Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kilkenny Irish cream

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Kilkenny Irish cream Reply with quote

Back Christmas 2014 Guiness imported a very limited supply of this stuff in a holiday beer pack. I am not a beer drinker but this one was incredible. Sadly, I can not get it here. Does anyone with knowledge of this brew know of any similar brews that might be available in my area. Just name some similar ones and I will find out if a can get them. Thanks!

Currently drinking a Guiness Draught or Boddingtons pub ale occasionally but neither is as good as the Kilkenny Irish cream was. Thanks again!
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Caffreys.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will look for it, sadly I do not remember ever seeing it, it may be another that just isn't imported here. Fingers crossed!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit, I've only ever tried Caffreys and Kilkenny once.

Seems almost a waste of time drinking it when you have Guinness on tap. Beer

When it come to Guinness they say it's the same no matter where in the world you drink it, but this is total nonsense. Even here in Ireland. It's down to the pub where it's served, the pipes, temperature and how they serve it.

A real pint of Guinness should almost come with a spoon it's so creamy. Thankfully my local would be one of the best pubs around for a great pint. The worst pint of Guinness I ever got was directly across the road from the Guinness factory in Dublin. They didn't even leave it stand before topping it up. I may as well asked for a warm pint of fizzy soap.

Regards
Sharp.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I would come to Ireland just for fresh Guiness draught! I can only get cans or Bottles or Draught, stout (not my favorite) or Blonde which I haven't tried. Boddingtons is ok if a little on the watery side, to me quite different then the Kilkenny or Guiness draught.

I haven't found the other mentioned. Seems the US is turning into quite the IPA place, there are so many IPAs at my store you could spend 30 minutes just browsing them.

I don't care for the really stout that seem to tear at your tongue the whole time. Guinness draught is the best of what I can get so far! Anyone try Guiness blonde?

My grandmother was a Strutters form the Irish side not the Scottish side, although i think she found out there was some connection there. I might have to plan a trip sometime since I find the history there fairly interesting. I probably won't ever have the cash for that but I can dream!

Do they serve the Guiness chilled? Someone told me beers overseas from the US are served warm or room temp. I found the odd as most beer here tastes like piss water warm!
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah I would come to Ireland just for fresh Guiness draught!

And you would be most welcome here too. Happy to give the grand tour anytime.

Quote:
I can only get cans or Bottles or Draught, stout (not my favorite)

A taste of Ireland, but not the same at all as a pint right out of the tap. I find that bottles or cans have a kind of processed taste to them, not the same as a fresh pint from the tap at all.

Quote:
My grandmother was a Strutters form the Irish side not the Scottish side, although i think she found out there was some connection there. I might have to plan a trip sometime since I find the history there fairly interesting. I probably won't ever have the cash for that but I can dream!

The Scottish and Irish would be like brothers and sisters in many ways. The word Celtic directly relates to both Irish and Scottish, so it's all the same for most here. There's a deep connection and bond here between Scotland and Ireland.

Quote:
Do they serve the Guiness chilled?

Yes, pretty much every pub will have it chilled, but you will also find some offering a second option, “extra cold” Guinness. Yummy.

Quote:
Someone told me beers overseas from the US are served warm or room temp. I found the odd as most beer here tastes like piss water warm!

Typically across all Europe you will find everything from the Tap chilled. There are the odd dodgy place though in every town that should be avoided.

There's actually some great Beers across all the EU. England, Denmark, Germany... yummy. The choices are quite great to be honest.

It's not just the drink either. Every place in the EU has it's local charm.

Regards
Sharp.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also heard they drink beers warmer in the UK. We definitely also don't "let it stand" before topping it up. But of course most beers on tap over here are Pilsner which is super light. I prefer the darker/stronger ones too and they're not very good with a foam top.

According to beer makers, cans are actually really good containers because they keep the light out much better than a bottle and there csn be no variation of content like with a tap. They're absolutely horrible to drink from though Smile

Over here they actually say that "it's happening" in the US, beer wise, at the moment.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp thanks! Funny but I was reading beer reviews and one person wrote The Guiness they got on tap was like a whole meal and he almost needed a spoon it was so thick! I never perceived it as thick but it could be true it sure is a lot heavier then the beers I used to drink.
SanderXpander there is a lot going on beer wise here but I have no idea how it rates everywhere else. Other then the three I mentioned I like I just can't get into the IPA style of beer, the taste bite after taste just is off to my tastebuds. I do however like a good rum especially mixed in a good Brewer ginger soda, that is is a totally different subject though. I did see one or two Irish red beers and ales. I might just have to try them and see. I just hate wasting money on beer if I don't like it so I was hopeful for some good suggestions which is obviously hard because of location. But back to the things are happening here comment, there certainly are a lot of craft breweries now, micro brews, a lot, seems like every other day you here of a new beer. Thanks everyone!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly in the world do you live? Here in Toronto Canada you can buy it in just about every Liquor store. We have incredibly antiquated laws about selling anything with alcohal in it so we have to go to specific stores. Just a few months ago a law was finally changed to allow beer to be sold in some grocery stores. They first had to buy a permit for some ridiculous figure.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the IPA stuff either. Generally I like Belgian beers and some of our own Southern brews. Do you guys get any Belgian beers?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the IPA's are generally too strong for me. I prefer beers with a maximum 5% alcohol level. I have been tasting what are called India Session ales and these tend to be in the 4% or lower range. I don't mind the taste of IPA though.
We do get some Belgian beers here. Is Tuborg Belgian? I like that one. Especially the Tuborg Gold.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in South Dakota, I think there are a few begin ales and some wheats around here, a lot of the same old same old like bass bud miller etc.. Boulevard but IPA is all over and the flavor isn't for me. I saw some wheat beers also.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's Kilkenny you want then Wheat beers won't cut it. Too bad you live so far away form the Ontario border. Even though I haven't bought it in the store, whenever I go to my local pub called McGrady's, I pretty much only drink Kilkenny on tap. When I do buy it in the store it comes in a pack of 4 tall cans. They use the same widget as in the Guiness Draught so you get the perfect creamy head on top!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get pulled tin Winnipeg once every few years and Brandon. I will have to make it a point to pick some up next time I go there. Winnipeg is actually closer then some of the farther dealers i have to visit but because I am in the US it is frowned upon to go there for any work. I need to justify it well at the border.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Wiinepeg Liquor Mart. They might carry it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: