Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What unit plays original quality for imported/self made samp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DimensionX

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: What unit plays original quality for imported/self made samp Reply with quote

I've heard some units not being able to play original quality for imported sounds. I've heard this is compensated by being able to do more flexible effects chains and deeper sample editing capabilities, whereas the ones that DO play the imported samples closer to, original quality EXCEPT... That is compensated by less flexibility. Is there a comparison of what a sample sounds like originally and then what it sounds like in a sampler?

in regards to portability, I imagine the more powerful the unit is, the bigger it may be but, I am looking for something that is the MOST portable with the HIGHEST quality imported sample playback with the MOST flexible features.

I am absolutely NOT looking for a band instrument OR anything that connects to a laptop. What I am looking for is:

- Ability to load my own one shots/drums without stopping the sequence
- The ability to control the volume of each sound
- FX on each individual pad: compressor, reverb, various distortion etc
- Filter knobs that I can control more than one parameter
- The ability to change any of the sounds pitch/filter envelope's attack, hold and delay to create stabby and swelling sounds without stopping sequence
- Ability to control pitch subtly for oscillation movement (but that just sounds like i want a synth and they are too big!)
- Ability to play chords (again, might be too much to ask for, I suppose I can just pre write the chords in ableton)

Idea that fell through: Electribes because they don't play samples at original quality (although I heard the new ones are at 48000khz but I'm not sure if that makes it play better quality)
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm curious to know what you will find to fit your needs...
IMHO I think you want a bit too much and conflicting features in one package... especially because you want some of the things controllable while the sequence is going on...

My take would be a combination of some boxes, e.g. several Korg Volca Samplers, all together synced and pushed through a mixer.
You can upfront load your samples in it. Use one box per sound, using the mixer you can mute one and select then another sample. Each of the box has his own buttons to tweak filter, attack. So full flexibility without menu diving. Limited effects of course.

Concerning the sound quality. I don't know. I would also not focus too much on that... It is a given that as soon as you start processing your samples, you lose something here and there (quantization, rounding, ...). Question is whether you will hear it, especially in the mix. Of course look for devices with at least a 44.1kHz sample rate. But except if you are into 8-bit chip tune and make use of game boys, I bet all devices today are ok. (Although I just remark that Volca has only 31.25kHz...)

Bye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: