Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG unleashes ES2 demo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom 62

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
How many stretch parts? How many slice parts? How many keyboard parts? How many one-shot parts? Can you have however many slice/stretch/keyboard/one-shots you want to fill the 16 parts? Fixed number of each? Does it slice? Does it allow keyboard parts? Or is it just a sampe playback machine? These are the things that i'd really like to know and unless i'm mistaken this information is still under wraps (not that my finger is anywhere near the pulse of such things).

Some of your questions are already answered in the Electribe's user guide (which has been updated few weeks ago and now contains also some informations about Electribe Sampler).

The Electribe Sampler supports slicing but no stretching. There is no longer a difference between keyboard parts and drum parts. Sound generation can based on factory samples, user samples or on the following 16 virtual analog oscillator models:

SAW
PULSE
TRIANGLE
SINE
UNI-SAW
UNI-SQU
UNI-TRI
UNI-SINE
SYNC-SAW
SYNC-SQU
SYNC-TRI
SYNC-SINE
HPF NOISE
LPF NOISE
LOFI NOISE
REZ NOISE
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:
Ted3000 wrote:
Samplers are file playback devices - they don't have a sound.

Absolutely not true. I have probably owned 1,000 samplers since the 1980's and most of them have a distinct "color"..

Speaking of color, most people are convinced they can taste the difference between lemons and limes. Pop a blindfold on, and people's guesses are no better than a cointoss.

I think if you had a well-recognized sample, such as the Amen Break, and 3 samplers from 3 different eras - an early low bitrate Akai, a late-90's lossy Roland, and something new like the Octatrack, you might get them right in blind taste-test.

But I don't think the majority of samplers have a sound. A workflow, sure. Signature built-in effects, fine. (Who can forget the SP-303's honky range-limited steppy lowpass filter?) And maybe some samplers are used in certain genres more than others.

But all the magical thinking and forum pseudoscience won't convince me that every sampler has it's own sound.

What did we expect the e2s to "sound" like? Was there ever a chance the the samples would all be put through a non-bypassable pseudo soft clipping tape saturation simulation, a default low boost circuit, or an antique NOS 12-bit converter?

In fact, the Export to Live card function on the e2 samples the output. Same hardware as the sampler. So the e2 samples too. No one has described the Live stems as "sounding" like anything except the pattern that was exported.
wasstof

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:

What did we expect the e2s to "sound" like? Was there ever a chance the the samples would all be put through a non-bypassable pseudo soft clipping tape saturation simulation, a default low boost circuit, or an antique NOS 12-bit converter?

In fact, the Export to Live card function on the e2 samples the output. Same hardware as the sampler. So the e2 samples too. No one has described the Live stems as "sounding" like anything except the pattern that was exported.

But there's no denying that the e2 DOES have a distinctive sound all of its own...
(Dons steel helmet and runs for cover!)
And Now a Volca Sample...
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out what my Chime In trigger is.

I'm pretty sure that when I'm perfect, I won't read forums or argue with anyone. I'll just sit underneath a tree with a transistor bass, and if anyone asks me a question I'll just crank the resonance and the EG amount.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom 62 wrote:
apapdop wrote:
How many stretch parts? How many slice parts? How many keyboard parts? How many one-shot parts? Can you have however many slice/stretch/keyboard/one-shots you want to fill the 16 parts? Fixed number of each? Does it slice? Does it allow keyboard parts? Or is it just a sampe playback machine? These are the things that i'd really like to know and unless i'm mistaken this information is still under wraps (not that my finger is anywhere near the pulse of such things).

Some of your questions are already answered in the Electribe's user guide (which has been updated few weeks ago and now contains also some informations about Electribe Sampler).

The Electribe Sampler supports slicing but no stretching. There is no longer a difference between keyboard parts and drum parts. Sound generation can based on factory samples, user samples or on the following 16 virtual analog oscillator models:

SAW
PULSE
TRIANGLE
SINE
UNI-SAW
UNI-SQU
UNI-TRI
UNI-SINE
SYNC-SAW
SYNC-SQU
SYNC-TRI
SYNC-SINE
HPF NOISE
LPF NOISE
LOFI NOISE
REZ NOISE

Thanks for this. If that's the case then i'll hang on to my internal organs for now. Very Happy

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
mikejarod

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom 62 wrote:

SAW
PULSE
TRIANGLE
SINE
UNI-SAW
UNI-SQU
UNI-TRI
UNI-SINE
SYNC-SAW
SYNC-SQU
SYNC-TRI
SYNC-SINE
HPF NOISE
LPF NOISE
LOFI NOISE
REZ NOISE

The manual says somewhere:
Stereo samples play in stereo if assigned to an odd-numbered
part, and play as Mono Mix if assigned to an evennumbered
part.

So I guess it will do 8 stereo parts or 16 mono parts?
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom 62 wrote:
The Electribe Sampler supports slicing but no stretching.

Yeah, I don't know about that.. Maybe, but releasing a sampler without time-stretch, in this age, is product suicide.

Ted3000 wrote:
What did we expect the e2s to "sound" like?

Honestly, I expected super-compressed, in-your-face EDM, with thick, rich subs and crisp highs; supersaws on every keyboard part relenting only for the Sausage-fattened 808 kicks via sidechain compression.

I understand that not every sampler has it's own sound, but the ESX certainly does and that's a bad thing. Now, of course you are right.. and it's possibly because Korg has chosen many of the same out-of-touch composers to create many of the new patterns, but I *swear* these demos feel a bit too much like stock ESX patterns. =)
Automageddon

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unleashes is too much of a strong word...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: