Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do i need to make drum and bass ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: What do i need to make drum and bass ? Reply with quote

Hey,i'm new to this forum and new to synths world,so don't be rude please Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Anyway i would like to know which synth do i need to make dubstep and/or drum and bass,around the price tag of korg's volca series, but i don't really know what to pick.
Any help is 100% appreciated, Thanks !!!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Kaossilator, Electribe, Roland MC-808, Native Instruments Massive. There are many others out there capable of creating the required sounds. Whether they're "meaty" enough to satisfy the market, I'll let you decide.

The basic requirements are a synth that can has at least one lfo with key sync, BPM sync, phase adjustment and polarity to route to the filter and other effects to get the required tight, synced basses. A dual filter with serial/parallel options can broaden your options.

Search engines are your friend plus take a look at some YouTube videos. Search on YouTube for e.g. "dubstep kaossilator" or "creating dubstep hardware" and see what comes up.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for the typical dubstep sound I think you're looking for Native Instruments Massive, which is a software synthesizer that runs on your computer. It has pretty much defined the genre.

But it sounds like you're starting out completely so I agree that Youtube tutorials are a good place to start, and don't get lost in all the options. You can make almost any style with almost any instrument if you know what you're doing.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with some the above but if it was me I would save a bit and buy maschine, it comes with massive and monarch and quite a bit else and works great for what you want to do. Everything you would need in one shot plus some.
DaniH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Roland SH-201 for my baselines for some darkstep and neurofunk sounds. It can create some great Reese basses. I also use a MC-808, MC-909, Korg EMX, Korg R3, and Mininova. The mininova editor works fine as a vst that's compatible with any daw. Perfect for dubstep.
alek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Thank you so much ! Reply with quote

Thank you so much !
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Maschine is great. Requires a decent computer and soundcard to work but it's a great product and amazing value.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex do you currently have a computer of some sort and a DAW? Sadly maschine is much more expensive then a volca and requires a computer. Might help if you let us know what you already have to work with.
alek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately i don't have a DAW Sad
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just stick with a volca, capable inexpensive, give you something to create with until funds are saved for something else?
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were looking at old skool D'n'B (170-180bpm), it was all about MIDI and samples/samplers.

You could use modern so-called 'tracker' sequencers such as Renoise to trigger samples and build up loops/tracks, or you could use a graphical pattern-based approach like FLStudio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: