Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Patch Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
racer25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Midi Patch Change Reply with quote

Basic question that I should know, but…

Using Oasys with 2 other keyboards (Karma, JD800) to layer or stack sounds on midi channel 1 of sequencer. During the song, I want to change the patch on just the Karma, for example. How would I do this? I think I should not have all 3 boards set to the same midi channel, but then how to stack/layer these?

Thanks for any input...

(Korg Oasys, Wavestation SR, Korg Karma, Roland JD800, Yamaha TX816, Omnisphere & a few other soft synths).
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using a Foot Switch, connected to your KARMA? You can play everything from the OASYS, but use the foot switch to change the KARMA program.
racer25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. I can do that for "live" performance, but was looking to record the patch change into a song/sequence via midi. I have some ideas I'm trying, so will see what might work. Just thought there might be a simple trick here that I'm over-looking. Thanks again for reply.

(Korg Oasys, Wavestation SR, Korg Karma, Roland JD800, Yamaha TX816, Omnisphere & a few other soft synths).
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer25 wrote:
Thanks, Mike. I can do that for "live" performance, but was looking to record the patch change into a song/sequence via midi....Just thought there might be a simple trick here that I'm over-looking.

Oh! In that case, the "trick" is to put your KARMA keyboard on MIDI channel 2, in Global mode (or use a sound on track 2 of its Sequence mode). With the OASYS, you will be in Sequence mode with the KARMA switch activated. Press the KARMA tab on the lower row of the viewscreen and go to the GE SETUP/KEY ZONES page.

Under GE SETUP, uncheck the RUN boxes for modules A and B. Check the "Thru in Z" boxes for both.

Under MIDI I/O, set the INPUT CH for A and B to "01." Check the "Track Thru" boxes, at the far right, for both A and B.

This procedure will allow you to play all three keyboards from channel 1, even though the KARMA board is on channel 2 (or has a program in Track 2).

On the OASYS' sequencer go to Track 2 (channel 2) and make sure it is controlling your KARMA's program. Select the KARMA's program from the OASYS' sequencer track. Make sure that program number is highlighted (so you can change it at the right point) and press RECORD. At the desired measure or point, change the program to the one you want.

When you play back, the start of the song will go back to the original sound and then change where you entered the event. This would even work for a live situation. Just start the sequencer, which runs silently and play your layers. The KARMA program will change automatically while you play.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried sequencing this. Be sure to set the OASYS Track 2 to EXT (TRACK PARAMETER page). That way you won't hear an additional OASYS sound, along with the other three layers.

Record your performance on Track 1. In the TRACK EDIT page, COPY TRACK 1 to Track 2. You will have to add the program change by recording a new pass on Track 2, so be sure you are in OVERDUB (not OVERWRITE), in PREFERENCES.
racer25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-29-16: Thanks again, Mike for the suggestion. Had never really fooled in that area very much, so I learned a few things. I did try it from your original suggestion, but it didn’t give exactly what I was looking for. Will try your new comment and see now.

I was going to reply with the following before I saw your last post today (was traveling so no chance to see before today). Think you know what I’m trying to do on the sequencer end, and appreciate you taking the time to provide some input! Here’s what I’m trying to do with a few more details to expand on the idea of “layering”.

I layer a lot…almost everything. In the past I had an Oberheim Systemizer that did what I wanted to set up patch layering. Example: Press patch 12 and all keyboards would set to whatever sound patch I had programmed into the systemizer, to layer & play all. Press patch 22 and all changed to a completely different layer. It was great for the technology back then! Wish I hadn’t sold it (have said that many times on a lot of past gear). I’ve yet to find anything that can do what I used to be able to do with that module.

To layer:
First, I want to be able to set all three boards (or more) to different patches/sounds and layer them together. Example: Oasys on combi UC32 (using Karma function on), Karma kbd on patch D66, and JD800 on patch 42. I use combi UC-32 as-is, but I have to manually set the other two boards to whatever patch I want (all three on midi ch #1). A work-around to getting all three boards set to the correct patch would be to copy/save them to new locations on the Karma and JD800 (i.e. whatever patch change is represented by the Oasys on channel #1). I’d like to avoid that, but have tried other things and a no-go. Ideally, I would load that song (or even a combi) and everything presets to where it should be on the other boards. I’m sure there’s someway to do this, and someone had suggested that I just use my DAW for it (I used Sonar X3). Haven’t tried that yet.

Thanks again! Will try your suggestion here and reply back.

(PS: I’ve used your tutorial to split & load stereo .wav files into the O, and you really explain things so well…thanks!)

Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will come back to this post, after Saturday. You can use the OASYS sequencer to select patches. Allow MIDI Program Change on all units.

Btw, my above example... If you try that, I think you can actually put the KARMA keyboard on channel 1 and put the OASYS and other board on channel 2. I think you can just record to Track 1 and make the program change there, without having to copy it to track 2. Haven't tried it yet. More, later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: