Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Prophecy - no power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Virtual Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Korg Prophecy - no power Reply with quote

I last used my Prophecy about 3 weeks ago and it was fine, however last night I was due to play a New Years Eve gig and when I plugged it in there was nothing - it simply would not switch on.
I tried several power cords but nothing got it to fire up.
Before I open it up does anyone know what I should be looking for?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the mains socket is OK, after opening up the Prophecy, check that mains is getting to the mains input socket, and that the switch works correctly. If mains is getting to the PSU board, check that the correct DC voltages are present on the PSU outputs.
nico88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Your reply Reply with quote

Thanks, I will open it up tomorrow and report back to you.
Regards, Nic
nico88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Korg Prophecy - no power Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Assuming the mains socket is OK, after opening up the Prophecy, check that mains is getting to the mains input socket, and that the switch works correctly. If mains is getting to the PSU board, check that the correct DC voltages are present on the PSU outputs.

Hi Voip,
We have power to the socket, and also to the switch, and power from the cable attached to the switch internally, but nothing coming out of the PSU. Checked the PSU cable coming out of the PSU and this is
fine. Internal fuse ok too.
Can you help?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like the KLM-1856 power supply has failed. It's a switched mode PSU type that can probably be repaired by anyone with reasonable electronics knowledge who understands them. There are high DC voltages present so the risks need to be understood.

There are books about repairing SMPSUs if you want to try the DIY route.

I'm not aware of any common failure type. Are there any visual signs of burnt out components or bulging/leaking electrolytic capacitors?

If repair isn't an option, there are a couple of Prophecy PSUs going on eBay at the moment. Parts Is Parts could also be contacted at http://www.guitar-parts.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Virtual Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: