Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new memory chips released?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amosaic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: new memory chips released? Reply with quote

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2015/07/28/intel-and-micron-produce-breakthrough-memory-technology

this could really open up memory space in keyboards.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks promising for storing super massive streaming sample libraries. It will likely be very pricey initially so I wouldn't expect to see it in keyboards for a few years.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure would be nice if manufactures thought ahead a bit and at least would design for the ability to upgrade to it if someone so desired!
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
It sure would be nice if manufactures thought ahead a bit and at least would design for the ability to upgrade to it if someone so desired!

That wouldn't be giving them too much credit would it? Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope reigns eternal!
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a step closer to the point where memory for storage and RAM merge into one, something the memristor is capable of.
Speaking of which, HP was supposed to introduce memristor memory in 2013 as a replacement for the current NAND, but so far it's been very quiet. It is said to be a lot cheaper, faster, and energy-efficient than the current NAND.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any technollogy branch is not going to go for the latest technollogy, its the hardware musicall instruments Branch...

Except for the Korg Kronos they all are still using 20th century hardware parts, And Kronos, is only using the very low end hardware that intel offers..

If anything will get a boost from this, it will be software instruments
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
And Kronos, is only using the very low end hardware that intel offers..

And a few generations behind. To the great loss - if they used the latest NUC, there could be much more polyphony and FX power...
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Korgs point of view it doesn't make sense to use the latest and greatest technology available. The Kronos is arguably the best workstation available and the technology they are using supports the current feature set and keeps the cost down.

Sure, I want more polophony and more FX power, etc but that will all come in time when (if) the competion catches up. I wonder how many people hit the Kronos limits on a regular basis, probably not as many as we might think. You can always increase polophony using a second Kronos albeit it not a very cost effective way of doing it.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
From Korgs point of view it doesn't make sense to use the latest and greatest technology available. The Kronos is arguably the best workstation available and the technology they are using supports the current feature set and keeps the cost down.

Sure, I want more polophony and more FX power, etc but that will all come in time when (if) the competion catches up. I wonder how many people hit the Kronos limits on a regular basis, probably not as many as we might think. You can always increase polophony using a second Kronos albeit it not a very cost effective way of doing it.

Yes thats Korg Pov....

However they dont realise the software synth market is their greatest competitor...

I think Yamaha aims to strike with a montage based on todays cpu power...just took them way longer to develop as they expected.. And then we will see if Korg has been sleeping all that time, or that they are ready to strike back with a top of the world hardware instrument... Taking the 3rd step... Oasys-Kronos-Aurora(or whatever it will be named)

There are great times ahead for keyboardists... And i am allready in keyboardheaven...
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:

Yes thats Korg Pov....

However they dont realise the software synth market is their greatest competitor...

I think Yamaha aims to strike with a montage based on todays cpu power...just took them way longer to develop as they expected.. And then we will see if Korg has been sleeping all that time, or that they are ready to strike back with a top of the world hardware instrument... Taking the 3rd step... Oasys-Kronos-Aurora(or whatever it will be named)

There are great times ahead for keyboardists... And i am allready in keyboardheaven...

Aren't you happy with Mac Pro?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: