Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe EMX2 - What are you using yours for/as?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenzies

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N3V3RM1ND wrote:
Frenzies wrote:
Mine is the central controller of my live set up, directly controlling 3 synths over midi and syncing my Volcas.

This is what I'd like to do as well.. But I'm having trouble assigning midi channels. Getting my synths to slave to my e2. Need help.

As Tarekith says the midi channels are fixed so you have to work within those constraints.
I run midi out to a Kenton Thru 5 splitter box which goes out to my Flashback delay for tempo sync and to other synths.
i have an MS20 mini which is fixed to channel 1, so track one always controls this. I have set my Microbrute to channel 2 so track 2 controls this, for some reason i set my Gaia to channel 7. My Volca keys is set to channel 4 and i plug in the cable when i need to trigger it from the e2. Both the Volca bass and keys are also synced from the sync out of the e2, with the sync unit set to either 1 or 2 steps depending on if i had to set up the e2 pattern at half speed to get 8 bars. i usually just play Volca patterns and use the transport controls on the Volcas as they are really easy to press in time, unlike many other units.
I use all 5 pin DIN midi cables because, being an old man, thats what I've always used and prefer it to USB. All the external synths that accept clock take their clock from the e2.
Being lucky enough to have been provided with breakout cables that weren't faulty i have found no problems with getting my external synths to do whatever i want over midi, if you go a bit deeper into your problems with your synths we may be able to come up with some ideas.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Harryfox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine with a Kenton 5 thru connected to an ES-1, ER-1, Microbrute, Blofeld, Volca Bass, Akai Sampler and a Monotron Delay. All run through a Lexicon Reverb, Dbx comp, Behringer Modulizer, Alesis 1202, AirFX and an Alto mixer. I have a Lexicon Vortex too but it's poorly and I don't know how to fix it Sad

Now the weathers starting to get warm I can't wait to get some batteries in it, head down to Hyde Park or the Uni steps to hook it up with a bluetooth speaker and have a nice jam in the sun. Smile
bladuck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only Kaoss mini pad2 ... I got sick and tired of most of the cables so my goal is to minimize number of cables. so with KMP2 I'm down to two. Headphones and 1/8" to connect these two. ... no power bricks a do batteries b/c I need to move a lot (I have small kids) and I want to get from "A" to "Z" idea to completed work in short period of time.
... did I mention that I hate to use computer b/c I see them most of my every day schedule.
Kcearl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using mine as a sketchpad.
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kcearl wrote:

so this means that you would go to a DAW to complete the idea ?
Would you use the ableton export for that ?
or you hookup the midi sync and audio out and record those two tracks to DAW. ..Just curious. I do use ableton but not too happy with the integration level that korg gave us.
Kcearl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
Kcearl wrote:

so this means that you would go to a DAW to complete the idea ?
Would you use the ableton export for that ?
or you hookup the midi sync and audio out and record those two tracks to DAW. ..Just curious. I do use ableton but not too happy with the integration level that korg gave us.

Ive just bought it but I will likely export any ideas via a Live project. I like the integration, what is about it you dont like?

In truth ive got way better options in my studio but a newborn is making it off limits...I bought he volcas but i cant just pull all four out on my lap (though ive recorded an entire track just using them, great little boxes). Ive tried ipads but they just dont do it for me. The electribe seems to fit the bill...but id love a basic song mode like the volca sample, with Live export.

I hope korg continue to update and improve it.
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kcearl wrote:
what is about it you dont like?

The ableton integration of E2 is "OK". But all you get with it are wave files. If there was an E2 VST then you 'd only need to get the MIDI data form E2 and continue with capital "C" the work on Ableton.

The existing so called workflow with ableton is another half-baked solution for this modern lets-recycle-all-fatures-we've-developed-so-far era of electronic music gizmos.

What is wrong with each of these cool products that needs the umbilical cord called USB with computer ? Maschine, Ableton-Push and others that NEED to be connected to computer!

A computer mouse is one of the most ridiculous tools to express a musical feelings ... one hand one finger ? really. Sorry but I'm taking about the time when DAW was in diapers..
If you don't believe me that PC/MAC mouse sucks then why Maschine and Push exists ?

For example when I play a SOLO on a guitar I create sound with 4+ physical transformation between me and the instrument. Here are things that I do control in a realtime while soloing on a guitar: The Pitch, the velocity/strength, the string Position, string muting & picking stile and the fifth is a feedback all at the same time. Brain->5 channels -> instrument->cool sound.
Well of course... the human voice is the ultimate transformation "device". Then the next in the list are some string instruments (violin, chello) , then some saxophones, .. then synths with a lot o knobs (such as E2:) and then other blah blah piano without dumping, the harpsichord and harp are at the end of the food chain.

That is why most of the solos in past 20 years are done on guitar, saxophone, violin some synths and of course Jordan Rudess

As I said in other threads, the Electribe products are the closest to get the idea from head to a musical canvas/event with a minimal support of external gear.
death_club

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the E2 primarily for a new techno project. Using Sync Out to clock a Make Noise system and integrating it with some monome stuff. Really digging this little box - limitations and all.
Kcearl

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
Kcearl wrote:
what is about it you dont like?

The ableton integration of E2 is "OK". But all you get with it are wave files. If there was an E2 VST then you 'd only need to get the MIDI data form E2 and continue with capital "C" the work on Ableton.

The existing so called workflow with ableton is another half-baked solution for this modern lets-recycle-all-fatures-we've-developed-so-far era of electronic music gizmos.

What is wrong with each of these cool products that needs the umbilical cord called USB with computer ? Maschine, Ableton-Push and others that NEED to be connected to computer!

A computer mouse is one of the most ridiculous tools to express a musical feelings ... one hand one finger ? really. Sorry but I'm taking about the time when DAW was in diapers..
If you don't believe me that PC/MAC mouse sucks then why Maschine and Push exists ?

For example when I play a SOLO on a guitar I create sound with 4+ physical transformation between me and the instrument. Here are things that I do control in a realtime while soloing on a guitar: The Pitch, the velocity/strength, the string Position, string muting & picking stile and the fifth is a feedback all at the same time. Brain->5 channels -> instrument->cool sound.
Well of course... the human voice is the ultimate transformation "device". Then the next in the list are some string instruments (violin, chello) , then some saxophones, .. then synths with a lot o knobs (such as E2:) and then other blah blah piano without dumping, the harpsichord and harp are at the end of the food chain.

That is why most of the solos in past 20 years are done on guitar, saxophone, violin some synths and of course Jordan Rudess

As I said in other threads, the Electribe products are the closest to get the idea from head to a musical canvas/event with a minimal support of external gear.

I think you may have over thought it Wink
111213forlife

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after playing around with my new electribe for a few weeks, i'm starting to use it as the main instrument in conjunction with some of my other korg gear. here's a video i made with my kaossilator 2 and mini kaoss pad 2 with it...
https://youtu.be/TMOAYYxFZRU
check it out, and let me know what you think!
Paega

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N3V3RM1ND wrote:
Frenzies wrote:
Mine is the central controller of my live set up, directly controlling 3 synths over midi and syncing my Volcas.

This is what I'd like to do as well.. But I'm having trouble assigning midi channels. Getting my synths to slave to my e2. Need help.

The trick with MIDI is getting the settings exactly right on both machines. What specific issues are you having? I had almost no trouble getting my E2 sequencing any of my other gear so far.
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Standalone grovebox for a liveset, though I will probably end up pairing it with an iPad to help with transitions between patterns.

I saw your video using gadget and the e2
Whenever i try that the pattern on the e2 triggers the synths in gadget
How did you work that out?
Cheers
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm triggering Gadget by hand, it's not MIDI synced in that video. You can turn off note transmit in the E2 as well.
captain johnson

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
I'm triggering Gadget by hand, it's not MIDI synced in that video. You can turn off note transmit in the E2 as well.

Need some more vids of you rocking the E2 man Smile
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set almost ready to go, I just have been getting distracted with some other projects I'm working on. Hopefully in the next week or two I can get something recorded though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: