Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is EM-1 the best option if you're going vintage Electribe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
circuitghost

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Is EM-1 the best option if you're going vintage Electribe? Reply with quote

Friends at the forum,

I've just acquired an ES-1 MKII. On purpose, I'm scanning the market for vintage Electribes - vintage meaning anything before EMX and ESX and nothing after. I like the dirt they produce, the filth they make.

So this little guy needs a synth friend, and I wonder if the EM-1 isn't the best option to go. Looks great in black also. It seems the most versatile, with both drums and synth in one package.

What do you say? Am I missing one of the classics here or am I pursuing the right instrument?
sohatyi

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an ER1 and an EA1... The ER1 has a feature no other electribe has, proper analog drum modeling (you can kind of do it on the EMX I'd you're willing to sacrifice your synth parts but it isn't quite as good). It's just a shame they didn't release a beefed up version with 16+ voices and decent snare. The delay is mental on that thing, can turn things into a crazy time warp of noise. Oh, and it has two inputs you can modulate and gate, which is an entire other dimension to the beast.

The EA1 on the other hand, just two voices and limited oscillator options make it (for me) a real damp squib. You can make it get down and dirty though, so it's not all bad.
Novation: UltraNova, Nova
Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X, DX11, DX Reface, YC Reface
Other: Zoom R24, Quasimidi 309, Beat Thang, Akai MPC1000 and a couple of Omnichords
Buska

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The em1 seems to have a pretty big following..

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/etm.php

Check out the user reviews at the bottom of the page
thesigma

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned ( and still do) an es1 and ea1, always wanted and still do, the er1, I electribe just made me want the hardware more. I was never too interested in the em1, though I had a friend who got some good sounds out of it.

The ea1 is rather limited, no LFO, very basic only lpf, but it's good for bass lines, though in no way will it ever sound like a 303 if that's what you're after. You can get some good effects sounds out of it too, and it's still useful for sequencing better sounding synths.

I'd rather have an EMX1 than an EM1 and the price difference isn't going to be much nowadays. Of course this is just my opinion.
Buska

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:
I owned ( and still do) an es1 and ea1, always wanted and still do, the er1, I electribe just made me want the hardware more. I was never too interested in the em1, though I had a friend who got some good sounds out of it.

The ea1 is rather limited, no LFO, very basic only lpf, but it's good for bass lines, though in no way will it ever sound like a 303 if that's what you're after. You can get some good effects sounds out of it too, and it's still useful for sequencing better sounding synths.

I'd rather have an EMX1 than an EM1 and the price difference isn't going to be much nowadays. Of course this is just my opinion.

Ahh is iElectribe the ER1 cloned ? thats dope if it is...
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:
thesigma wrote:

Ahh is iElectribe the ER1 cloned ? thats dope if it is...

The iElectribe for ipad is fantastic. Expands on the ER-1 and has a few tricks up it's sleeve that NONE of the hardware Electribes have.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
circuitghost

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what I'm after is that broken digital sound. Not analogue, I got enough of that, and not pure, cause that to me isn't all that interesting, but rather the funky beats you can get out of something that sounds rough and imperfect, but all the more wild for it. I don't want the classic 303 sound, I don't want the ladder / curtis / steiner-parker-stuff.

Actually, the OP-1 is close to what I'm after in sound, but it's a pain to use and really just too bloody expensive.

To me, the older tribes sound kind of like digital abominations, in a good way. But I've never heard or tried one live, so that's why I'm wondering.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLmk5YtLToQ

Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's nothing to gain by adding the ER-1 if you already have the iElectribe?
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:
So there's nothing to gain by adding the ER-1 if you already have the iElectribe?

You get the audio in feature with the hardware unit which ring mods synth part 4 with the audio input. The sound is beefier too and there's the fun factor of twiddling real hardware. But yep, the iElectribe takes things that bit further whilst staying in the same ballpark.

brambos

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing between the ER-1 and the EM-1 is tough choice to make. I love both. The ER-1 is awesome for tinkering, whilst the EM-1 has to be the groovebox with the fastest workflow on the planet. It's insane how fast you can hammer out something nice with that machine.

I'd say if you have the ES-1 already, prioritize the EM-1 and then get the ER-1 later. Mind you, EM-1 was pretty hard to find when I was looking for one. Much rarer than the ER-1.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
Hugo wrote:

You get the audio in feature with the hardware unit which ring mods synth part 4 with the audio input. The sound is beefier too and there's the fun factor of twiddling real hardware. But yep, the iElectribe takes things that bit further whilst staying in the same ballpark.

Interesting, thanks. I was thinking about picking one up a while back, but decided not to. I already have the EMX, ESX, Electribe 2 and the iElectribe, so I guess I wouldn't gain much from adding the ER-1. Other than having yet another machine - which is, of course, reason enough to buy it Wink
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:
apapdop wrote:
Hugo wrote:

Interesting, thanks. I was thinking about picking one up a while back, but decided not to. I already have the EMX, ESX, Electribe 2 and the iElectribe, so I guess I wouldn't gain much from adding the ER-1. Other than having yet another machine - which is, of course, reason enough to buy it Wink

Using the hardware ER-1 can seem like taking a step back from the iElectribe, but it goes soooo well with the ESX-1, which i see you have!!

circuitghost

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLmk5YtLToQ

Powerful stuff.

I wonder, though, with only two synth voices - there's a point where limitations stop being interesting and just become obviously lacking. I find these older Tribes to have a sound more attractive to me than the newer ones, but compared to sixteen tracks, 24 voices and so on and so forth, the limitations of these older instruments might be too obvious a product of their time.

I don't know, you're a very productive and talented musician, what's your take on that? I don't mind working with small resources, but today, there are limitations that just don't offer interesting challenges anymore.
circuitghost

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brambos wrote:
Choosing between the ER-1 and the EM-1 is tough choice to make. I love both. The ER-1 is awesome for tinkering, whilst the EM-1 has to be the groovebox with the fastest workflow on the planet. It's insane how fast you can hammer out something nice with that machine.

I'd say if you have the ES-1 already, prioritize the EM-1 and then get the ER-1 later. Mind you, EM-1 was pretty hard to find when I was looking for one. Much rarer than the ER-1.

Yep, over here in Sweden, I've seen one in about one year's time. They're just not available. I'm having doubts on its limitations regarding synth voices, though. I don't mind working with limitations, and in fact I prefer it, but compared to what's out there today, two voices in a box the size of much more, I'm still on the fence. What would bring me over is the way it sounds, but even crunchy YouTube demos don't do enough to convince me. Hearing one live would help. Or jus a goddam great recording somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: