Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed of keyboard triggering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Speed of keyboard triggering Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I originally bought my Kross 61 as a small footprint keyboard controller to take on the road along with my laptop and virtual synths, with the advantage of having the excellent built in freestanding workstation capability. I know there's been some debate of the quality of the keybed, and I accept the limitation of this considering what it was designed for. (eg. thinness and lightness of the plastic keytops).
However, one of the issues I find with it, is the time response from when pressing a key, particularly when playing fast transient sounds.
An example of this is when playing Native Instruments, Session Strings, with the animator. I seem to miss triggering notes frequently using the Kross, but when using any other keyboard I don't have this problem. It actually works well with a Korg Microkey! But I prefer the larger keys.

I've played around around with velocity settings, and I know this keybed seems to have a fairly large "dead spot" in the travel before triggering, but taking this into account I still can't get it right.
I believe the problem is independent of velocity settings.
I find the keybed on my Kronos 61 does not have this issue no matter what I adjust the velocity curve
to. (yes it is a more substantial keybed, but a little too substantial for light travelling.

I'm quite happy with the keybed feel otherwise, and the Kross in general,

Any similar experiences, with anyone?

Chris
tommymandel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. It's hard for me to love or hate the Kross-61 keybed, because precisely that - just when you think, 'Gee, this is triggering smooth' on say, the internal piano sound, it makes you sound like a fool triggering something else. I can't pin it down though.
Dragan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I triggered another synth (novation MiniNova) directly via MIDI and it works excellent with the factory default velocity. Then I triggered some piano samples via Ableton and the result was very good. No big difference as when playing the Kross Grand Piano itself. I have 88-keys though where the key action differs from the 61-version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: