Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weak ESP ? virtually non existent - questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: weak ESP ? virtually non existent - questions Reply with quote

HI

so I went to use the esp last night for the 1st time, mine seems very very weak and just wanted to know what I should be expecting or what others are getting - I thought it would be the same signal being passed through unchanged but this is not the case, also the external input is pretty weak .

granted I was only using an ipad as the out put but it was pumped up pretty high so expected better results.

should the esp actually transmit an audio signal (before and after band pass) or is it meant to just turn the signal to control?

cheers
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: weak ESP ? virtually non existent - questions Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:
HI

so I went to use the esp last night for the 1st time, mine seems very very weak and just wanted to know what I should be expecting or what others are getting - I thought it would be the same signal being passed through unchanged but this is not the case, also the external input is pretty weak .

granted I was only using an ipad as the out put but it was pumped up pretty high so expected better results.

should the esp actually transmit an audio signal (before and after band pass) or is it meant to just turn the signal to control?

cheers

The esp will transmit an audio signal from either before or after the band pass. You route this audio up to the ext signal in jack if you want to hear it. Bear in mind that what you hear is now passing through the filters before you hear it. I don't think the signal comes out at quite the same level it went in at, but it is still fairly loud, and don't forget that the volume of the signal you hear is also effected by the settings on EG2, so if your sustain is low, the sound will be quieter. I don't think its meant to be used as a pass through for audio you actually want to hear without being effected, it is effective if you want to hear some of the audio you are using to create control signals mixed in to the synth sounds those signals are creating.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Frenzies, that's kind of how I suspected it would work although I had hoped I could use it as almost like an additional input that can then be processed by the bandpass, I expect it will work but like you say be a bit weak -

yes THINKING ABOUT IT my envelope settings were probably very low which was affecting the sound, or not as it would seem, I bet I wasn't holding the keys either like a dumbass - I will check tonight - I know these questions have probably come up but after searching I couldn't find so I appreciate the reply - it's tricky with 1st proper patchable analog learning the way around

I think I will try the amp input to see if that would boost the audio signal or will the amp just boost CV?

thanks again
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial gain input controls the amp along with EG2. You can certainly make the esp output seem louder by sending the ENV OUT to the initial gain in. You'll get a signal playing without holding a key down in that case, which can be rounded out by holding a key too. It's very easy to overload and distort the signal so trim your signal level carefully.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncie 1 bud appreciate the help
TBN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to fully open the lowpass filter and fully close the hipass, otherwise the bandpass out will be silent.

To test the esp you could first patch the first output into external signal in.

Be sure to trigger the envelope too, and to open low-and hipass filters of the synth as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: