Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA 600 and DAW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tblack

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: PA 600 and DAW Reply with quote

I have spent the afternoon trying to figure out if I can get the styles to record with instruments on separate tracks in Sonar. It seems like I need to set up something in global media. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? The manual is a little weak around this part. Unless I am not looking in the right place.

Any help would be appreciated. I am using factory styles and Sonar Platinum. Running USB with Korg USB driver loaded. I can get a midi instrument to play within Sonar so I think I am getting midi messages sent.

Thanks,

Terry
Snorkum

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't really understand what you are trying to do.
But if I would guess, I think you try to record a style from your keyboard into your DAW.
What I used to do I saved the style in MIDI form and than iported it into my DAW and changed what I needed to change. Worked great for me. I think you can do that also with the 600.
tacman7

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been finding parts and using them in my DAW for songwriting.

You mute everything you don't want then bounce it or record it.

The DAW sends midi clock to the korg and the korg is on external timing.

So I'm making audio files of the style parts. Then I name them for the style and part info.

I record a whole note chord sequence and send it to the korg on the control channel.

Then record the sounds it makes. I also put in program changes so it will switch variations and fills.

Nice way to try a lot of different sounds/styles for something you're working on.
Tblack

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: PA600 into DAW Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I think I need to explain a little clearer.

I can record audio fine. It is the Midi information I am after.

I would like to set up 16 channels of midi in my Sonar and match to the 16 midi channels in PA600. I would then play a song using a style and capture that as a midi recording in my DAW. From that point I could edit the parts easier, add virtual instruments to change up the sound and mix with other audio parts etc. Basically using the PA600 as the base for starting songs and then building them out further.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks,

Terry
Snorkum

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did when recording a song. I did exactly what was written on Page 151 in your manual. It explains how to set the MIDI channels in your Keyboard. Connected it to my DAW. Setup up my DAW with "NEW PROJECT". Pressed record and recording. Your styles should be set between 9 - 16. I am not sure if you can change that. I have never tried.
Make sure your DAW can receive channel 9 - 16 and not turned off.
Sometimes it's hard to troubleshoot if you cannot see the problem.
Hope this helps.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PA600 into DAW Reply with quote

Tblack wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I think I need to explain a little clearer.

I can record audio fine. It is the Midi information I am after.

I would like to set up 16 channels of midi in my Sonar and match to the 16 midi channels in PA600. I would then play a song using a style and capture that as a midi recording in my DAW. From that point I could edit the parts easier, add virtual instruments to change up the sound and mix with other audio parts etc. Basically using the PA600 as the base for starting songs and then building them out further.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks,

Terry

You could also use the onboard sequencer to record the song using a Style. You could then save and impot the midi file into Sonar.

tacman7

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not 16 tracks of styles coming out of the pa600.

You can turn on what goes out in global.

You still need to sync the setup to get it right.

I pull the midi out of the box when I need it, no problem.
tacman7

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried to do what I said I could do but it wasn't working.

I did get it working before but I had some strange things going on last night, I wasn't getting any midi output at all.

I need the keyboard as an input device but not a style control.
Styles are controlled from the DAW.

On the micro arranger it wouldn't put out the midi from styles unless local control was on.

There was a setting to get the midi output going PA600 that I have to find, had it once.

Some gremlins lurking somewhere in there.

DAW's in general can't handle 16 incoming midi channels from one port. It can handle it but it records all data on one track and you have to dissolve the part and make tracks from channels to get the tracks you want.

I was doing that but then I got to liking the sounds on the PA600 and working more with audio.

Studio One is a lot more slanted towards audio than midi. I go into cubase if I need midi processing.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacman7 wrote:

DAW's in general can't handle 16 incoming midi channels from one port. It can handle it but it records all data on one track and you have to dissolve the part and make tracks from channels to get the tracks you want.

I don't know about Studio One but you can easily do that with ProTools. I mean you can record 16 incoming Midi tracks simultaneously with each on a separate channel using one basic midi port! ProTools is not even considered a midi software primarily. I can't imagine this not being possible with other DAWs that are more midi friendly. I don't even remember when was the last time that Avid updated midi features.

You would need to set the input of the midi track to Channels 1-16. If you leave them to "All", every midi channel will receive information from all 16 channels which will be a mess.

tacman7

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to output the midi from the style parts ok today.

Global-midi-midi output tab

But I was having gremlins, later on it wouldn't follow the guide chords.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: