Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to synths, need help with sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraphmoon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: New to synths, need help with sounds Reply with quote

Hello everyone, so we are starting a Type O Negative cover band, I am doing the vocals, and since I am also the only one who has piano experience I am also playing keyboard. I had the money and wanted a good one, so I went ahead and bought the Korg Kronos 2, so that is what I have to work with.

The first song that we are going to record is Wolf Moon by Type O Negative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbejSaGG9k

As the title says, I need help know what sounds Josh Silver, the keyboardist, is playing in the different parts of the song. I don't need anything too in depth, I can hear the notes and know where they are on the piano, but I am a total beginner with synths and with 2,000 sounds on the Kronos I don't know where to even start to find them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the Kronos 2 is not something I think you'll ever regret. The Kronos is a fabulous tool to work with. Yes, there are debates about the relative merits of the Kronos versus keyboards like the Motif or the Fantom, but the sheer tweakability and range of effects and controls gives the Kronos a significant edge.

To my ears, quite a few of the sounds in Wolf Moon come from what I think are probably quite extensive guitar effects. The synth sounds are not generally very dominant in the mix so it's difficult to pick out the distinct characteristics of any particular sound. However, there are definitely quite a few sounds in the Wolf Moon song that the Kronos can make, or can be tweaked to make. Using the category popup near the top of the screen opens a dropdown menu with categories listed as tabs down the left hand side. This narrows the choices considerably to e.g. motion synth, strings, SFX, so if you know the type of sound you're after, there's no need to go through each of the many programs and combinations to find it.

jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend going to the Kronos thread in this forum. That's where you'll get the most help I think.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: