Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pedal possibilities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muzztone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Pedal possibilities Reply with quote

Been meaning to sort this out for ages.

I'm using an Yamaha FC7 expression pedal into the usual socket in the back. I don't set it to global volume because on some patches I might want it to do a Wah or crossfade between channels. I'm playing live and I don't want to fiddle with the Global settings mid-set.

Is using a Stereo Limiter patch really the only way to control volume on a channel with this setup?

If so.. what are the best settings which don't compress the sound as well?

And also if so, Korg, can you give us a simple pedal-controlled volume effect that would do the job more elegantly? It would need to allow:
- Control over min-max volume dependent on pedal settings
- reversable operation - eg pedal up = volume down to allow cross fading between patches.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this configurable midi pedal. Has everything but the kitchen sink and is compact.

Expensive and I have yet to try one, but what an AWESOME idea!

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/reflex_universal_exp_controller.php
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use a preamp IFX if I do it that way. Another way is to edit the patch itself to respond to the pedal (which differs depending on which engine it uses) and save it that way, or save a version of it for use in the combo. I've done it both ways. I suppose you could also use karma to remap it to CC7 or 11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks good ideas - haven't thought of using preamp. It would be a lot easier if in all the Kronos' programming possibilities, there was a way to map a channel fader to the expression pedal, with control over range, minimums and maximums for example.
uhura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Control over min-max volume dependent on pedal settings
reversable operation - eg pedal up = volume down to allow cross fading between patches.

This can be done with the FC7. Just insert a stereo compressor to your channel with a ratio of 1:1 and set gain control source to the pedal. By setting for example gain adjust to -12db and amount to +12dB you are starting with a moderate volume and have very subtle control of the amount. By inserting 2 compressors (one with negative amount setting) you can also do cross fading!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedal possibilities Reply with quote

Muzztone wrote:

I'm using an Yamaha FC7 expression pedal into the usual socket in the back. I don't set it to global volume because on some patches I might want it to do a Wah or crossfade between channels. I'm playing live and I don't want to fiddle with the Global settings mid-set.

Try this:
Globally, assign the pedal to one of the RT Knobs (e.g. Knob Cool
For each sound, set that knob to the function you'd like the pedal to perform (e.g. CC7 (Vol), CC4 (Mod) etc.)

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you go to a programmable MIDI foot controller like a Roland FC300 (or Behringer or Yamaha equivalent), you'll never want to be without one again! Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pedal possibilities Reply with quote

As Dan says below, assigning the pedal to a RT Knob can be very flexible, and allows for per-sound settings. I actually found that the easiest one to use is Knob 8, since it always is assigned to Reverb depth. It can get difficult to reverse-engineer many of the other knob assignments per sound.

So by setting the pedal to Knob 8 I only (I say only, but it is a bit of work!) go to each Program/Combi I want to use and go to the MFX that is assigned to Reverb and turn off the Knob8 modulation of the depth. Note that sometimes there is also an IFX also providing reverb with a Knob8 assignment as well.

Now for the given Program/Combi you can either:

1) Go to the Knob assignment (on the Controllers Tab) and set Knob 8 to be Expression (CC11) for usual volume control. Or:

2) Use Knob 8 to modulate something else. For me the two most common suspects are using it to sweep a wah-wah, or as the special volume control for a CX-3 organ. But it can also be used for filter sweeps, and other things.

If you don't want something to respond to the volume control in a Combi, got to the MIDI Filter tabs and deselect both Knob 8, and Foot Pedal.

Like I said up top, redefining the Knob 8 function is a bit of work, and I wish this could be accomplished in a Global "one-time" way,but this works effectively.

Jerry

danatkorg wrote:
Muzztone wrote:

Try this:
Globally, assign the pedal to one of the RT Knobs (e.g. Knob Cool
For each sound, set that knob to the function you'd like the pedal to perform (e.g. CC7 (Vol), CC4 (Mod) etc.)

- Dan
guruteo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, one simple feature that would really improve pedal functionality a lot would be if you could invert the polarity of each parameter for each channel in the midi filtering page: this way you could be able to do crossfading between sounds by inverting the polarity of the expression pedal on a specific sound. Now every parameter has an on/off setting, it could become an off/on+/on- setting instead.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
Check out this configurable midi pedal. Has everything but the kitchen sink and is compact.

Expensive and I have yet to try one, but what an AWESOME idea!

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/reflex_universal_exp_controller.php

Wow, great find! I may have to go ahead and order one. I wonder if that wah-style switch lets you switch between two presets or something.
Muzztone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas thanks. Also hadn't thought of mapping to a knob.

Doesn't really make sense to use a compressor for this situation though. Talk about a workaround.

Why not a combo setting for each channel fade allowing mapping to any source?

That's one of the weird things about the Kronos, so much depth but some obvious things missing.

I had an FCV1010 for a bit but I just didn't need all the buttons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: