Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues with recording with my Korg SV-1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geovicsha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Issues with recording with my Korg SV-1 Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I really love my Korg SV-1 but anytime when I try to record it, there is this underlying humming going on. This is not so much noticeable with computer speakers, but with certain headphones it is definitely evident.

I use an Ashton MXL12FX as my mixer. It is relatievely cheap and I wonder if that is the issue?

I currently connect the mixer to my computer via USB, and the Korg SV-1 to my mixer via a 1/4" mono cable. I have tried a couple of other computers and the result is still the same. I've also tried XLR cables and there is still a hiss.

My friend has suggested an analogue to digital box to pick it up properly, or to do directly for Midi.

It should be noted that the valve on my Korg SV-1 is broken. Anytime I try to use any of the amp features, the sound is non-existent or clickly. Could this be related?

Here is a sample.

Thanks!
teddyc1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the mixer might be the source of your hum. You have to try it without it to test all the options.
Former gear: Fender Rhodes MKII suitcase, Roland Juno 6.
oy5t3h

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty subtle. On my laptop speakers (and with my tinnitus), the hiss you refer to is inaudible.

On headphones, I think there is a little bit of a whining, high pitched digital noise. Almost certainly a USB ground loop.

A. Use XLR cables to hook the SV-1 into the mixer.

B. If that doesn't fix it, buy a DI box with a ground lift switch, and connect the SV-1 to the DI via 1/4" and the DI to the mixer via XLR. That should definitely fix the problem if it's a ground loop.

I do not see that there is any way that the valve issue is causing a hum.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with mine. Recently recorded an album of solo piano music with the SV and when listening back to tracks heard an odd distortion / hiss that would echo each note I played. Its subtle. Only heard through headphones with volume up. But loud enough for me to hear it. I used no on board effects and the tube was not engaged. Just dry piano direct. After some experimenting I found it only happened through the 1/4" outs. When I ran the SV XLR outs directly into my audio interface it seemed to solve the issue. Sad to say however once I finished the project, the SV1 went back. This was my third and final chance with it. Had problems with the other ones as well. I now use a Roland Supernatural piano which I am very pleased with. Should anyone have interest in hearing the SV piano I used, a track can be heard here:

https://youtu.be/ISwiinQ-mD4

peace.
geovicsha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, guys!

@keyboard komuso: A wonderful track. Did you use direct XLR to XLR that resolved the issue? And what mixer do/did you have?

Cheers.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would definitely use the XLR cables. Can you rule out your mixer? Meaning, if you record other instruments via the mixer, are they ok?
Try also to play with gains (increasing/decreasing) on on either the SV and the mixer (Gain staging). The idea is to have your signal as high as possible along the whole path to have a good signal to noise ratio. Avoid clipping of course. Does all input of your mixer cause the noise?

Something to try as well. Just hook up you SV-1 to your PC via a USB cable, but don't use it. It is just to establish common ground between SV-1, mixer and PC.

Oh yes, no one reacted on your MIDI suggestion. The answer is no. You can never use MIDI to record sound, only to record which keys you hit, but not the what sound that key generates when you hitit... The USB interface of the SV-1 is not an option either here, as Korg only routes MIDI over the USB and not a digital audiostream (too bad).

Have fun.
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Geovicsha: thanks, I used the xlr outs of the SV1 directly into my audio interface, an Apollo Twin. It has a really nice preamp built in which gave it some nice character.
geovicsha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you didn't use XLR to 1/4?

Is the Apollo Twin what you currently use?
keyboard komuso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the XLR outs on the SV into the XLR ins on the Apollo. Still use the Apollo Twin. Great unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: