Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simulate Comb-Filter in AL-1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SYNTHESIA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Simulate Comb-Filter in AL-1? Reply with quote

Hi,
is it possible to simulate a comb-filter effect in the AL-1 like the Radias?
Perhaps with the multi-filter?
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you cannot mimic a comb with LP/BP/HP/Notch filters. Comb filter is a tuned delay line with very short delay times.
SYNTHESIA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pity. Thank you.
Rigel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try tweaking the chorus effect settings...
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to play with STR-1 more. Supposedly, that engine can do Comb Filtering. From SOS' review:

Quote:
If you navigate to the Mixer page, you'll find that you can mix the sounds generated by the virtual string, the PCM oscillators, and the noise used (or not) to generate the excitation, plus the outputs from two virtual pickups.

As on a real stringed instrument, the positions of the pickups allow you to determine the harmonic content of a sound...I found that choosing appropriate pickup positions helped me to create some remarkably accurate guitar models, as well as all manner of effects when I modulated the positions to create chorusing and comb-filtering effects.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also be able to approximate a comb filter just by using delay FX, as well as flanger and chorus, as mentioned above.

Very short delay times (less than 10ms) with high feedback.

Comb filtering happens when a signal is added to itself, but very slightly delayed, creating additive and subtractive interference so that the resulting signal has notches and peaks that look like teeth on a comb...

Check this thread out for ideas:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/comb-filter-pedal.1087356/
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
I really need to play with STR-1 more. Supposedly, that engine can do Comb Filtering. From SOS' review:

Quote:
If you navigate to the Mixer page, you'll find that you can mix the sounds generated by the virtual string, the PCM oscillators, and the noise used (or not) to generate the excitation, plus the outputs from two virtual pickups.

As on a real stringed instrument, the positions of the pickups allow you to determine the harmonic content of a sound...I found that choosing appropriate pickup positions helped me to create some remarkably accurate guitar models, as well as all manner of effects when I modulated the positions to create chorusing and comb-filtering effects.

The pickups create comb filtering (there are detailed descriptions of this in the Parameter Guide), but so can the string itself. See "Using the string as a comb filter for PCM" in the Parameter Guide.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: