Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding KRONOS aftertouch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Understanding KRONOS aftertouch Reply with quote

Anyone know of any programs in KRONOS that use aftertouch?
Tried to calibrate aftertouch but couldnt.
I figure if i had a program that uses aftertouch, it might help me figure out better how to use aftertouch in KRONOS.
Many thanks to anyone who has any info on this. Smile
Synthee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

User A 078 FunKey Lead for example.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not familiar with the use of after touch you probably should not be trying to calibrate it unless you suspect something is wrong. It's usually set ok from the factory.

Adjusting the "After Touch Curve" parameter in Global Mode may be better way to adjust the response to pressure. Page 754 in the Parameter Guide has some info about this.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll do no harm calibrating the Aftertouch pressure level - it's there for a valid reason. The AT on my 1st Gen K61 was perfect out of the box, but I noticed a huge difference when I got the K2-88, as it needed more pressure before AT kicked in. It took a few weeks before I realised that re-calibrating to a lower level was the answer.

To set up the calibration, go into the Global settings, tap the Basic Setup Menu tab (top right) and select Aftertouch Calibration.

Play a key and slowly increase the pressure - You'll see a blue bar appear on the screen - when you're finger reaches a comfortable pressure, let go of the key (My preference is set when the bar is a little over a third of the way across, but that's for my RH3 keybed and may be TOO sensitive for the Kronos 61). The maximum aftertouch pressure is now calibrated to your preference. Try different levels until you're happy.

And now, if you need it, here's an example of how to use aftertouch controlling LFO pitch mod depth in a program.

Find any program that uses the AL-1 EXi

1. Tap the MAIN menu (Top Right) and initialise the Program (don't worry, you don't need to save anything)

2. Tap EXi1, and make sure you're on the OSC/PITCH page

3. Tap PITCH EG/MOD

4. In the middle section (Osc1 and Sub Osc Pitch Modulation), tap AMS1 and select LFO1. Go across to Intensity Mod AMS and select AFTERTOUCH (not Poly Aftertouch unless you have a keyboard that supports it).

5. Press down on any key firmly, and adjust the intensity of the LFO Mod.

Aftertouch is now set to modulate Osc 1 with LFO 1 Wink
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you could globally adjust the AT!

Now I can set it so I don't have to listen to my knuckles creaking!
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Synthee, Bald Eagle,and Broadwave.
Broadwave, your info is better than the KRONOS manual.
This forum is most excellent. Very Happy Smile
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mention of the calibration page. I had used it early on when I first got my Kronos, but had set it to go to max.

Using the advice to set it to about a third to halfway instead results in a finer amount of control, requiring less pressure to get an effect. Fingers are happier now. Using the calibration this way in conjunction with the After Touch Curve gets that closer to that sweet spot of natural responsiveness.

Too bad Velocity doesn't have a calibration setting to use together with the Curve settings...
chini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Great info! Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
To set up the calibration, go into the Global settings, tap the Basic Setup Menu tab (top right) and select Aftertouch Calibration.

Play a key and slowly increase the pressure - You'll see a blue bar appear on the screen - when you're finger reaches a comfortable pressure, let go of the key (My preference is set when the bar is a little over a third of the way across, but that's for my RH3 keybed and may be TOO sensitive for the Kronos 61). The maximum aftertouch pressure is now calibrated to your preference. Try different levels until you're happy.:

Yes! Indeed thanks for this pointer chap! I have only ever played around with the global aftertouch curve setting to get the touch I'm after! I never thought to look the term up to see if there was a way to get an even more customed response! Excellent! javascript:emoticon('Wink')

Never ceases to amaze me the new things one discovers hidden in this marvellous musical instrument! Wink Wink

Always be true to yourself
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
Broadwave, your info is better than the KRONOS manual.

Nope - you're just lazy to read it with attention Wink
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did reference the manual, but i found Broadwaves explanation had better straight forward vigorous english ( or at least for me).
I am new to some things on KRONOS, so i check the manual,and i ask questions.
I want to make sure i know exactly what something does. Smile
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this being an issue when the Kronos first came out a lot of people tired to get the blue bar all the way across because they thought it meant they were getting full after touch values which was obviously not the case.
Gaston

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the original Kronos with the 3.0 update installed but have never been able to get aftertouch to work. When I try to calibrate, it gives me an error message that says, "Can't calibrate". I really wish I could fix this...
kronos-tutorials

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos Aftertouch tutorial Reply with quote

Hi. I recently did a tutorial blog post on the aftertouch setup on the Korg Kronos. I've had mine for a couple years and I'm just now finally digging in to figure out all the details of how it works. There are so many settings!! So, as I figure stuff out, I'm planning to do a blog post for each new thing I've learned. It's mostly for my own reference, but if it can help someone else out, all the better!

Feel free to check it out at http://kronos.kennyray.com/korg-kronos-aftertouch/

Kenny Cool

Beginner Korg Kronos tutorials at http://kronos.kennyray.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: