Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos key weight changed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
Pleasantly surprised that there's been positive responses to your topic, half expected more criticism, gasps of horror…

I had to hide behind the sofa!
But, kudos. Admire your bravery.
xx
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the action on my Kronos X88. Has a great feel. It is expressive and responsive to the touch. I think your customization is admirable and if it does the job for you, great.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes…I initially got nervous with the idea,especially if done in situ.
However,the keyframe itself can be removed from the instrument with the work carried out on a bench/table,which could provide better access and better control of the debris during the cutting operation.
Not sure if savont did it that way,or not, as the whole project has gone to plan anyway,it doesn't really matter now,but perhaps worth knowing if anyone else wants to attempt the modification.

I'm still pleased it has been a success !
Also appreciate the documentation,plus photos.....thanks savont.

Best Wishes.
savont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, the whole keyframe was taken out, and the stiffening metal brackets that run the whole keybed taken off and all work done on a bench. I took care not to move the sensitive contacts as i didnt want some issue with them moving and the hammers no longer properly hitting them. At the time I knew there was going to be alot of sparks flying around with the associated metal grinded off.. and Later of course alot of vacuuming and cleaning.. The metal grinds could have done terrible damage to the internal electronics. Something i have noticed since is there is a little less of a thud when I play a key, possibly the result of less force required to push it down. The thud is still there but not as bad, which i think is possible since theres about 1/3 (approx 15g avg) less mass now to push the key down.
For me it was either do the alterations or forever keep wishing the action was better, or find another midi keyboard, but then have the possible issues of midi delays. So i "bit the bullet" but just on one key initially to test, I thought if it stuffed the action somehow i would then find a way of gluing it back, but as it turned out, it was fine for me. Just for info I have been into electronics since i was 10, i built a synthesizer at the age of 14 using integrated circuits via Electronic Today International magazine 4600 construction plans as i couldnt afford a minimoog at the time. So i have plenty of electronics experience.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

savont
Thanks for further information,interesting to read the details and of course reassurance that the method used was in competent hands(I had no real doubts,really….. Smile ).
Well done,my friend.

Perhaps the "thumping" could be reduced by using different felt strips….but that's a project for future consideration,maybe…???

Anyway,time to enjoy the "new" keyboard,then….Have Fun.

Best Wishes.
jazzydanz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Nice job! Reply with quote

Good for you! Guess what?

I did something very similar. I found the action on the Kronos 2 73 to be too heavy so I took off every key and sawed off about 3-6g of metal off each one with a reciprocating saw.

I find the result to be pretty decent.

I have been thinking about one thing, though. The feel of the key hitting the bottom of its travel feels a little abrupt to me. I was wondering if putting in a different type of key felt strip might make a difference....

hmmm.....
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that Korg heard your wishes and launched Kronos LS in 2017 Smile

I really like the RH3 Keybed but I dont like the weight of the Kronos 2015 88 -> 24,5kg...

So for nex gen Kronos I would suggest something around 15kg with 88 fully graded RH4 Keybed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: