiving MIDI message ready to be a MIDI to CV converter.

Example: If, on the Electribe, you are playing a sequence or triggering the pad on Part 1, which is communicating on MIDI ch1, and depending how you have the SQ-1 jacked into Module #1, you will either cause the SQ-1 to MIDI to CV/Gate convert your notes to Module #1 OR your MIDI notes will go directly to Module #1 leaving your SQ-1 free to modulate whatever you want according to the sequencer. You can even limit the SQ-1 to one step, full gate and you now have a control knob for your mod.

Why a third device for Clock master?
The reason I use one of the Modules as a clock master for the Electribe and SQ-1 is because if I use the Electribe then it's going to start/stop my SQ-1. I don't want that since I want to be able to control them independently. What's cool about the System-1m is that it's just constantly outputting the clock and no transport control. It can be any 3rd clock master however.

I understand the setup seems a little complex and you're going to have to find a way to get all these hubbed together but if you've already got a bunch of stuff like this talking over MIDI it may just be a matter of jacking the SQ-1 into a hub and go. Otherwise you're going to need a thru box setup from your Electribe. An iConnectMIDI4+ also works well out of the box.

Just remember to reserve Part 1 and 2 on the Electribe for sequencing and control or your analog gear and set them to Mono giving polyphony back to the other parts.

I really think the Beatstep Pro is a cool idea if you have all the kind of gear it supports. It's a good price too. I'm glad, however, I tried this approach and am now happier and surprised this actually turned out less limiting and maybe even a little more feature rich. I did not previously consider the Electribe and SQ-1 as being such a powerhouse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: