Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer Powerplay P1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobra Jet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Behringer Powerplay P1 Reply with quote

I have just stared to look at the in ear monitors and due to the price of the wireless ones I started to look at the Behringer Powerplay P1. Has anyone used this and how did it work out for you? Did you just use it for keys, vocals or both?
jimiki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their logo is "ear"

To me it is to damage the ear.. Laughing Laughing

it's up to you to buy depending on your budget Rolling Eyes
black953mj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually used one and despite the bashing that Behringer (sometimes justifiably) endures it worked as advertised with no major issues.

Sound quality was fine - it was used with a full mix of the band coming in minus my keys and vocals, I used the level adjustment on the P1 to get my personal mix for my key and vocals where I wanted them.

Again, no issues, good enough sound quality for the cost - overall positive experience.

Hope this helps!
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
FJR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the P1, but our band has used a P-16 system with an XR18 for about a year now, and have had no major problems.

The one small problem, was that the wireless router on the x-18 is too weak, and we had to add an external wireless router (our sound guy uses a tablet to do FOH on the XR18).

The system has performed excellent so far, and it really shines once you get your own personal mix dialed in and eq'd.
tcornishmn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a sound company and use P1s to augment my wireless in-ears. For what they are, they're fine. The weak part is the battery door and connector. I never use the battery - I always use the AC adapter and I tape the adapter cord to the XLR cables and it doesn't go anywhere.

Other than that, it does what I want it to do, and it sounds and works fine.

Some people don't understand that though it has XLR inputs, they are not mic-level, they are line-level, and so need the output of a mixer or other line-level device (the Kronos is fine) to drive them.

There are several more expensive products than the P1 that do the same thing, but if you always use external power, I don't think they add much.
Cobra Jet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcornishmn wrote:
I run a sound company and use P1s to augment my wireless in-ears. For what they are, they're fine. The weak part is the battery door and connector. I never use the battery - I always use the AC adapter and I tape the adapter cord to the XLR cables and it doesn't go anywhere.

Other than that, it does what I want it to do, and it sounds and works fine.

Some people don't understand that though it has XLR inputs, they are not mic-level, they are line-level, and so need the output of a mixer or other line-level device (the Kronos is fine) to drive them.

There are several more expensive products than the P1 that do the same thing, but if you always use external power, I don't think they add much.

Thanks for all the info. My plan is to run two feeds into the P1 both vocals and my Kronos. For the vocals I thought I would just run an XLR out of our singers JBL EON 610 floor monitor to the P1. For the keys I was planning on running an XLR from my Roland KC550 to the P1 for smaller venues where I don’t run to FOH. For larger shows I thought I could go straight from one of the ¼ outs on the Kronos to the P1 and not even bring my Roland.

Does that sound like it would work well?
jmol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work als far als I can tell, as long as you're comfortable running mono signal from your Kronos in your P1. I prefer stereo. That's why I'm using a small mixer for wired IEM. I'm mixing Main L/R of the K and a XLR input with total band mix (vocals in your case). Out 1/2 from the K is going to the FOH mix. During gigging I'm only changing the volume of the K, using its volume knob. I'm only missing a limiter, but the P1 doesn't have one either.
Cobra Jet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I picked up a Powerplay P1 and have used it a few times at practice. I’m running an XLR from our mixers monitor out into the Powerplay for my vocals. I’m also running an XLR from my KC550 into the Powerplay for my Kronos. I’ve tried both over ear and ear buds and I like the sound I’m getting. My one concern is I feel isolated from the rest of the band and I’m having a hard time hearing how loud my keys are. Our bass player keeps telling me to turn up. Have others experienced this and will I get accustom to it over time. My other thought is to either only use one of the ear buds and or only pipe vocals into it and see how I like it.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know too much about the Powerplay P1 specifically, but I have an XR18 and now a pair of Turbosound IP2000s and I can attest that new Music Group equipment is very good. If I needed what the Powerplay P1 does I would not hesitate for a second to get one.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra Jet wrote:
So I picked up a Powerplay P1 and have used it a few times at practice. I’m running an XLR from our mixers monitor out into the Powerplay for my vocals. I’m also running an XLR from my KC550 into the Powerplay for my Kronos. I’ve tried both over ear and ear buds and I like the sound I’m getting. My one concern is I feel isolated from the rest of the band and I’m having a hard time hearing how loud my keys are. Our bass player keeps telling me to turn up. Have others experienced this and will I get accustom to it over time. My other thought is to either only use one of the ear buds and or only pipe vocals into it and see how I like it.

Unless you're doing a very small setup like a duo or trio I would only trust in-ears when there is a sound guy for the FOH. I also really love the clear and wide sound you get from keyboards with in ear monitoring but if you guys are doing your own sound and it's a loud band, it's really really hard to get the balance right since you hear yourself so well no matter what.
Cobra Jet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Cobra Jet wrote:

Unless you're doing a very small setup like a duo or trio I would only trust in-ears when there is a sound guy for the FOH. I also really love the clear and wide sound you get from keyboards with in ear monitoring but if you guys are doing your own sound and it's a loud band, it's really really hard to get the balance right since you hear yourself so well no matter what.

Well we are a four piece classic rock band that sometimes tends to play a bit too loud. As you might expect, each person has a habit of turning up as the nights goes on because they can’t hear their own instrument. Most places we play are small and we provide the PA. We set the mixer up during sound check and our singer typically tweaks the board as needed. I was hoping the in ears would allow me to hear myself over the others without adding to the volume arms race that seems to happen near the end of the night. Perhaps the in ear is not the best choice for our current setup and a floor monitor for my vocals might work better.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In ears definitely help with the volume race on stage, not to mention they actually cut a lot of volume on stage because you don't have a monitor. But if you have nobody there to do FOH it's tricky. Do you get a band mix in your in ears or just yourself?
Cobra Jet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
In ears definitely help with the volume race on stage, not to mention they actually cut a lot of volume on stage because you don't have a monitor. But if you have nobody there to do FOH it's tricky. Do you get a band mix in your in ears or just yourself?

It so new for me but I've been only getting the whole bands vocals and my keys.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well it's definitely helpful to get a bandmix. I don't get a lot of drum overheads or anything but there's definitely some guitar and bass in there. Actually a lot of bass because I really like the bass player and we communicate a lot haha. You can still put yourself "on top" but if you have a more balanced band mix it'll be easier to judge whether your own volume is alright. If, as the evening is progressing, you find that you can hear less of yourself, don't just turn up your monitoring, turn up the keyboard as a whole until the balance is similar again.

This is all assuming you don't have anyone doing FOH because then I would totally recommend letting them worry about it instead of getting into a loudness war with the other band members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: