Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Its that time again...i need a New Computer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Its that time again...i need a New Computer. Reply with quote

Hi all, back in 2010 in June with all your help i built this my self:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower,
CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz,
MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0,
GFX: MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5,
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB 1600 (PC3 12800),
CPU HS: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler,
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3,
Studio-HDD: WD Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s,
Data-HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5",
OS-HDD: WD Green 320GB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s,
ODD: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner AD-7261S-0B LightScribe,

Then i dragged long and complicated, was worried much about all kinds of things
but then found out some of them were not really important, one of them the noise
and stuff, of course i do not want it to sound like an airplane but nothing surgical.

And its that time of the year again, i wanna build new machine, this one works and
i am still using it, maybe will continue to use it with the new one or dismantle it
and use of of the stuff above in the new one, i guess the HDDs will be the only thing.

I do Audio and some Video Editing but mainly heavy Audio processing. My main question
is, is there anything out there that will actually give me performance worth the money
i will spend now or it will not be much more then this? Where do i start?
Graphics Card is important too, i wanna use it in CUDA where the GC becomes a processing
power for Audio too. GC, CPU and MOBO i can spare 13-1500$ plus the rest of the stuff.

Let me start somewhere and see where we get. Of course i would love advices on all components.
Keep in mind, my Audio Disk Drive will run on Win 7 x64 and it can not be without a FW connection,
i will still use my old Card that i have in this computer that i am using now a TI 1394.

Thanks
Nedim
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw this just now. Are you running into the limits of your system much? It's not THAT outdated I think.

I would have to look into specific hardware, but a few general points jump out at me right away. Firstly, firewire is on its way out. I realize you may need it for your current audio interface and Thunderbolt converters are dragging out the lifespan somewhat but it has reached the end of its useful life. Since you have a separate card you can thankfully swap it.
Windows 7 is also on its way out, it's already in its extended support phase. I use and like Win7 myself too but if you're building a new system I wouldn't bet on it remaining stable, safe and supported for the next few years. Finally, apart from some video software that also does audio (like Sony Vegas) I don't think any DAW supports CUDA or OpenCL. There are only a handful of VST plugins that do, Nebula being the most notable. There are a few major obstacles to using it for audio, namely the latency of transferring data to and from the GPU is much higher than that of the CPU. Also, GPUs are mostly geared towards doing a crapload of parallel processing really fast, while most audio stuff is linear processing. There is really not that much gain for programmers to port to CUDA/OpenCL usually.

Of course, you may already be using some software that happens to support it, but just in case you're not I just want to warn you not to expect a whole lot from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: