Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help: Can't hear combi tibres (MIDI Ch.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltraBird

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Please help: Can't hear combi tibres (MIDI Ch.) Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm having a strange problem with my MicroStation. I can't hear any timbres but Timbre 1 in any INIT COMBI, thus preventing me from making my own combis.

I have discovered that the problem stems from the fact that for an INIT COMBI, by default only Timbre 1 uses MIDI Ch. 01G, which is the only channel that the MicroSTATION uses for audio out. My problem is that I can't change the MIDI Ch. for any timbre: when I try to edit it in the menus, the up and down arrows don't change the channel number. When I use NUM LOCK, I can make the MIDI Ch. change to another blinking number but when I hit "enter" it reverts to the original channel, not the channel I entered.

I *can* change MIDI Ch. for a timbre using the MicroSTATION Editor on my Mac, and this resolves the problem, but I don't understand why I can't do it on my workstation directly.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal behavior, your microStation only listens to e.g. MIDI channel 1. You can user other synths for the other MIDI channels.

You also cn change the global midi channel and then play that particular MIDI channel. In a sequencer you can use all MIDI channels depending on which MIDI channel the track is recorded.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
UltraBird

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it normal to be unable to change the MIDI channel for a combi timbre as I described above? This literally makes it impossible to create combis, since I can only hear one voice (the one going through 01G).
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you can't change MIDI ch or a few other things whilst any notes are playing. Make sure you have nothing hanging in the release stage, or a sustain pedal held down.

Sustain pedal has been known to cause this problem actually. Particularly if it is a non-korg pedal where you've had to change the polarity in Global settings.

Also, use Gch (at the end) rather than 01G. It makes your patches more portable if you want to share them with others.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
UltraBird

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my non-Korg pedal polarity! Thanks!!!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UltraBird wrote:
It was my non-Korg pedal polarity! Thanks!!!

You can change the polarity in the global page.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gustavomx

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Still useful tip Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Normally you can't change MIDI ch or a few other things whilst any notes are playing. Make sure you have nothing hanging in the release stage, or a sustain pedal held down.

Sustain pedal has been known to cause this problem actually. Particularly if it is a non-korg pedal where you've had to change the polarity in Global settings.

Also, use Gch (at the end) rather than 01G. It makes your patches more portable if you want to share them with others.

After many years, this is a very useful tip, thank you very much, I was having problems with my Krome and it was a Roland pedal I was using!
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing LOL

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: