Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Codec Reset"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markeis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: "Codec Reset" Reply with quote

Hello Friends, I was very pleased with the performance of the King until it started giving me a message on the screen "Codec Reset" on start-up after initializing. The message went away (and still does) after anything (key/knob/button) is pressed but no sound output upon hitting the keys. The first time this happened I powered it off, back on, and sound output was back and with no message. The problem became more and more frequent until eventually it persisted through any number of power recycles. I took it to a certified repair shop and all they could tell me about the problem was it was within the main board and suggested replacing it. After waiting about 3 months for the board to arrive and installed, I got my keyboard back. Good as new for a couple months... then the problem returned. Just hunting around for any recommendations or suggestions on what to do with the thing, thanks.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm sorry to hear this. I think it should be taken back to the repair shop (under warranty). Maybe there is something that ruined the motherboard again, e.g. a bad power supply or a power surge from the wall socket. Or you did something wrong unintentionally - connected a cable, pedal or device etc. You need to tell your circumstances in details to the shop.

(I am just wandering what took 3 months to wait...)
Markeis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repair warranty was only good for 30 days or something, of course it took longer than that to start acting up again. I suspected it might be something else that caused the motherboard to fail on the first go around, though this second failure seems like a confirmation. The wait was on Korg to actually supply the board, it was on order nearly the entire time. I do have the old board though, potentially another shop could actually troubleshoot the board itself to see where it failed? It would be nice to find the root cause and go after fixing that before I continue to replace motherboards at ~1/4 of the price of a new KK. As I haven't plugged in/out anything other than the output and power cords, only when power was off, that would be an unlikely cause. I did although hear some interesting static/interference patterns come out of it on several occasions, I'll take those as a hint... maybe it is the power supply. I'll put a meter on it for starters, thanks for the suggestions.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree and cannot add much more to your ideas but this came to my mind:

1. I understand there is no sound output from main L/R but the headphones are also silent?
2. Do the buttons and pots work, can you change parameters, save internal patches, load them from the librarian software?
3. If yes, have you checked the Amp settings or anything which might be related with the sound level? Maybe they are at "0" or turned off - even if you see another value (due to buggy software), so try to change them. Start with a fresh initialized patch, change also filter cutoffs and every physical and software control to see if the sound comes back.
4. Maybe the repair shop can compare the old and the new board to find if the same part is broken - which could lead to the solution.

P.S. The 3 months waiting for Korg means something. Maybe there was no replacement part in stock so they had to manufacture this piece.

I hope you find the solution. Wish you good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: