Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos editor ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizona Sage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos editor ? Reply with quote

I will sound like an extreme noob (which I suppose I am) but can someone explain the benefits of using the editor as a standalone to program and edit progs, combis, and set lists vs simply editing on board the Kronos directly? I have the newest OS installed as well as the editor on my Windows PC but haven't paired the two just yet via USB.

I did a general search here and didn't see specific posts regarding broad overviews of the editor or find any descriptive YouTube tutorials. Forgive me if I'm missing the absolute obvious here. The Kronos is really my first deep dive into the Korg world.

I've got a K88X. Thank you for any help or resources you can provide that will shed some light on this for me as I'd like to fully take advantage of the tools provided.

Kronos X88 OS 3.04
Mainstage/Omnisphere/Keyscape/Korg VST/M- Audio/Keylab controllers
Kemper Stage
PRS/Charvel/Jackson/Gretsch/Gibson guitars
Niarf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you test it, you can see if using your mouse will be better for you. Personaly, I don't use the editor =)
Ableton Push
Where's my Kronos ?
JimH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the newest Kronos, but on the original the screen isn't angled. So you can get a sore back after a while leaning over it to see it. At least with the editor you don't have that.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger screen, better angle - more information available on screen at once. I find it a lot faster.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick dumb question. I haven't used the editor much but have been trying it for the last few days. In Program mode, when you right-click and select STORE I assume this is supposed to be the same as doing a WRITE PROGRAM on the Kronos, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Is it only storing in the software program?

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Quick dumb question. I haven't used the editor much but have been trying it for the last few days. In Program mode, when you right-click and select STORE I assume this is supposed to be the same as doing a WRITE PROGRAM on the Kronos, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Is it only storing in the software program?

Busch.

It depends on the mode that you have the editor in. In virtual mode, "Store" will just store the edit back to the bank location that the data came from.

If the editor is in "Synchronized" mode with the Kronos then a "Store" will write into the memory location in the editor's bank as well as store the edits to the same location on the Kronos.
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos editor ? Reply with quote

Arizona Sage wrote:
I will sound like an extreme noob (which I suppose I am) but can someone explain the benefits of using the editor as a standalone to program and edit progs, combis, and set lists vs simply editing on board the Kronos directly? I have the newest OS installed as well as the editor on my Windows PC but haven't paired the two just yet via USB.

I did a general search here and didn't see specific posts regarding broad overviews of the editor or find any descriptive YouTube tutorials. Forgive me if I'm missing the absolute obvious here. The Kronos is really my first deep dive into the Korg world.

I've got a K88X. Thank you for any help or resources you can provide that will shed some light on this for me as I'd like to fully take advantage of the tools provided.

Along with the advantages mentioned above you have far superior bank management with parent/child relationships so organizing elements in a bank is far easier and as you move elements around in a bank any other data referencing the elements you are moving are updated. For example, if you move a Program from one location to another, all of the Combis and Set Lists which reference that Program are automatically updated to main the links.

You have more options for data entry: mouse, scroll wheel, direct numeric entry, editing via a remote keyboard.

Infinite undo

Set List text entry is far faster and easier

Data backup

Creation of midnam, Ins, and patchscript patch name files covers most of the major DAWs (ProTools, Performer, Cubase, Sonar).

And so on...

The editor also has an additional set of features when it runs inside a version of Midi Quest.
kevinh_12345us

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]The editor also has an additional set of features when it runs inside a version of Midi Quest.
Quote:

Will there be special pricing for Midi Quest for new Kronos users?
Also what additional features?

Thanks
Kevin
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a discount for Kronos users.

There are some fairly significant differences in the Kronos editor between the Korg UniQuest version and Sound Quest's Midi Quest version.

- Offline Sample Management - the Kronos sample information is maintained on the computer allowing for both offline editing of sample based programs, drum kits, and wavesequences and faster editor load times even when the Kronos is connected.

- Search by Engine type - the Category/Program select dialog allows program filtering based on the program's engine type(s).

- read/write PCG files.

- Export bank names in the following additional formats: Logic environment files, Reaper, Powertracks, and ASCII text.

- Generate a sample cross reference file - for each sample in your Kronos, the Programs, Drum Programs, and Wavesequences that use it are listed

- Access to an online library of 31,000+ unique DX7 voices converted to Kronos MOD-7 programs with tags automatically assigned. This includes the "200,000 DX7 Voices collection" with the 170,000 duplicate voices removed.

- Help Links into the Kronos manuals allow you to quickly access the specific part of the manual that contains the information you need (Windows only)

- Custom written Mix, Mix All, Morph, Blend, and Gen 4 new patch creation tools intelligently generate new programs based on existing programs. These tools are particularly effective with Kronos engines that don't rely solely on samples.

- Midi Quest's multiple window environment supports more intuitive patch management. Drag one or more Set Lists, Combis, Songs, or Programs from one Set to another and all referenced resources and sub-resources (Combis, Programs, Drums, Wavesequences) are copied as well. This includes collision testing and resolution.

- Bank drag editing can be configured as: drag / swap, drag / copy, or drag / insert instead of being limited to drag / swap

- enhanced graphic editing - many static graphic displays are active in Midi Quest allowing operations such as HD-1 and drum level mixing, AMS selection, drum kit note selection, (etc) to be configured graphically.

- Block copy and paste utility - copy, paste, or create a template for any major Kronos data component. For example: Combi and Song timbres, Karma modules, individual effects, HD-1 Oscs, entire EXis, LFOs, envelopes, vectors, pads, Set List slots and so on. This allows you quickly and efficiently perform operations such as:

-> copy an entire EXi from one program to another
-> store a favorite envelope, LFO, or effect configuration as a template that, in the future, can be used to quickly configure a different component within the same program or applied to a new program
-> copy or swap timbres within a Combi/Song or with another Combi/Song

- Midi Quest libraries hold thousands of programs each and provide a central location for storage. Each program can have up to 8 tags assigned. These can be used to search and sort the library's programs. For example, if you want to find all of your pianos in a library and the library has been properly tagged, it is just a matter of filtering on the "Piano" tag.

- When programs are added to a library, the name of the program is automatically analyzed for hints as to the nature of the program. For example, if you add a program called "Slap Bass", the Midi Quest will automatically assigned two keys: "slap" and "bass". This makes searches for "Bass" sounds, "Slap Bass" sounds or whatever your requirements are fast and effective.

- The Kronos' 50,000 parameters bring both VST and AU to its knees. Midi Quest 11 Pro adds a new feature which allows you to designate a subset of parameters to automate. This allows for effective automation of Kronos parameters not directly linked to CC messages

- Midi Quest 11's new OSC support allows any Kronos parameter to be remotely edited from an OSC enabled application such as TouchOSC and Lemur.

This isn't a complete list but I think it covers the highlights.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the main editor window resizable (as in, do the components get any bigger when you increase the screen size)?
LorenKronos73

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all Kronos Users and Friends!!

I am reading this post and i didn't understood why people where complaining about The Great Kronos editor by Sound Quest's.

To my point a of view the Korg Kronos is a great Workstation, and has the the power on many standalone synths but after using more and more the power of the MOD7, AL1, SRT-1 it was so hard to program voices because of the little screen, not so good inclination and touch (i need a pen to work) ... So after hours of working with the Sound Quest's Kronos i discovered that this Program was so great and save me a lot of time... and help me to discover the power of all the synths engines buy using a full pc screen !!! (I had a kronos for 2 years - first version)

The Sound Quest's Team had done a great work with this editor, take your time to learn, there is a little learning curve time and you will discover that you received a powerful tool to create your own sounds and combi's!!!!

So why some users complain on a Great Program that they have received for free?

Have a nice day and great music,

Loren
Synthee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LorenKronos73 wrote:

Have a nice day and great music,

Loren

Did you get your program for free?? Shocked
I had to buy a synth for 4400$ to get it.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LorenKronos73 wrote:

Because the plug-in editor is still 32bit - and won't work in a 64bit DAW like Logic X that has no 32 to 64bit bridging function.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the full Midi Quest version run in 64 bit mode?

Although I think Korg should have included 64 bit support I don't really mind paying a bit more for extra editor features if 64 bit mode is also supported.

My complaint would be if Korg comes out with a new OS version and the paid for version of the editor stops working.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full editor is 64-bit compliant yes. Unfortunately I don't think it's "a bit" more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: