Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Step Up from MICROSTATION?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Next Step Up from MICROSTATION? Reply with quote

I'm enjoying my Microstation immensely, however.. while I would never part with it, I would like to add a more full sized Korg synth, similar to the Microstation, with not a huge jump and damage to the budget…(I'm probably talking used, Ebay.etc)

My research tells me that the X50 is a pretty logical jump to the MCStation..

any one else with any suggestions?
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Next Step Up from MICROSTATION? Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
I'm enjoying my Microstation immensely, however.. while I would never part with it, I would like to add a more full sized Korg synth, similar to the Microstation, with not a huge jump and damage to the budget…(I'm probably talking used, Ebay.etc)

My research tells me that the X50 is a pretty logical jump to the MCStation..

any one else with any suggestions?

I'd go with the Kross instead, although if what you are looking for is a full sized keyboard, a MIDI controller might be a better option, and split your combis on both keybeds.

I have the MS and use it with 2 separate midi controllers, a Roland A33 (76 semi weighted keys) and a Wavestation (The best synth action keys ever), which I don't use its internal sounds, but for a couple songs only. The rest of the time is just playing the sounds inside the MS.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
captain54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions. By full size, I meant normal sized keys, not necessarily 88

I've gotten pretty good with navigating the MS, so I was wondering if there's an upgrade from the MS that has and does the same as the MS, maybe a bit more expanded
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
Good suggestions. By full size, I meant normal sized keys, not necessarily 88

I've gotten pretty good with navigating the MS, so I was wondering if there's an upgrade from the MS that has and does the same as the MS, maybe a bit more expanded

That is what I meant too. The Wavestation is 61 keys, and the A33 is 76. I have no 88 key keyboard.

As I said, the direct upgrade from the MS is the Kross. The Krome would be the upgrade from the M50.

Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
captain54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. Good information. Just curious though, where does the x50 fit into it all? A used Karma? Is it an upgrade from the MS? I'm a Roland guy for years, just recently jumped ship
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
Thanks man. Good information. Just curious though, where does the x50 fit into it all? A used Karma? Is it an upgrade from the MS? I'm a Roland guy for years, just recently jumped ship

The X50 was released with the Tritons. It was a budget version, much like the Kross is to the Krome today. I don't really know how good it is, but the main difference is that is not a workstation, but a synth. For the specs, I can see that full 16 sound combinations are not possible, but only 8. It also uses the Triton's HI synthesis engine, instead of the newer EDS used in current workstations, like the MS.

If you have the chance of checking one out in a store, you should take a look and see if the keybed is worth it.

captain54

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Martin… very helpful..

I'm totally mesmerized with the combo setup in the MS… unleashes a world of creativity.. especially for my purposes, indie film scores and beds for voiceover narrations…I'm trying to set up two workstations.. one at the desk (the MS) and one in more of an open room with possible live playing.. I'd be disappointed I guess with something like an X50, I guess .. cause it seems like a downgrade…according to the specs you laid out

whatever I can accomplish with the MS, but with full sized and 61 keys..thats where I need to be.. I believe you already said that the KROSS was the way to go, to get the same functions as the MS as well as the sound quality
captain54

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KROSS purchased… found a used board and couldn't pass it up…

it's definitely a MS on steroids… after messing with the KROSS, its hard to go back to the teeny screen on the MS… the sequencer is also much easier to navigate.. sound wise, I would have to say the MS holds its own with the KROSS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: