Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moog Minitaur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Moog Minitaur Reply with quote

Well finally I got an analog synth, had the Analog Keys for a few weeks but life removed that choice form my list so it went back but I have picked up the Minitaur. Love it, actually learning a bit more about how all the different controls interact. I should say slowly learning because some of it is still a mystery, most actually but I can get good sounds! Nice fat analog Bass etc. Ironically enough yesterday it arrived and so did a pile of sludge up the basement drain! No way am I sending it back though just have to do clean up myself and a pro will snake the lines. Anyway nice small synth! Made the rest of the events not so irritating!

Edit to add, seems after some searching and experimenting this is not quite as advanced as i would have liked with Audio and midi over usb. I guess with my computer I will have to connect audio to the Kronos and record it into logic that way. I do not have an audio interface. I had the Presonus firebox but they stopped supporting it years ago with one of the Mac OS upgrades. Sadly because of that I won't buy another Presonus.

I did have it connected to Logic and it was working with the QuNexus in Logic as well then that stopped working. I am sure it was something I did but to be sure it wasn't the QuNexus or the Minitaur i broke out the midi expander and connected direct to the Minitaur and it worked great. SO many different cables. I am anxious for the day when all these different cables can be eliminated and all the devices will work through one cable.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your Minitaur. Routing it through the Kronos is not a bad way to go. You get to use the Kronos FX processors with the Minitaur.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle thanks! Great thoughts about the Kronos. I also found this in a SOS review and it seems quite interesting as well! What are your thoughts on this, "Creating Paraphonic Synth Sounds
Like other synths offering audio, CV and Gate inputs, it's possible to create 'paraphonic synthesizers' using the Minitaur. Take the audio from an analogue polysynth or keyboard and direct it to the Minitaur's Audio In and, if it has one, take its Gate Out and direct this to the Minitaur's Gate In. You have now emulated ARP's original 'Polyphonic System', and if you can also find uses for the filter and amplifier CV inputs, you can step well beyond the original concept, to create all manner of distinctive patches. You can also take the audio and MIDI outputs from modern synths and direct these to the audio in and MIDI In of the Minitaur to create paraphonic versions of contemporary sounds. Moog rather disparagingly describe this as "warming up sterile digital signals”, but I prefer to think of it as just another way to create interesting new sounds."

I'm thinking create a combi and set a sound to go to the miniature and see how it works out. Then bring it back into the Kronos and use some FX. I might add the cp251 as well it sure seems to have a lot of capabilities this little beast.

Now that I have played with it a little bit I can not help but ask myself why I put off buying one of these for so long! Very Happy with it! Naturally that doesn't mean I have given up on the three products we have discussed before!
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a good idea. You can get some very different and cool sounds that way. I do something similar by routing Sub Phatty audio into a Sub 37 and from there into the Kronos for FX.

One thing to remember that got me at first was you need something to trigger the envelopes or you won't hear anything or much of anything. You can trigger envelopes on the Minitaur with MIDI Note On or +5V to Gate In.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I be doing something wrong or causing a problem if I routed minitaur audio to Kronos in and maybe a kronos out to minitaur audio in?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any harm to the synths. You might hurt your ears if you route things to cause some audio loop.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will have pay close attention then! Thanks!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Haven't gotten a midi to cv unit yet but it is looking as if most everything is available over midi anyway, might no need a converter. I am going to try to connect it direct to the Kronos and see what happens if it doesn't work I will go through logic. Still working on using it in logic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: