Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you can can overwrite the factory slots 1-200 as well?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: So you can can overwrite the factory slots 1-200 as well? Reply with quote

Hi
Thinking about ordering KK, but really bothered about only having 100 user slots for own programs, and being stuck with 200 of something you don't want.

Looked in librarian software manual, but all they mention is drag n drop to favourite locations.

But mention you can save library 300 slots to
"300 p.c.s of program data and favorite data" in kklib files.

Made me think maybe you can patch these and replace factory stuff?

And searching forum there seem to be a global write protect that you can alter to overwrite factory preset locatons 1-200 as well.

If this is the case - it's a buy of KK for me.

So is there not only 100 user writeable locations but all 300 can be used?

Thanks.
noguud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can overwrite the first 200 factory patches.

They call the 200-300 the "user" range because they are empty for a brand new (or reset) unit.
Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much obliged, thank you for confirming.

I don't think I'm the only one thinking the only writeable locations are the user presets - so you are stuck with factory presets, like synths in the 80's and 90's, at least those I saw then.

I easily use up 100 locations saving intermediate programs exploring the abilities in there. Regarding KK abilities are extensive, compared to many.
Smile
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the documentation could be even clearer, but unlike products from competitors, this is standard fare for Korg synths. You've always been able to overwrite all memory locations, for all synths that I know of at least.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I suppose the documentation could be even clearer, but unlike products from competitors, this is standard fare for Korg synths. You've always been able to overwrite all memory locations, for all synths that I know of at least.

Excellent, good to know.

I've had a CX-3v2 and Hammond organ, they were overwritable so I figured it might be an organ thing.

Had Casio CZ1000 long ago, and a couple of Roland like D-50 and JV-80 - all fixed factory presets not available to user. I think Clavia NL2 also as I recall, but later versions 2X and 3 all overwritable, I think.

Calling 201-300 user locations is still misleading, looking at the full synth picture.

The other thread about true observations of KK, there were also a conception only 201-300 were writable and turnoff for buying - for a guy that already had Kronos and M50.

Why confuse people....
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been clearer if they had said it comes loaded with 200 sounds but all 300 memory locations are user-rewriteable, I agree. I don't know why someone with a Kronos and M50 would assume otherwise, honestly. It has been this way since forever with Korg stuff.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know why someone with a Kronos and M50 would assume otherwise, honestly.

I'm just trying to excuse my own ignorance by referring to others that did not understand how it works either.

But it seems we agree on that User presets in most cases are those that are available to use freely.

Taken from SOS review on KingKorg

"You can save a sound into any of the 100 programmable memories and allocate it to one of the nine Program categories. You can't save to the other 200 locations, but I understand the reasoning. Korg are marketing the KK to novices as well as experienced players, so retaining a selection of bread-and-butter presets makes sense. Nonetheless, 100 user memories is Spartan by modern standards."

Korg did a serious mistake here - even such experienced testers make the wrong conclusion because Korg naming convention.

Just list as 300 User memories(200 preset, 100 empty) - and a lot of people like me hesitating a purchase would have no doubts.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that's a shame. It's all the fault of Yamaha and Roland anyway, who insist on having unchangeable presets Smile
Makes no sense to me at all on a synth, even if you'd want to make a small change (less reverb?) you can't save it. One more reason to stick with Korg.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know your Korg.

I really look forward to KK as my first Korg synth.

I found the CX-3v2 had a good approach in menus, compared to Hammond. Korg had everything global, under global - for Hammond you need to read manual and memorize which parameters are preset only or global, it tells they have less experience in the field of midi. And using Hammond as external midi gear for computer sequencing it's even weird - you have to move setting for pedal events source back and forth between midi in and from physical pedal for playback or live recording.

So reading reviews and exploring youtube about KK, saying it's some diving in menus I trust it to be good as can be. And quite a bit as physical knobs as well.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

I think my X5 or N264 does have some 'really' ROM patches (but would have to check). But that are very old synths.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned one, you may be right. I'm mostly familiar with Korg from since the Trinity. I've worked with M1s a few times but don't know if they have "true ROM". Going back even further, the PolySix had all patches overwriteable too! Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I've never owned one, you may be right. I'm mostly familiar with Korg from since the Trinity. I've worked with M1s a few times but don't know if they have "true ROM". Going back even further, the PolySix had all patches overwriteable too! Smile

From the Trinity indeed everything is overwritable. But I would have to check ... I lend my N264 to a daughter of my nephew and my X5 I only switched on after checking a new adapter (but not intending to use it really).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X5(D) doesn't have non-overwriteable patches. It just has a single bank of 100 sounds.

N2/364 have 2 factory banks (A and B) with 100 sounds each that can't be overwritten, and 2 user banks (C and D).
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
X5(D) doesn't have non-overwriteable patches. It just has a single bank of 100 sounds.

N2/364 have 2 factory banks (A and B) with 100 sounds each that can't be overwritten, and 2 user banks (C and D).

Thanks for the clarification!

Savante

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusion persists regarding the ability for the user to rewrite patches 1-200 on the KingKorg NEO.

I have had many Korg synths and it has always been possible to rewrite any of the user patches. In some of the old documentation this is made clear.

It is NOT clear in the old KingKorg documention, and this absence of clarity is still there in the documentation for the new KingKorg NEO.

Korg should wake up about this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2eL_0rCBE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1fHKsjwaA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pmp3sR91ak&feature=channel

First-ever synth I owned: Korg DW-8000, Current Korg gear: Korg Kronos 2; Korg Minilogue XD; Korg Krome EX; Korg Nautilus 61
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: