Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor response for brushing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayola

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Poor response for brushing Reply with quote

Hi there from a new guy on forum. I hope someone could help me out with following issue.
I just got second-hand Wavedrum Silver and, despite of its awesomeness, I've spotted one flaw.
Namely, brushing / scratching on the head with hands or sticks produces almost no sound. The only responsive area is right under the sensor cover, on the right, size of a fist.
So I wonder if it could be a hardware issue or head tension adjustment may help. I didn't try it yet as I'm new in the field. I know that previous owner was replacing the head.
I'm a bit worried that even the small active area isn't centered but moved to the right which may suggest that some sensors just don't work.
I'd be grateful for any tips.
cpcohen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW (I'm a new owner myself) --

Three things to try:

1. The manual describes how to replace and adjust the head, and re-adjust the pressure sensor. Adjust the head and pressure sensor first -- the adjustments are a bit finicky.

2. There are several "global" parameters that affect the sensitivity of the head. Looking at the list, I'd try these first:

. . . H.ca / Lo (this is the "cutoff" -- a softer hit doesn't make any sound)

. . . H.ca / Sen (this sets the sensitivity of the head for striking force)

. . . Opt / H.se (this sets the input sensitivity of the head)

One danger is that, if the instrument is set so it's delicate enough to "feel" brushes, it may become sensitive to acoustic feedback, or too sensitive to play with tapping fingers.

3. If you use the "Search" function here, you can search the WaveDrum forum for the keyword "brushes". There are _many_ previous threads that come up.

Please report back -- it's an interesting question.

. Charles
grayola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpcohen thanks a lot for reply. I didn't try recalibrating yet but will definitely do that.
I also realized that most presets just don't really support brushing (right?).
What made me worried at first was that brushing is working for most presets only around the sensor cover. Now I guess that it's not really intended, just the side effect of sensor's presence.
Still, I'd love to know if my conclusions are right Smile
cpcohen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've made me get a set of brushes!

First impressions -- there are _lots_ of "brush-sensitive" presets. I'll come up with a list tomorrow. Since you have a "Silver" wavedrum, I'll leave out the presets above 99.

I suspect that, when you re-calibrate the instrument, you'll get better results.

One other thing to consider:

My Wavedrum came with a Remo Fiberskyn head, which has a fairly rough surface. If you use brushes on a dead-smooth head, they'll make less noise.

. Charles
cpcohen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing around with brushes, on the first 22 programs (and some with higher numbers):

Most of the programs take the sound of the brushes on the head, and move that to the audio output.

Many -- not all -- apply some processing to the brush sound. Mostly, the "processing" applies resonance -- the same resonance as used for the "strike the head" sound. For example, if you use brushes on the "Udu udu" (#37), you'll get a sound similar to using brushes on the outside of a resonant clay pot. #20 (Tricky Low Conga/Shaker) is another nicely resonant example. #29 (Shaker/Triangle) makes the "shhhh" of the brush into a high-pitch metallic "shhhh" -- like touching a bell with sandpaper.

Very few of the programs use brush noise to trigger any other sound. Program 77 (Water SE) is an exception.

I think that's how the instrument was designed. I've seen Youtube videos (and occasionally performances) where the performer starts by rubbing his hands over the drumhead. That sound -- head vibration, modified by body resonance -- is what most of the Wavedrum programs give you, when you use brushes.

I think I'll keep my brushes -- no telling when they might be useful.

. Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: