Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Korg MR-1 doesn't appear as hard drive on my computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miki Mart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: My Korg MR-1 doesn't appear as hard drive on my computer Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

it happened a few months ago. Connecting the MR-1 to my computer nothing happened, just no sign of life. Until the day before it worked fine.
The computer itself doesn't "see" the device at all and it doesn't ask to install its drivers or anything else.
I have tried a few possible solutions, especially a potential installation of the Cypress AT2LP RC42 driver, which is in my computer (as a file, not installed), but the computer doesn't ask (as I said before) to install or search for a driver. It is like if I connected the kettle in my computer, nothing happens.
Without connection via USB, the MR-1 is nearly useless, just another electrical appliance and nothing more...

Any idea, please?

Thanks for your time and, I hope, help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac or PC?
Miki Mart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

PC, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, but I've also tried on XP. It worked fine with W7, then suddenly no longer detected.

I've contacted the Italian licensed service for Korg and they told me it could be the motherboard. I'm not quite sure it is...

Apart from this it would cost 180 euros, plus shipping, another 20.

With 200 euros, you can buy another digital recorder not bad at all.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it work with the XP machine? Trying XP was mentioned, but not the result.

Has USB mode been selected on the MR-1?

If it did work on the XP machine then it's probably a driver issue. If so, try USB Device view, which is a useful utility that allows installed USB drivers to be viewed and selectively deleted. When the device is next inserted, the drivers are reinstalled. I had that sort of issue with a built-in SD card reader in a brand new laptop. The drivers had been installed twice, causing the SD card not to appear in Windows Explorer.

www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

If it didn't work in XP either, then it's probably the MR-1. If so, have you tried a factory reset? It's only available from software Version 1.5, but is worth trying.
Miki Mart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Did it work with the XP machine? Trying XP was mentioned, but not the result.

Has USB mode been selected on the MR-1?

If it did work on the XP machine then it's probably a driver issue. If so, try USB Device view, which is a useful utility that allows installed USB drivers to be viewed and selectively deleted. When the device is next inserted, the drivers are reinstalled. I had that sort of issue with a built-in SD card reader in a brand new laptop. The drivers had been installed twice, causing the SD card not to appear in Windows Explorer.

www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

If it didn't work in XP either, then it's probably the MR-1. If so, have you tried a factory reset? It's only available from software Version 1.5, but is worth trying.

Hi, I'm sorry for the delay, question of different time zone.

No, it didn't work with XP, no sign of life.
Yes, of course I selected USB mode on the MR-1, quite a few times.
I've tried three times a factory reset, not connected with the computer and also when connected. I also tried the hole near to the volume buttons, inserting and keeping pushed a needle in it. No result.
In my MR-1 I've installed the 1.6.1 system version and the factory reset works in it as well.
Today, I found the drivers in my computer together with other files. I've unistalled everything, then connected the MR-1 to the computer activating the USB mode, but not even this made the computer OS to ask for drivers...
Just before experiencing the issue, I got the internal battery changed. I did it myself with maximum care and accuracy. It worked (via USB) for a couple of days and then the issue springed. Could the problem be associated to the battery change? Or, maybe, with the installation of 1.6.1 system version?

Thanks.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something associated with the USB connection was disturbed during the battery change then it could be the reason. Have you tried other USB cables and also looked closely at how good the connector fit is, and also for possible damage to the USB socket? It might be worth putting gentle sideways pressure for a few seconds at a time in different directions on the plugged in cable whilst using the USBDeview utility as a way of checking if there is an intermittent connection there.
Miki Mart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
If something associated with the USB connection was disturbed during the battery change then it could be the reason. Have you tried other USB cables and also looked closely at how good the connector fit is, and also for possible damage to the USB socket? It might be worth putting gentle sideways pressure for a few seconds at a time in different directions on the plugged in cable whilst using the USBDeview utility as a way of checking if there is an intermittent connection there.

After changing the battery, everything worked fine, USB connection included.

A few days later the whole issue started.

What if I disconnect the battery leaving it to discharge completely and then put it back in place and charge it?...
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly worth a try.

Completely discharging the battery pack is probably not a good idea. It would be better to disconnect the battery, followed by pressing the power on button, followed by shorting the battery connections in the recorder (not on the battery), and leaving it for a few more minutes. In the meantime, if possible, get a good light and a good magnifier - ideally a stereo microscope, to take a really good look at the circuitry, especially around the USB connection and the USB driver pins, to make sure nothing is loose or broken.

Only then reconnect the battery.

If that doesn't work, the problem could be down to an internal fault within one of the devices. Tracking such a problem down would require a schematic and test equipment.

PS Just noticed in the user manual the following: "You must use the included AC adaptor when entering USB mode".
Miki Mart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried everything you kindly suggested, unfortunately without luck.

Connecting the device to the computer I've always scrupulously followed the procedure stated in the owner's manual.

So, I reckon it's time, sadly, to give up and contact the Italian Korg technicians and pay them those 240$ in order to have the MR-1 back serviceable.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time and help.

I'll let you know, if you want, after recondition work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: