Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 Touch Screen. Will it eventually be an issue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: M3 Touch Screen. Will it eventually be an issue? Reply with quote

I am in the market for an M3. I really like the looks of the keyboard, and have always loved Korg. Owned Triton Extreme, Karma, X3. I notice though that a lot of sellers boast replaced touch screen. Do they go on this model so often that I should eventually plan on replacing it? Or say you buy one with a Korg Authorized replacement... will that be more stable / reliable than the original? Maybe it was some kind of defect Korg has resolved in the replacements. Thanks so much for any replies.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original M3 purchased in 2008. The touch screen on that is near death. I also have an M3 Expanded purchased in 2011. So far no issues with that touch screen yet.

A while back it was hard to get a replacement so I keep a spare on hand. Got it from http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg-touch-panel-m3

It's not like it fails on every M3 but it seems to happen often enough that it's a concern. Also, replacing the touch screen is not a task for everyone. You have to disassemble the module to get to it from the bottom up.

That being said, I wouldn't let it bother you. When it starts to fail it's gradual so you'll have time to plan for replacemnt.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bald Eagle, thanks so much for the response. So, it's sort of a matter of time thing, they wear out with use, I take it. I was looking at an M3 with a newly replaced touch screen. Presumably that should last a while, like your 2011 purchase.

Is it something that you find yourself going more gently on the touch? To try and preserve it? Thank you again.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
Hey Bald Eagle, thanks so much for the response. So, it's sort of a matter of time thing, they wear out with use, I take it. I was looking at an M3 with a newly replaced touch screen. Presumably that should last a while, like your 2011 purchase.

Is it something that you find yourself going more gently on the touch? To try and preserve it? Thank you again.

I don't treat it any differently. Things just wear out, some sooner than others. If you are really worried you can do a lot of the programming using the PC editor.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, great idea. I can connect to my macbook pro via USB and edit patches? Thank you again for any reply.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The editor should work fine on a Mac.
foxy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on both this forum and online. There's loads of information available.
dysamoria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine gives me trouble in the summers only, it seems. Seems to be moisture/humidity. My Roland V-Synth XT has the same problem. If i switch it on and it doesn't work, i leave it on for a few hours. It dries out and starts to work fine. The M3 usually needs to be restarted after it dries out, otherwise it still wont respond. My V-Synth XT shows a bubble under the touch membrane, but the M3 doesn't. i have to guess with the M3.

i also run two AC units in the third floor where this stuff lives to help keep it cool and dry it out a bit. So far, the drying from running the devices (warms them up) solves the problem. It is annoying, but workable.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M3 with the dying screen used to revive itself after being on for some time but no such luck lately. It's completely unresponsive and worse when I turn it on it goes into a reboot loop for a few cycles before finally starting. Hopefully it's just the screen but it looks like it's time to take in in for repairs.
Airlock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently my M3 touchview screen revived itself after being exposed to high temperatures and high humidity for nine days when my central air-conditioning died. I was not happy to expose all my gear to those conditions but it did cure the (totally inoperable) Touchscreen. Brutal 9 days but AC has been on now for 2 weeks or so and the M3 is working as-new. Cool all around! Very Happy
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you from experience that once the screen starts to fail intermittently, it will most likely completely go at some point.

I had one ready and waiting for when that day came and there can be a long delay of back orders for that part. I'm ordering another spare now so I have it if/when my other M3 needs it.

Parts is Parts is a good source ...
http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg-touch-panel-m3

The reboot problem I had mentioned was not screen related, the PSU was failing FYI in case anyone else has those symptoms too.

I had mine serviced at Davidson Electronics. I highly recommend them for anyone in the Long Island area.
Airlock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
I can tell you from experience that once the screen starts to fail intermittently, it will most likely completely go at some point

Yep, it took a couple of weeks but the touchpad is totally inoperable again. I shouldn't have wrote about it. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for the link, what's the degree of difficulty installing one of those?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not for the faint of heart. The entire module has to be disassembled. To get to the touch screen you pretty much have to remove everything.

Here's one vid showing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBp4rqR09xI
Windsofsoul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I sell the M3 repair kit on Ebay and have sold many over the past 2 years. Less than .5% of people that have purchased the kit have had any problems and all but 1 was caused by not reattaching connectors or by putting the screen in upside down. But if you follow the directions and you watch your screws you'll do fine and I'm willing to help if you have problems!
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you have to disassemble it, but there's no soldering involved! It's just basic disassembling and reassembling. Watch the youtube video and you'll have no trouble doing it. You can get the kit on ebay and it's great.

It's funny, I read somewhere when I first bought this that the screen was supposedly good for 2,000,000 touches or something like that. I don't think I've used my M3 nearly that much, and was surprised when the screen wore out. I am tempted to just buy another kit just to have on hand for when THIS screen goes 8 years from now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: