Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg MS20m kit build and testing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbeerbelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Korg MS20m kit build and testing Reply with quote

Hi all,
I recently put my Korg MS20m together and have spent a few hours playing with it. So I thought I would share my thoughts;

1. Putting the unit together was pretty straight forward but I did encounter a few niggles. Firstly the manual tells you to disconnect the main volume/on-off switch from the panel jack board. I couldn't get this to move and was worried about damaging the cable and maybe the circuit board itself. So I left it connected.

I can see why Korg tell you to remove it to fit to the top panel as it was quite fiddly trying to insert the switch into the hole at the same time holding the panel jack board but none the less I fitted it.

The second niggle was with both junction boards. The manual asks the owner to put nut A onto each connector before inserting it into the top panel. I found this extremely hard work on at least 3-4 of the jacks. the nuts were so tight I was in fear of cracking the circuit boards! Again after a few hairy moments everything was fitted and I had the unit up and running. Also just to clarify I didn't once cross thread any of the nuts.

Now having spent a few hours using the MS20m I found the same issue that Nick Bates had when he reviewed the MS20 kit where changing the octave setting on either oscillator produced a audible thud; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBPnOtsyp4 goto 9:05 to see what I am experiencing.

Does anyone else have this issue?

TBH it's not a real problem but it would be nice to hear from anyone else just to see if my units the only one affected by this.

The REV2 LP filter doesn't seem as raw as others I have seen on youtube. Mine really struggles to let rip. I know it's not as nasty as the REV1 but it should sound fairly similar.

That's it for the moment but as I test it further I will update. I'm still trying to get my head around the SQ-1. I also found it suprising that the junction connectors that you plug the SQ-1 into don't appear to be connected to any of the circuit boards!
joelsampson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built mine. The junction patch boards have the wrong nuts. Mine is screwed up - not happy. I'm going to contact Korg.

I figure it's an U.S. vs. Metric issue?

Other than that - it's great.

joel in Dallas
Steinberger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially got the nuts for the knob posts and the patch panel mixed up and didn't realize it until I had finished the knobs and the piece count was off Smile
mrbeerbelly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have either of you encountered the issue when changing pitch using the octave switches on either oscillator?

Other people on a different forum have had real problems with the junction board nut fixings. So I guess its just a quality control issue at Korg.
mrbeerbelly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the MS20m today and I have found there is an issue with oscillator 2.

When playing via my controller keyboard or using the trigger switch on the unit itself there appears to be a double trigger of the note. I push the key down I hear a note and when I release the key it triggers the note again!

same thing happens via the units trigger switch.

It doesn't matter what waveform is used but does sound more prominent in the higher octaves.

All knobs in the MG section are at zero and EG2 is A-0 D-10 S-10 R-2.

I wondered if there was some bleed from the MG in oscillator 2?

oscillator 1 appears to be ok.

I have done a quick you tube vid and hope someone will be able to give a clue to why this has just started happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT7wP-OhV4M&

Thanks in advance for any help.
mrbeerbelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone with the MS20m had a chance to look at their units to see if oscillator 2 does the same as mine?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: