Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I would like to get an electribe EMX-1 SD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

EMX vs ESX?
EMX
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
ESX
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
tough question
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Don't like either
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

theonlyvard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: I would like to get an electribe EMX-1 SD Reply with quote

Hello there,

I am after an electribe EMX-1 SD but can't find any for sale in the UK. Does anyone know where i can get one, or does anyone have one they want to sell? I got a budget of around £250.

Also anyone know how well it clock syncs with the kaossilator Pro+, I am currently using a MicroKORG and Kaossilator Pro+.

Thanks for any help, Have a swell day.
MicroKORG, Electribe MX-1 SD, Kaossilator Pro+, Kaossilator 2, Monotron, Volca keys, Prosound MiniMixer, KRK Rokit 5, Line6 Spider3, Sonnus G2M, Stylophone, Home-made digital synth, Home-made Electric Diddly bo, Gio Ibanez, Kazoo, Some blue coloured acoustic stringed instrument, one of them frog things, porcelain sheep, harmonica, decorative djembe, minitaure recorder on a keyring, calculator, A banana stand with a mic cable tied to the top

Used to have:
SparkLE, Launchpad mini, Koassilator, inferior acoustic instruments

-Ed
thesigma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I would like to get an electribe EMX-1 SD Reply with quote

theonlyvard wrote:
Hello there,

I am after an electribe EMX-1 SD but can't find any for sale in the UK. Does anyone know where i can get one, or does anyone have one they want to sell? I got a budget of around £250.

Also anyone know how well it clock syncs with the kaossilator Pro+, I am currently using a MicroKORG and Kaossilator Pro+.

Thanks for any help, Have a swell day.

Can't help you on your questions, other than look for one on eBay...I got both my ESX-1SD and EMX1SD in near mint from eBay. They are no longer made by korg so finding one new is unlikely.

Also your poll should include one more option, Both!
djcactus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a pretty stable controller if it doesn't have the knob jitter issue(there is a post that teaches you how to take care of it).

Other then that I would say go for the EMX, the sampler version is more of a hassle. I have an ESX and just use it as an ableton controller, which you could do just as effectively with the EMX as well.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first ESX and EMX in April, 2004. Since then I have used both extensively in every application, both live and in composition. The EMX is boring. I've played over 100 live shows with only the ESX, usually when I need to get around baggage restrictions. The ESX is a powerful machine in an inexpensive package. I have explored the unit in depth. Here is my YouTube channel: http://youtube.com/danieklerr
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit : weird.. Double post and I didn't actually send it twice.

Last edited by sauce on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
thesigma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had the knob jitter issue on either of mine, as stated both are the SD versions.

The EMX alone can get a little Sammy after a while, and the ESX can be a bit weak as a synth. It also depends heavily on style preferences. If I really had to choose one or the other .......ESX gets the edge. Together they cover each other's weaknesses. Though you can cover those weaknesses with other gear as well....
djcactus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauce was actually the reason why I got the ESX, but I had already ran ableton so the sampling features left me wanting a little more. That being said Sauce also taught me how to make all sorts of sweet music and sounds including the single cycle waveform oldschool sounds.

If you can commit to the ESX it will yield proportionally in your favor.
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcactus wrote:
Sauce was actually the reason why I got the ESX, but I had already ran ableton so the sampling features left me wanting a little more. That being said Sauce also taught me how to make all sorts of sweet music and sounds including the single cycle waveform oldschool sounds.

Thank you, sir; I appreciate that. Anyway, the ESX is far from perfect. If the new Sampler unit was an ESX with the EMX waves, decent polyphony, 16-bars, multiple outputs, mastering effects, the ability to put slice, stretch and keyboard parts on all 16 channels *AND* the legendary Electribe sequencer, well.. then I'd pay $1k easily and be a happy man.
thesigma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:
djcactus wrote:

Thank you, sir; I appreciate that. Anyway, the ESX is far from perfect. If the new Sampler unit was an ESX with the EMX waves, decent polyphony, 16-bars, multiple outputs, mastering effects, the ability to put slice, stretch and keyboard parts on all 16 channels *AND* the legendary Electribe sequencer, well.. then I'd pay $1k easily and be a happy man.

This!
theonlyvard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankz everyone for the quick replies u mention ableton a lot, I am not really an ableton fan. Can they worm alone just as a peice of hardware?

Have a swell day
MicroKORG, Electribe MX-1 SD, Kaossilator Pro+, Kaossilator 2, Monotron, Volca keys, Prosound MiniMixer, KRK Rokit 5, Line6 Spider3, Sonnus G2M, Stylophone, Home-made digital synth, Home-made Electric Diddly bo, Gio Ibanez, Kazoo, Some blue coloured acoustic stringed instrument, one of them frog things, porcelain sheep, harmonica, decorative djembe, minitaure recorder on a keyring, calculator, A banana stand with a mic cable tied to the top

Used to have:
SparkLE, Launchpad mini, Koassilator, inferior acoustic instruments

-Ed
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Funny that, I sent a design to korg with explanations for enhancing the emx/esx in exactly the same way ten years ago! They must've been so gobsmacked as they didn't even reply!!! WinkRazz

Both units work alone and are great but the emx sounds are quite limiting and samey.
NickZoll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using EMX for a long time. Synth engine is ok but drum samples as well as other samples are out of date. It was ok 8 years ago when I bought it. But today I would rather buy ESX. I should mention there is no big difference between EMX SD and EMX on smart media and it is easier to find the last.
Telengard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZoll wrote:
I should mention there is no big difference between EMX SD and EMX on smart media and it is easier to find the last.

And the power supply differences.
thesigma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telengard wrote:
NickZoll wrote:
I should mention there is no big difference between EMX SD and EMX on smart media and it is easier to find the last.

As noted, different power supplies, SD power supply is a 12V switching supply, easy to come by if you need to replace, just save the tip from the old one its a slightly odd, though not possible to find, size.

SD's are newer, so likely to be in better shape. I also haven't heard of anyone with an SD having the internal fuse problem or the knob jitter issue.( though I could be wrong, I haven't heard of it, and both my SD units have never had these problems).

SD cards are easily obtainable and many modern computers still have readers built in, if not readers are also refill available. Prices of SmartMedia cards and readers on eBay are crazy stupid......though with patience you can snag a reasonable deal.

I'm not saying don't buy a non SD version, but those are things to consider. Functionally there is no difference, but little things like that may be important to you, they were to me.
Telengard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:
Telengard wrote:
NickZoll wrote:

As noted, different power supplies, SD power supply is a 12V switching supply, easy to come by if you need to replace, just save the tip from the old one its a slightly odd, though not possible to find, size.

Only noting the fact because for me it would have been a deal breaker as I was using an external battery that outputted 12v DC, which was super easy to find and worked simply by just plugging it in being able to play anywhere without plugging into mains.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: