Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 Sending Program Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnonname

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Electribe 2 Sending Program Change Reply with quote

Is it possible for the E2 to send via midi cable a program change that would indicate to a Roland TB-3 to change its pattern?
I have 3 pattern sets programmed on the E2 that are chord based (A,D,E) and would like the bass tone of the TB-3 to match these chords as I change the pattern sets on the E2 in a live situation. There are 3 patterns already programmed on the TB-3 with proper tone to match each chord. Just need to be able to make a pattern change on the E2 and have it change the TB-3 also. Right now I have to change it on both units by hand and that's a little tricky the faster the tempo goes.

Thanks for any input!

John
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e2 series transmits and responds to program change messages.
nnonname

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone might say that.

Where would I look to find out how to do this? I want each pattern set to send a different message which tells the other unit to change its pattern. I can't find anything in the menus or submenus that looks adjustable for this type of data entry. Maybe there's a "hold some button down while you power the unit up" trick that holds the key?

Again, I'm transmitting through the 1/8" midi out adapter which has a 5-pin midi on its other end. Then into the TB-3 via its 5-pin midi in.

Thanks, John
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be something on the TB-3's end.

I sometimes have a Bass Station II hooked up via MIDI so I can program it faster. If I change patterns on the e2, it changes patches on my BSII, and vice versa. (I actually don't want that to happen but can't stop it.)

The e2 has a MIDI filter under Global but I think program changes are always on. You might crack the TB-3 manual for MIDI clues.
nnonname

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would those patches be like different instruments, or like different patterns on your BSII?
blackholesun

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the TB-3 would have to accept program changes as well.

I've noticed when sequencing an Audiothingies P6 from the E2, that the program change makes the P6 patch change to the number that matches the pattern E2 is on. Pattern 40 would change the P6 patch to 40. Something to think about.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if I change patterns on the e2 from 001 to 002, my synth will switch it's internal patch from 1 to 2.

Works the same in reverse. I change sounds on my synth, and the electribe changes patterns.
thesigma

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that if the e2 is like older units, the program change is sent on pattern change and is fixed to the pattern, ie not editable, so you would have to have the corresponding program change set in the tb3. If they are even using the same pc scheme. Might do you well to check your messages in midi ox.
nnonname

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.

It seems the TB-3 isn't currently capable of changing its patterns via a program change. I'm not sure if it would require a program change or a control change either. Not real midi savvy but enjoy trying. The program change sent by the Tribe might change the patch (sound) by bank and number. It doesn't seem to though. Research on the Roland shows others have a similar issue as I have.

TB-3 is still a cool component in my new synth set-up. As is my Electribe. I have the two mentioned, a pair of Volcas, Keys & Sample, and the Sub-Phatty. They all go to a small mixer and I can either use headphones or go out to a pair of Alto 12" load speakers, which sounds amazing.

That's how I use mine, so far just around home. Cool toys we have guys and girls. Have a good day and thanks again!

John
pedro666

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just control the tb from the electribe?

i.e program the pattern into the electribe and send midi to the tb3,that way you dont have to rely on the tb3 to change patterns.

this is what i do,also other midi devices to
cross9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone with MIDI problems on the Electribe 2 it's worth noting that some of the 3.5mm -> MIDI cables may have the wrong polarity and won't actually work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: