Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5th grade band

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: 5th grade band Reply with quote

So my son next year can join band, something I never did, I was a wrestler, but he want to so I am all for it. Now instead of snare like I hoped he wants clarinet! I have no idea how to shop for a clarinet, ideally rent for year until I know he will stick with it. Anyone have any knowledge of clarinet they can share? Good brands to rent and try what to look for etc?

Sadly I have also been told their piano teacher has dropped most of her students so now I have to find a new piano teacher. The closest will be about 30 miles away! bummer!
Deane

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very important to buy a top quality Clarinet such as a Buffett B13. They are not cheap - but even a novice beginner benefits from such an instrument. The mouth piece and reeds are also very important. Consult with a very good professional teacher about the mouth piece and reeds. One other
point- a top quality clarinet will maintain it re-sale value if things go south. Many beginner players fail to progress because they play inferior reed instruments and do not have great teachers.

Hope this helps.

Deane
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist off, which clarinet? Eb? Bb?

Yamaha and Buffet both make good instruments. Though it's more expensive, get a wood body rather than plastic: wood's tone is far superior, and it makes creating sounds feel that much better.

The mouthpiece is a very personal thing, so I'd start out with a cheaper one until he develops proper embouchure, and knows what he wants. Then you get screwed into buying a really expensive one! Very Happy

Used is okay- just have the action checked by someone who knows what he's doing: that might be harder to find than you think!

..Joe
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I already asked about a solid yamah at my mom and po, they supply all the bands around here. I have no clue as to which key the instrument should or will be. What did Artie Shaw play?
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
What did Artie Shaw play?

Depends. Artie Shaw bounced around with creating and disbanding bands as needed for the particular time, and used instruments to fit the needs of a particular type of band. I know that used a 6-ring "symphony" model with the articulated G#, and a Selmer BT, ("Balanced Tone") which is not considered a proper clarinet for today's playing. IIRC, it has a huge sound, and requires a lot of air.

Though, it is still considered the "ultimate jazz horn."

That said, I believe he played a Bb instrument. (Based on his signature piece- "Interlude in Bb.")

..Joe
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: