Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg T2 Display Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinko97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Korg T2 Display Replacement Reply with quote

Hi to the newsgroup!
This post is to tell the NG about my experience replacing a dead lcd screen on a Korg T2 workstation.

This is a friend's keyboard, which he gave to me hoping that I could resurrect it. In fact it appeared completely dead... no text on the screen,
no red lights on the buttons and, of course, no sound.

This is what the original LCD display was showing at powerup

After having checked that the voltages at the power board were correct, I decided to replace the whole lcd display, in the hope that it could give me additional information on what was wrong.

I've ordered the replacement at

[url]
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Blue-LCD-240x64-Graphic-Display-Module-LCM-w-T6963-Controller-White-Backlight-/301017373646?
[/url]

the company is china based, their web is at www.buydisplay.com, I've paid around 30 $. after 1 month it was in my mailbox.

This display differs from the original as it as two additional contacts on the connector. They are for lcd led backlight. I've used the original connector to connect it to the power board but I had to make some modifications.

On the power board I've removed one of the bridge wires going from transformer to the white connector and added a 220 ohm resistor to the 5V line (see pictures)

I've repaired the black plastic button "springs" gluing some plastic shapes
see also the wires going to the connector backlight leds

As per contrast control, since the new display provides -20 Volts at pin 20, I've added a 10K ohm pot on the main board as follows: central sweeper at pin 4, the other two contacts of pot one to ground, the other to pin 20. With this configuration it is connected in parallel to the original pot and I had no need to modify the main board with heavy changes. See pic:

Now, when I power up the keyboard, I got this on the display:

and this:

and since I know nothing about this keyboard, my question is: do I need to reload all the factory sounds ? In that case I need factory disks, I guess!

Is anyone out there willing to help?

Synthjoe! I've read that you might have something useful? Wink

Thanks you all!
Angelo

Last edited by pinko97 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
T3owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg T2 Display Replacement Reply with quote

T2/3 preload in SysEx format:
http://www.sysexdb.com/binaryview.aspx?IDSysexMessage=1729

If you don't have a MIDI interface, your friend might.

Otherwise, someone like synthjoe might be willing to provide a disk image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: