Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Pedals do you use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inrepose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: What Pedals do you use? Reply with quote

I have a Electro-Harmonix Cathedral, TC Electronic Flashback and a Ditto2 Looper. The chain is to have the Cathedral first for some reverb and then the echo type sounds on the Flashback. Here is a photo: [url]

I am using the the two pedals and playing a bass type sequence out through the Monotribe in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVgerPTCv_E and I think the effect does a nice job with the raw sound.

I only selected the two pedals because I found two people on youtube recommended them as a good combination with the Volca Keys, Bass and Monotribe. I also squeeze in more input by putting the Key's and Monotribe into each of the left-right stereo inputs. It works fine having them pulled into each channel. [/url]
OIP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool setup!

some gain/fuzz can make really crazy amounts of noise with the monotribe.

here is a very short example of a super basic fuzz circuit i made as an experiment, blended with the dry signal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZtZMThJPo0

i've had more extensive jamming with the gain and using the volca sample as well and you can make some huge sounds, plus full wailing guitar solo type things. with just gain and a bit of distortion you can pull small harmonics out of the filter until they really colour the sound, and in some cases create almost full chord sounds, get some really rich notes out of the 'single' voice of the monotribe.

also a bit of delay on clean sounds makes a huge difference, i don't have any reverb gear to set that up but i'd imagine that would be cool too.
inrepose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fuzz sounds great and sounds almost guitar like. Thanks for the link and I have subscribed to your channel, love the setup you have with the Orange. Is it a pre-amp with valves?
OIP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello! thanks for your kind words on the videos! youtube comments won't let me reply for some reason, googling tells me it's a thing. good job google.

anyway yup it's an orange amp, a very simple 40w guitar amp with a single tube that seems to handle anything i throw into it. i can't remember where the tube fits into the signal and if it's also powered by an IC amp. in any event the signal doesn't start breaking up unless the gain is cranked so it's very handy.

definitely can get some guitar-like sounds out of the monotribe, even wah effects with the cutoff and big droning bass guitar type riffs too if you search around for sweet spots. highly recommended.

another interesting thing which i don't quite understand is if you really overload the fuzz with the drums and synth voices both going, they will compete with each other and cancel out, and you get some cool (loud) rhythms you can't get with the normal signal.

such a fun little box, very underrated i think.

take care!
inrepose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree about the Monotribe, I sometimes find myself nearly playing it like an instrument (which I suppose it is anyway) and using the filters can make it feel like a guitar. I don't get bored of it which sadly I do with my Microbrute which I need to learn to like more.

OK thanks on the Orange notes. I had a look and I think the Pre-stage is using the valve and its power stage is transformer solid state. It looks like a handy piece of kit for the price. I use an Art USB pre to get my Monotribe sound into the computer for recording and the various youtube videos. It has two TRS balanced inputs but all I do is plug a normal jack in and I get the sound very clearly into the Mac. I think I should perhaps look for one of those DI devices to convert a Mono unbalanced into TRS but at the moment it works anyway.

I output a balanced signal from the ARTUSB-Pre from the computer into my monitor speakers, so they do the amplification part.

Strangely just before I spotted your video I was looking the ART Valve Pre amp and they do two versions, one has a USB output to Mac (handy) and the other cheaper version is just a basic Mic/Instrument pre amp and outputs that balanced TRS signal I should really be using. So now I have another option to look at the Orange, however the ART valve pre that has a USB is an interesting device because I could get that valve type sound direct into the Mac for recording.

I am rambling on now... Shame about google comments, I also hate the fact that google on the iphone and PS4 has no comments section. I hate the control these companies have on our behaviour and platform functionality restraints..
OIP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah i had it wrong with the amp - it's a micro terror not a tiny terror. 20watts, much cheaper than the tiny terror. but yeah reading up again it's the valve pre-amp / solid state power amp hybrid. i got it purely as a guitar amp to play at home, and it's been great, more than enough for what i use it for.

the AUX in and headphone out have had some very handy applications for the korg gear in the absence of any mixer or soundcard. it's just going straight into the macbook line in.

some sort of mixer / soundcard combo is definitely on the list. all that signal chain and equipment combining becomes half the battle haha.

interesting about the microbrute, i was set on getting one a little while ago but still not sure. it also looks very fun. i think i might try and get a second monotribe instead and use it as an experimental box, try all the mods etc.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invite you to have a look at my ehx-pedals-videos. They are done with a Volca Bass but I do use them very often with my Monotribe!
Especially EHX Pitch Fork and EHX Memory Boy Delay are perfect Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: