Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

64 MB memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: 64 MB memory Reply with quote

By expanding memory to the max of 64mb, will i have to take out the 16mb board? And will this erase my "pcg " programs I have assigned to my sample sounds?
Thanks

Korg M3, Korg Triton Classic, Hammond B200
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16MB of RAM is erased every time you turn off your Triton. Everything else is stored on the Triton.

Yank that out of there and enjoy your 64MB. You won't lose anything...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
part12studios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I know I'm late to this thread but can anyone confirm what kind of ram I need to make a full 64mb..

I currently have 48mb so I don't need all new chips I think.. I'm not sure how my configuration is exactly, but i appear to have all the slots filled up.

slot 1 - chip with 2 chips on it
slot 2 - chip with 2 chips on it
slot 3 - chip with 2 chips on it
slot 4 - chip with 8 chips on it

It's been so many years now since I cracked it open.. I just don't know what those chips were and would rather not do any unnecessary adding / removing / testing.

According to this FAQ which claims to include classic talks about 16 and 32mb chips.. but can my 4 slot system even accept 32mb chips? I thought the max ram was 64mb. http://i.korg.com/services/downloads/pdf/TRITON_FAQs.pdf would it be possible to plop in a 32mb chip and just remove the excess chips leaving some slots open?

I see various 72pin ram on sale for next to nothing on ebay.. I just need to be sure i buy the right kind for my Original Triton 61key (not LE)
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U need 2 - 32 Mbps chips. So 2 slots are for memory and the other slots are for PCM sound cards
part12studios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. I know there are a lot of different flavors of triton but these 4 slots are all identical and look exactly like this:

I've never seen PCM sound cards that look like 72pin simms.

That picture is not from a triton but the triton is downstairs closed back up again. it would seem if the MB had 4 slots it wouldn't accept 32mb simms. Maybe the architecture was more dynamic than I give it credit, but my assumption would be that if has 4 slots like this it would only allow up to 16mb simms to total 64mb which is the cap of this unit.

Or maybe Firmware updates increased this? That would be awesome.[/img]
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out.
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/131708175296
part12studios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's far out. Smile

so is the system some how smart and just checks if a slot is ram or rom?

i'm pretty sure that each of the chips in the slots are all being recognized by the system. When I put the ram in there it was when 72 pin was still popular so I was careful to pick the best ram combination possible. So it's not like i stuck a 32 mb chip and a 16mb chip in there and the other 2 are unrecognized.. but it was like 15 years ago.. so hmm might have to look again Smile

I know that none of the 4 simm chips in there are rom.. they are ram chips from other samplers I owned at the time.

Thanks,
Caleb
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When u power on it shows on screen what's installed in those slots.
part12studios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you're totally right! i never really paid much attention to it.. but i do have a 32mb and 16mb simm in there according to the bootup screen.

At the time I guess I just assumed they were all for memory and like my other samplers like my peavey with a similar memory chip configuration.. So I just put a bunch of chips in there to pack it up thinking it would help.. but i guess those other two are just being ignored. This is cool because it also means I can take some of that ram back and put it elsewhere Smile

Thanks for educating me on this! Smile 32mb simm on order. only $5 / free shipping.. gotta love a bargain..

Now if I could find a moss board for a reasonable price.. Razz $400-ish on ebay is absurd.. you can get a Z1 just a little more..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: