Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e2s: single cycle waveforms?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: e2s: single cycle waveforms? Reply with quote

I have been trying to use single cycle waveforms as samples, wondering if anyone else has gone through this... import the wav, edit the loop point to 000 to make it fully loop.

When I play in keyboard mode it sounds ok, but in a sequence there is lots of clicking going from step to step, not usable.

Tried the different polyphony settings.

Tried editing the wav before importing it, to double it and make the loop the halfway point, adding a fade-in at the beginning to try and smooth it more.

Tried different envelope settings. With no envelope you don't notice clicking I think just because there is no attack.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on how to make them play correctly, or if the e2s just isn't built for single cycle wavs.

cheers!
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried it. The built in oscillator types sound good though...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Tom 62

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. No clicks here. Switching the Amp EG on or off makes no difference. Maybe I'm deaf Very Happy I use some single cycle Moog samples from the Elektron website (if I remember correctly they are offered as free sound sources for the Analog Rytm).
AxeBreaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using headphones? The headphone jack has some clicks the 1/4 jacks do not.
mabi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying some of the factory patterns with the new samples there is no clicking, just with a basic rhythm pattern I made. I will have to see what was different about my pattern.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the moog samples on the elektron site. I've been browsing through the massive adventure kid collection:

http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

That is troublesome if there are artifacts in headphones but not line out, I hope I don't hear that happening.

I think the first reason I was interested in the new electribes was their being compact and battery-powered, so I can play on it wherever I happen to be, using headphones.
dschroeter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some other one-cycle resources and info about how to make them:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=98022&sid=751c09eca439cc6ff59da930523b6dbe

Are you sure you are starting and ending at a zero-crossing? Audacity or similar will allow you to zoom into the individual .wav blocks, they should begin and end at 0.
mabi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Exclamation

So far I only have been using the adventure kid and elektron samples, those seem to have zero crossings correct.

What about tuning? I am guessing imported samples are assigned root note C4.

It doesn't appear you can edit a sample's root note, are you tuning them by ear with the sample tune parameter to get them to C4?
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With single cycles you can use the loop point to change tuning as well as the tune parameter.
When you shorten the single cycles the pitch goes up.. Lengthen them and the pitch goes back down.
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. I am normally running audio out the phones jack and I don't get any clicking. My OS is 1.05
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dschroeter wrote:
Are you sure you are starting and ending at a zero-crossing? .

For CSW, zero-point crossing is less important than when looping a longer synth note. Irregular loop points actually provide a harsher buzzing oscillator.

mabi wrote:
I am guessing imported samples are assigned root note C4.

The Adventure Kid waves are mostly tuned to D for some reason.

musicmagus wrote:
With single cycles you can use the loop point to change tuning as well as the tune parameter.
When you shorten the single cycles the pitch goes up.. Lengthen them and the pitch goes back down.

True. On the ESX any sample looped at 675 bits will be tuned to C. I haven't had a chance to test this on the ES2 yet.
mabi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, figured out what I was going for... The sampler's native rate is 48k, and it assigns an imported sample to middle c, so a properly pitched waveform to import would be

48000 / 261.626 (middle c) = 183.468 samples.

To get more accurate in the rounding off, you could double that to 366.936 samples, rounded to 367, for a double cycle waveform recorded/rendered at middle c.

I think that gives me the guideline I wanted to edit waveforms to be optimal.
mabi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With free time at work this afternoon, resampled the moog ones and some of the adventure kids ones to 48K, middle C. (Not sure if all of them are actually C4, but they are all C.)

Had to do the moog ones individually because they are different lengths, but the adventure kid ones are all 600 samples long, so I could batch process them in adobe audition. Oddly satisfying to watch a mac pro tear through processing 1500 wav files at once.

Not sure if it is kosher to post them without the permission of the original authors...
AxeBreaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried doubling an adventure kid waveform at 44.1, and then speeding it up to middle C as reported by audacity. It ended up being C4+5, which I tuned down on the electribe to + .8.

Did you get closer with the Adobe software? Also if you want to host the re-formatted adventure kid files, he'd probably do it for you and give you credit, if other hardware/software is any indication.
mabi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AxeBreaker wrote:
I tried doubling an adventure kid waveform at 44.1, and then speeding it up to middle C as reported by audacity. It ended up being C4+5, which I tuned down on the electribe to + .8.

Did you get closer with the Adobe software? Also if you want to host the re-formatted adventure kid files, he'd probably do it for you and give you credit, if other hardware/software is any indication.

What I did in audition was use the stretch and pitch filter, choosing the izotope algorithm, setting the new duration to 367 samples (how I arrived at 367 in my comment above), and checking the box to lock stretch and pitch shift.

Before I did that I converted the sample rate to 48k to match the native sample rate of the electribe.

What you wind up with is the single cycle precisely pitched to C, so no tuning necessary on the electribe.

Since all the adventure kid samples are the same duration, I was able to make a batch process to run that conversion and filter on all of them at once.

I will have to send him a message to see about what you suggest.
mabi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventure Kid said cool to sharing the modified samples....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IlC5tbCJBeRTQtUVhZMHlhd3c/view?usp=sharing

enjoy responsibly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: