Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing midi files on microStation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakemuss50

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Playing midi files on microStation Reply with quote

I purchased my microStation 4 weeks ago to play midi files as a backing. I have Anvil Studio as my DAW (selected as it seems the simplest to operate & specifically designed to primarily play, record & modify midi files). I trialed numerous other DAW's which I'm sure can play files however were so complicated I never got any to work. I'm running the DAW through a laptop with more than enough RAM & processing power (64 bit).
I have read & re-read the Korg OG but no success.
Is anyone else here using Anvil Studio? I have been in contact with Anvil who have been most helpful but unable to work out why the MS is not playing.
I have a Casio CTK-4000 which plays perfectly via the same USB interface however has nowhere near the same quality of on-board sounds which is the reason I bought the Korg.

[/b]
bradkorg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microstation working with external sequencer
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98226

Is the microstation standalone/vst editor working?
What is not working exactly? microstation must be in SEQ mode to work as MIDI module!
Is microstation assigned to USB MIDI IN/OUT ports in the DAW and PC, like the CTK4000?

Read above linked threads for solution, if CTK4000 can work so can the microstation.
I use here FL studio midi/vsti, winamp midiplayer with microstation as MIDI module, no problems.
jakemuss50

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Very Happy Evening here in NZ so will be onto it tomorrow & let you know. Just like to say I wished I had found this forum weeks ago.
I love the full rich sounds of the MS (used to have an X50 a few years ago but was using it only for live performance).
jakemuss50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Midi Files & saving Reply with quote

Thanks. Going into SEQ mode made all the difference. I have sounds & after using the editor to reassign the instruments all is good.
It seems that if I close the editor down without saving the instrument changes I made all be lost so wondering the best way to save them. I have a SD card but after reading the manual am confused. If saved on the card in the mS how will my DAW access it? Can it be saved on my pc as a midi file?
At the moment my songs are in a folder on the pc & to play them I just open them (they open in the DAW) This would be best for me if possible. If saved on the SD card in the MS how does the DAW access them or does it not need to?
I am leaving the editor running until I am certain.
bradkorg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this link:
microstation working with external sequencer
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98226

---
DAW and mS standalone are two separately processes, what you do with mS standalone, Everything SEQ must be saved on SD card as mS SNG or Midi SMF file.
So only the Midi SMF can be transfered from the mS SD card to DAW.
From the mS editor can only the Song/inst. templates/setup/sound editing be saved on PC thats its and NOT the mS own SEQ/SNG.

DAW can only use mS as MIDI module, so the MIDI Song sequencing and/or audio recording is done everything on DAW.
Read the link!
jakemuss50

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brad but I don't seem to be having any luck saving the files. I have gone through the manuals re using the editor & mS to save to the SD card but no success.
It would be nice to think that when I open a song to play on the DAW with the mS in SEQ mode it could find the file either on the laptop or SD card (in the pc or mS). I can't determine whether this is possible or not and uncertain how it should be saved as to achieve this.
Can someone please give me step by step instructions how to and where to save it in what format.
Thanks
bradkorg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAW + MS + MIDI + EDITOR
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87938
bradkorg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD card is meant the mS built-in SD card.
Read the manaul how to save/load mS songs, it happens in the GLOBAL mode.

Simple: DAW don't have access to mS SD slot and mS don't have access to DAW management etc.
DAW can only use mS as a midi-out soundmodule and a midi-in keyboard, any midi files playing/saving from/to mS midimodule from/to the DAW is managed by DAW itself.

Any midi file playing/saving on mS STANDALONE is managed by mS itself!

The mS vst editor is only to edit parameter/templates etc. mS directly, have NO any access to SEQ Song/Midi data files recording/loading/saving etc. that are mS STANDALONE functions.

So when mS is connected to the DAW, the DAW is the MANAGER of any MIDI playing/saving/management etc., mS is just a DUMMY MIDI SOUND MODULE and MIDI Keyboard Controller!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: