Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does one go about getting a job at KORG?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouldysoul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: How does one go about getting a job at KORG? Reply with quote

Basically I would really like to know how to get a job at KORG, or intern just to play around and give feedback on new designs from a users perspective.

I have some skills that are useful I think to Korg branding, UI development and sales.

I can play guitar, bass, drums, synth/keys, trumpet, trombone, I have been producing since I was 16, accidentally learned C++ when I was 18 when I went to Uni to study Music Technology and have been releasing professionally and touring worldwide for the last three/four years.

My focus has been on live performance for the last two years and focusing on stemming away from computer based performances, mostly because it was destroying my soul DJ'ing music I know the could be PERFORMED live.

To facilitate this other than the real instruments guitar/bass/horns, I have all the VOLCA's, booss RC505* and a MicroKorg XL+ (yet to play it's arriving this week), and I think I could truly break free if I had an Electribe Sampler EMX2.

*(Great but plasticy piece of unrobust S*** that i've sent back once and need to do it again, the faders snap like guitar strings)

The problem with me is that I'm a geek, I'd rather sit indoors tweaking code to develop more intuitive user interfaces than play infront of multitudes of people.

It's strange this question I know, but I honestly don't now how to go about this task other than completely speculatively. I LOVE Korg, I want to help them, I could have a brain somewhere behind all this irrational urge to own ALL of the KORG gear (sarcasm, I do have a brain, I think).

I've even looked into and am still intrigued as to how Field Programmable Gate Array's can be used to do the complex floating point arithmetic used for digital signal processing. Looked at VHDL and Veriog, very interesting just insane stuff and potentially needlessly hard (PSHDL)! I really like Faust, no one has ever heard of it or is ever gonna read this so who cares about sharing my secret! Faust is a procedural language kinda like LISP for DSP, but it just makes sense, optimised code that runs better than standard benchmarks, sorry a little bit wild about this one. Seriously you can export straight to VST/AU/WHTEV.

I've been trying to become an app developer with Unity over the last couple of months and got to the limits of their audio side pretty quickly, so I found their native audio plugin API and plan on using Faust to create Native Unity plugins, yeah that's a thought for KORG, since Unity 5 (March) they've had the ability to write native audio effects to be used inside games. Someone hire me for the LOVE OF KORG.

I honestly don't know where else to put my skills or knowledge or even know a company that might even consider giving me a start. I just love Korg, I wouldn't spend my money anywhere else, so why would I want to spend my time any where else?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really interested, probably the best way is to write them a letter directly.

The best you can do is show you have the skills you mention (by proof).

As a software engineer, this is easier. For example, I could show them my Korg application (although they already know about it). Some people asked me why Korg didn't offer me a job jet. I don't know. On the other hand, I have not asked them for a job either. Probably I would take it into consideration seriously if they did.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mouldysoul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
If you are really interested, probably the best way is to write them a letter directly.

The best you can do is show you have the skills you mention (by proof).

As a software engineer, this is easier. For example, I could show them my Korg application (although they already know about it). Some people asked me why Korg didn't offer me a job jet. I don't know. On the other hand, I have not asked them for a job either. Probably I would take it into consideration seriously if they did.

That's a really good response thank you very much! You made a Korg app that's really cool, it wasn't the editor for Volca Sample was it? if it is I have it!!

They would not take me seriously if I sent them a Unity Web browser game about a kawaii mushroom jumping on clouds and then asked them for a job testing synths!! Here's the silly 2D app i'm prototyping: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20221604/Mushroom%20Clouds.mov

or this 3D toroidal procedural kaleidoscope, arrow keys control visuals: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20221604/Swirly%20gig/Swirly%20gig.html

All my own tunes, been trying to make an app to release my music in. You're right maybe it is easier for software geeks to show skills, almost exemplifies all my talents, music, coding, visuals, but leaves out hardware hacking and live performance, both I feel also heavily relevant to Korg.

I need to get some stuff on the app stores, then I think it might be easier to show proof of skills and approach companies directly. I still think it's quite a long shot, but why limit your dreams! Not sure I even want to be a programmer, my ideal job would be QA testing synths, but that may be a dead man's shoes job!

Also on a completely different tangent, I would love it if Korg could do a competition like Boss did in the past with the looper championships. There's such a platform for it with the engagement the Volca lines, and could increase exposure for artists using them and could be good interactive marketing tool for Korg at the same time.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, getting a job with KORG is quite difficult. I've expressed my interest countless times and I'd have a pretty darn good track record with them since I own this place and worked along side them on many projects. I've come to the conclusion I'm simply living in the wrong Country. Laughing

I see your a Unity Programmer. I have an idea for something and I was wondering if you would be interested in hearing about it? It might be something you can help me with and I could pay you for your time.

Kind regards
Sharp.
mouldysoul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
In my opinion, getting a job with KORG is quite difficult. I've expressed my interest countless times and I'd have a pretty darn good track record with them since I own this place and worked along side them on many projects. I've come to the conclusion I'm simply living in the wrong Country. Laughing

I see your a Unity Programmer. I have an idea for something and I was wondering if you would be interested in hearing about it? It might be something you can help me with and I could pay you for your time.

Kind regards
Sharp.

Ahh that's some decent insight you've got there having owned this forum! Wrong country def, that's what I'd come around to the conclusion of too, unless you want to be a product rep, that might be a bit more attainable over here maybe.

I was thinking about talking to the Novation guys, they're in England and my friend Dom (Neurodriver) has worked with them before making patches/soundbanks, so might be able to hound him for a connect!!

Yeah go for it, i'd be interested in hearing sling me an email if you want, I think Unity really isn't that hard to get to grips with, the latest version 5 released in March has a load of stupidly cool features!

Also if you really don't like to code there's a great tool (Unity add-on) called Playmaker, where instead of writing in C# you program graphically with a bunch of boxes and wires, similar to MAX/MSP, might be more familiar if you have any background there. Depends on the complexity of the project whether I can help or not, I'm more of a code monkey than a visual guy, so I can help with the nuts and bolts, but I can't make a set of polygons look like a real burger!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: